unmountable volume

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

This morning, I spent about 2 hours watching my computer boot up after adjusting various things (kicking pc & such :lol: ), only to restart after flashing the blue screen momentarily. I decided to be resourceful, got out my digital camera, video recorded the boot process, & still-framed the blue screen. Turned out to be an unmountable volume on my HD.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

I recently defragged my HD, and that's about the only thing I could think of that could have caused this problem. To recover, I used my WinXPSP2 CD, went to recovery, & ran chkdsk /r - After that, everyone worked just fine. I am now in the process of finding a good freeware backup software for my 80gig HD to back up to a 20gig HD.

Is this going to be an impossibility due to the compression size I would need? Optimally, I would love to back up to DVD, but do not yet have a DVD burner. I would like the image to have the capabilities for total recovery after format. Any suggestions?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

ntbackup is free and comes with Windows, I don't think you will be able to cram 80GB into 20 though.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would all depend on how much of that 80GB drive is in use.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts