Upgraded w/ Crucial Memory, now I can't get PC to boot

• edgrbishop
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a 256mb crucial stick of 2700 non-parity ram, a 512mb stick of Optima, non-par. My PC was running fine. Crucial and Intel both say my PC can support up to 2gigs of PC 2700 (ddr 333). I bought a 1 gig stick of 2700 non-par. ram from crucial. I powered down Win XP (SP2), unplugged my PC, removed my AGP card, and then removed all memory.

(oh, I do have a grounding strap, which I had on since before opening the case)

I Installed the 512 in slot 1 and the 1 Gig into slot 0. I installed the AGP card and plugged in the PC and powered it up. As the PC powered up, I heard 3 beeps (sounded long, but all sites list it as short) Bios is by AMI.

I uninstalled the memory, and AGP.... Inserted just the 256mb stick, still 3 beeps. I tried the original config. with the 256 and 512, still beeped. I tried various configs with no AGP card, still beeped. I tried no PCI, no AGP, and no memory, it still beeped.

Per all info I was able to find, 3 beeps = memory problem.

Quote:
3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure

Reseat the memory.
Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.
Try using RAM chips from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.
Trying known good memory in the system.
Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.
Swap the motherboard.

I am currently trying to contact a friend who has a memory tester, and should have an extra stick/motherboard to help me check the above procedures. If the memory is good we will test on another PC/motherboard. If they are all bad, do I insert another stick in my motherboard? Is something damaged in my motherboard? I contacted Crucial went through their troubleshooting procedures, and they jumped at the fact my motherbaord (magically decided to go bad at this point), I am sending the memory back to get tested.

Questions???

1. Can a bad stick, damage a motherboard?

2. I heard something about AGP and DDR having conflicts, was I supposed to boot with memory and without the AGP card in?

3. I also get no video with the monitor hooked to AGP card/pci video card installed. Could my memory/GPU be damaged?

4. Can I hold Crucial responsible for damages if their RAM is corrupt?

4a. If so how do I prove it's there fault?

4b. If it's there fault are they liable for anything but there memory?

4c. If it's there memory only, does that include all memory I have by them (256mb and 1 Gig.)
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure your memory isn't defective, I'd run Memtest.

Second, Make sure you pushed hard on them. Are they well connected?

Third: Try only the gig RAM. If it beeps like that, take it out and try the 512Mb one. If it beeps normally, return you 1GB RAM and get another one; it's defective
  • edgrbishop
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried all that....

I am sending the memory back on Friday, I am currently looking for a new motherboard, looks like a small resistor was knocked of as well as my bios chips connector smashed....probably when the tech told me to remove it to make sur the board wasn't warped or cracked.

New question, since now I know whatever the origional problem was, I now know I have a damaged board. What is a good board that would allow me to use my P4 2.53 processor?

I am looking at pricewatch, they range from roughly $20 up! Don't have a lot to spend so the cheaper the better. But I also don't want to end up with a you get what you pay for, type of deal.

Asus, Shuttle, Intel, Gigabyte? Is there one more reliable? Which one gives you more flexability? Also I would like one with 3-4 slots of memory and and atleast 2 gig memory capacity.

Thanks all who took the time to read and are trying to find an answer to my original problem. I went searching for a problem, and I found one, whether it was the origional problem or not....It's now the main problem.

I will try to see what I can find on Pricewatch, I will not do anything until atleast Friday. I will most likely wait until the weekends over, before I buy something.
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I need your socket type for your CPU.

I can't tell you a good mobo without the socket type
  • edgrbishop
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a Pentium 4 P4 2.53GHz 533MHz Socket 478 Processor (Northwood)

So far I like Gigabyte's motherboard with it's options.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts