Upgrading My PC

• dmoney101
  • Born
  • Born
  • dmoney101

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now, my computer is pretty crappy. The only thing really decent about it has a 2.66ghz CPU. If I can just get a new video card and more RAM, it would be pretty good, I think. Right now, I have an Intel(R) 82845 integrated vid card and 128mb of RAM. I've found good upgrades for only $135
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1828833&Sku=P450-8576
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=586829&Sku=ULT30215
Can I get some opinions/ comments? How can I find out if this stuff is compatible with my PC or not as well? Here is my current PC http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... =bsd&cs=04
The only difference I'm sure of is that mine only has 128mb of RAM. Yeah, I know it's crap.[/url]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Find out if your motherboard has PCI-E 16x slot. If it doesn't, you can't support that video card.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

That cpu is decent for now, but sooner or later you will be kicking yourself over forking out money for that almost expired cpu. You're better off buying a new cpu, graphics card and motherbaord. But if you're just wanting better performance or to play some oldies then upgrading is a good choice.

Well @ the end of the day it's your call 8)
  • dmoney101
  • Born
  • Born
  • dmoney101

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm thinking about just building a brand new one.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can afford it; I'm all for it! :D

If it interest you I recently built my own comp too!
- AMD 3200+ Venice Core
- Asus A8N-E
- 120 gb Samsung hard drive
- X700 pro 128 GDDR3
- 512 generic ram*

All that for $675 NZ Dolars! (lol; it may actually cost less in US)

*grabbed ram out of old comp.
:D
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have a dimension 1100? or did dell re-assign that link. if so you will notice that the 1100 is selling for $300 right now. it doesnt have any slot to expand the video card [it only has pci, not agp or pci-e] therefore you can only do a pci graphics card. i suggest looking on http://www.newegg.com/ for a *pci* graphics card, and maybe some ram. otherwise, break this computer and get another one.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli
  • Loc: Cleveland

Post 3+ Months Ago

you may even be able to sell it on craigslist.org or ebay. if you get $50 for it, that is better than nothing! you can part it out and keep your hard drive as well - or use the machine as a file server for backup. Always good to have an extra drive around.

good luck!
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can salvage some stuff, do it, be carefu not to indulge.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hahah a 2.66ghz CPU is ancient? I'm running on a 1.8ghz P4 and upgrading soon, but it runs fine for me. I don't do much gaming, pretty much just Miranda IM, Winamp, and Photoshop.

Anyway, if your comp doesn't have a PCIe x16 slot you're better off buying a new comp. Maybe you could salvage the HD from your old Dell.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts