Upgrade PC now?

• alantan1982
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • alantan1982

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently I posted that my HDD is having some wired problem and I don't know how to fix it, :cry: So, I plan to get a new HDD.

The Question is, should I get a IDE HDD OR SATA HDD? I plan to get a SATA HDD and upgrade my motherboard. However, My friend told me that the PC now revolutionize. He say that I should wait for another year and get myself a new PC. From what he say, PC in 2005 will be very different compare to nowadays PC, in terms of technology. (eg. from 486 to pentium). I'm not sure I should just get a new IDE HDD and maintain my old PC for another year and get myself a new one at that time or upgrade now. What do you think?

a) get a new IDE HDD and maintain for another year?
b) get a motherboard and SATA HDD, maintain my processor, Athlon XP 2000?

and what kind of HDD is better in terms of reliability, speed. what brand?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

depending on what you think is exspensive and what you get for a MOBO, they are relitively cheap, so if you want SATA go for it it won't be much of an investment. I have never used SATA and I am inclined to wait until the technology is a little more proven, but that is just me.

As far as brands both Western Digital and Maxtor make good drives for a decent price.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Things are always changing in the PC world. There is no perfect time to buy, so buy when you need to.

I would definitely upgrade your MOBO and get SATA. It's the future and IDE is slowly exiting the marketplace.

Western Digital is always a good bet for hard drives. They're reliable, cheap, and are some of the best.

Here's a Western Digital drive with 200 GB or storage space for only $117:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 153&depa=1
  • askldsdklaghj
  • askldsdklaghj

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out http://www.newegg.com very good pricesses with user rating so u can see wat other ppl think :lol:
  • jschultz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Fargo, ND

Post 3+ Months Ago

i agree with TomK that EIDE is moving out of the sphere of modern technology but i don't see it completely leaving for quite some time. These days SATA isn't really worth it. Unless you have a pressing need for it like doing huge installs of Red Hat or something fun like that then there's nothing to need it for right now.

EIDE is the way to go right now, until SATA is done entering and is more used so it doesn't cost as much as it does. that's just me.

well that's just me and my 2 cents
JDS
  • Lefty
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: North Dakota, United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Along with the above is the fact that computers are always changing...if you wait to buy a computer for the "next big thing" you will always be waiting.

If your on a budget stick with IDE, if you can sport the money jump to SATA, you can even get MOBO's with both so you put up a little now and can add SATA later. ASUS P4P800E is one choice.
  • jschultz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Fargo, ND

Post 3+ Months Ago

i guess my biggest reason for waiting for the SATA upgrade is because there's no reason to have the upgrade right now. The bandwidth that SATA has isn't being used at a level where there's a pressing need to update right now... it's not so much that it's not going to be a good standard it's that the standard isn't being used enough.. I guess that's what i was trying to say and didn't get pushed enough

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts