Upgrade Worth It?

• sigpro552
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sigpro552

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just upgraded my memory (1GB to 2GB, nothing fancy) and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to install a new video card. I'm currently running an ATI X800XL (really old I know), and I was thinking about upgrading that as well. I have a LGA775 P4 64-bit processor (3.0ghz), but I'm wondering if that would cause a bottleneck in my system. I'm thinking about getting a HD 3870 to replace my current card, but I'm wondering if I will even see that much of an increase playing on XP with my current processor.

Should I get it, or just wait and upgrade my mobo and processor?

Thanks in advance.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• sigpro552
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sigpro552

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, after looking, I've found that most people put the 8800GT ahead of the HD3870. I'm wondering how it is possible that the 8800GT scores higher with lower core and memory speeds.

Also, if anyone could give me some insight into whether or not my P4 processor will limit these cards, that would be greatly appreciated.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Clock speed isnt everything anymore. Alot of it has to do with the architecture. Check out http://www.tomshardware.com/
  • sigpro552
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sigpro552

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Mastermind.

I'm wondreing how much of an impact my processor will have. It's not a C2D, but is still a 64-bit P4. It's on the lower end of the spectrum I'm guessing by now, especially with the CPUs that have come out.

I'm going to be running at 1680x1050 w/ 8800GT clocked to 700/2000 on XP SP2. However, if my CPU is going to crap on me, I'm just going to wait and get a new CPU/mobo in addition to the video card.

Thanks.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you going to be playing some newer games? If that's the case, it might bottleneck your system.

I'm talking about games like COD4 and Crysis.

I don't think it would make a HUGE impact, but upgrading your mobo/processor is always beneficial in the gaming community.
  • sigpro552
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • sigpro552

Post 3+ Months Ago

I play COD4 mostly right now, with some CS:S splashed in. I'd really just like to get COD4 up to its graphic potential, as right now it kinda looks like CS 1.6 (lower-end settings).

I've decided to go with a 8800GTS G92 and an Intel E2160. However, my current mobo doesn't support the dual-core processors, so I'd have to get one of those too... At this point in time, I'm just looking into building an entirely new system. Right now I have a MircoATX board and case, and that is going to be quite cramped and too hot imo for what I'm planning on doing.

Now I have to decide if dropping $600+ is worth it atm...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts