Upgrading a Dell 3000

• swingandmiss
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • swingandmiss

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just received a Dell 3000. However, I want to do some significant upgrades to it. I used to follow all the latest and greatest, but have been out of the loop for a few years. It is a P4 2.8, 256mb, 40GB, etc... just the basic Dell 3000.

This is what I want to do.

Hard drive:
I want to install around 200gb data disk while keeping the original 40 gb as the system disk. Currently the main disk is connected to one controller and is Ultra ATA/100. The CD-ROM is attached to another controller and has one more connection on the cable. Can I attach any IDE hard drive to the controller that has the CD-ROM? The other controller cable only has one connector on it.

GFX:
The motherboard has an integrated video card. I want to install an NVIDIA card. Can I just install any NVIDIA card to a PCI slot (no AGP on the motherboard)? Any suggestions for a sub-$80 NVIDIA PCI card?

Memory:
It currently has 256mb PC-3200. I think I'm going to install http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductde ... 440&DEPA=0 and remove the current memory. Any problems with this?

DVD burner:
I want to install a Sony DVD burner. I can remove the current CD-ROM and install the new burner, correct? Anything I need to watch out for here?

And I also would like to add firewire. Anyway to add it?

Thanks for the help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard drive: ATA controllers can handle up to two devices so you can hook it up to the cdroms cable, or find a new cable and keep both hard drives on one.

GFX: That'll work fine, I'd just use newegg to find all cards under 80.

Memory: link didin't work, but as long as you replace with a pc-3200 you should be fine.

DVD burner: I would suggest finding that second ATA cable, and keeping your cdrom in as to not overuse the dvd-burner for normal day to day usage.

Firewire can be done through a PCI card if you have the slot.
  • swingandmiss
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • swingandmiss

Post 3+ Months Ago

I updated the link. Sorry about that.

Any suggestions on video cards? There's about 25 NVIDIA cards from $30-$80. Not really sure what to get.

I don't have to room to keep the CD-ROM and a DVD burner in the case. There's only room for 3 drives - two of which are hard disks. Although, I think the power supply can handle it. Maybe I can rig something up...
  • swingandmiss
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • swingandmiss

Post 3+ Months Ago

For the drive, will any ATA drive work? Or do I need to get an Ultra ATA/100 specific drive?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any ATA drive is backwards compatible with UATA/100, but I believe you really won't find anything but UATA/100. Maybe a 10...obviously SATA won't work, that's a whole different interface.

If you have room under your 3.5 bays in your case you can use a few of the PCI brackets with holes drilled in them and then fastened securely to the base of your case as an additional 3.5 bay. That's a bit of a tricky thing because you'll probably have to empty your case...

And I really don't know about nvidia cards all that well, the whole modeling system confuses me too much.
  • swingandmiss
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • swingandmiss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I guess I can make a mount for it. There's room where the floppy would have gone. Anything I need to watch out for? Do I need to check the power supply specs?
  • swingandmiss
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • swingandmiss

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will an Ultra ATA133 drive work with my Ultra ATA100?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

is it just ATA133? I would be willing to guess it'd work but I would double check.
  • grievous91
  • grievous91

Post 3+ Months Ago

i also am upgrading my dell 3000 and wanted to know wether the port was pci or pci express and maybe a suggestion of a good graphic card for the pric or 150 - 250
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

None of you guys have pci-e that is a newer technology based to replace the agp slot/cards.

PCI-Express explained:
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PCI_Express.html

PCI Explained:
Stands for "Peripheral Component Interconnect." It is a hardware bus designed by Intel and used in both PCs and Macs. Most add-on cards such as SCSI, Firewire, and USB controllers, use a PCI connection. Some graphics cards use PCI, but most new graphics cards connect to the AGP slot. PCI slots are found in the back of your computer and are about 3.5" long and about 0.5" high. So before you go buy that Firewire expansion card, make sure you have at least one PCI slot available.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/PCI.html

WC
  • wbr6
  • Born
  • Born
  • wbr6

Post 3+ Months Ago

swingandmiss wrote:

Hard drive:
I want to install around 200gb data disk while keeping the original 40 gb as the system disk. Currently the main disk is connected to one controller and is Ultra ATA/100. The CD-ROM is attached to another controller and has one more connection on the cable. Can I attach any IDE hard drive to the controller that has the CD-ROM? The other controller cable only has one connector on it.

I have the same Dimension 3000 and I added a 160GB WD 7200RPM EIDE harddrive using a bracket I found from eBay and only cost me around $12. I used the IDE cable came with the new hard drive to connect both drives.

Here is the one I found: :arrow:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcloveriver

Hope this would be useful to anyone who wants an easy upgrade on storage.

wbr

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts