Upgrading Notebook processor

• posterscorner
  • Born
  • Born
  • posterscorner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have any of you been able to upgrade the processor in your notebook? If so, what resource did you use to see what you could use, and where did you purchase your processor upgrade from? Notebooks in general seem to be a pain to upgrade anything in them except for the hard drive and memory.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never worked on a notebook but see what tigerdirect.com has to offer as far as parts go.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

its a good question you have posted poster corner. im interested to know as well
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Notebooks generally have a socket just like any other mobo, you will need to find the specs on your mobo, maybe on the manufactures site, to know what socket it has and what speeds it will support. Now for the hard part, open the laptop up and just replace the processor like you would in a desktop, be careful to note the heat sink placement and make sure it is put back in correctly, you may also wish to use some thermal compound on it.

Also it is important to think, if your notebook runs a little on the hot side a faster processor is going to make it run hotter, and you don't want that.

Laptops are becoming easier and easier to upgrade, but you still need to realize they are not desktops, and everything inside is designed specifically for the amount of heat it produces in factory conditions.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could be really unlucky like one of the people I helped out and find that your CPU is physicaly connected to the mobo in which case ... well, I`m sure you know.
  • crackbabies
  • crackbabies

Post 3+ Months Ago

All most all notebook processors are non-replacable, unless you have a Alienware or top of the line Falcon. If you want to replace the CPU you have to replace the whole motherboard, and if you are going to do that you might need to replace other components that are connected directly to the motherboard, and if that happens you might as well replace the whole computer.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some Laptops dont support upgrades, some do.
what are you running (chip & PC name)?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not the original poster but I just found out that someone is going to give me an old Toshiba with windows 98. It has no ethernet capabilities, wired or wireless. I was wondering if I could change the motherboard and processor to make that happen. I can install w2k so that part isn't a problem. I'm willing to spend $200.
  • darksat
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: London (via the rest of the world)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just get a PCMCIA network card or Wireless network Card.

or a USB Wireless Keyring.
Costs about $40
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought of that too but if it's cheap enough, I'll go all the way with it.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

crackbabies wrote:
All most all notebook processors are non-replacable, unless you have a Alienware or top of the line Falcon. If you want to replace the CPU you have to replace the whole motherboard, and if you are going to do that you might need to replace other components that are connected directly to the motherboard, and if that happens you might as well replace the whole computer.

That is totally wrong, in my experience which includes well over 200+ repairs on notebooks, very few had the processor soldered to the mobo, and most of the ones I have worked on are cheaper laptops. A lot of dell's seemed to have the soldered but most other brands do not.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My cheap Compaq Presario V2405US has a mobile socket 754. I have taken the CPU out, and held it in my hand. Most laptops have removable, although not necessarily upgradeable, CPUs.

From what I hear, an AMD Turion 2.0GHz Lancaster would be quite an improvement over my AMD Mobile Sempron 1.79GHz Albany, in performance, heat, and battery life. What are your thoughts? Is it that much of an improvement? I have already upgraded the RAM to 1280MB and the processor is now my bottleneck...
  • mashokreddys
  • Born
  • Born
  • mashokreddys

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
i am using an old laptop of Acer TravelMate 2413NLMi
Intel Celeron M processor 370(1.5GHz, 400 MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)

my laptop CPU process is 100% if i do multitasking...
can i change my processor...
please help me.....

Thanxs......

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts