Upgrading My Two Year Old PC

• wortho8
  • Student
  • Student
  • wortho8

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok so i built my current pc around two years ago now i think and the hardware is very outdated so i'm thinking of upgrading mainly my graphics card and memory.

I currently have an nvidia 7800gt and was thinking of buying another and going for the sli option, but was wondering that would i have to upgrade my cooling system within the pc. i have a clear case atm with 6 80mm fans. Now would this be efficient enough for both of the graphics cards or would i need to upgrade this as well. Now water cooling is out of the question because i wouldn't have a clue on how to install a unit so i would like to steer clean of that.

Now with my memory i have 2X 512mb corsair xms3200 i believe its just standard DDR ( the 1s with the led's on top) now because i have this size memory would i be able to have 2more memory sticks both obviously of the same make and model but with say 1gb per stick, and also i cant seem to find any online. Is this model still available online or has it been replaced with a newer version?

thanks for your time
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• snail
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • snail

Post 3+ Months Ago

As for the water cooling, check out this unit(review):

http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/14137/103/

I believe it fits the 775 socket CPU chip.

I think I saw a 2GB GPU at micro center.
When you say this: "Now with my memory i have 2X 512mb corsair xms3200 i believe its just standard DDR ( the 1s with the led's on top)"

are you saying that your RAM has LED's on it? (light emitting diodes)

Do you know if your motherboard can support the upgrades you are thinking about? Can your BIOS?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to say rather look at buying a new GPU than adding another 7800 ... that card is outdated and has long been overtaken by the newer cards ... something like the GTX280 is more powerfull than two 7800 in sLi ...

Aren't you going to upgrade the CPU? What do you have in there right now?

About that RAM ... if you still have DDR1 333 I think it might be time to actually upgrade the MoBo aswell and get faster RAM like DDR3 1066 which these days is actually cheaper than buying DDR1 RAM ...

How much do you want to spend on this computer?
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's your current setup? Motherboard, CPU, Graphics, PSU, etc?

It might be cheaper and easier to buy a new computer than upgrade the current.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

alex89 wrote:
What's your current setup? Motherboard, CPU, Graphics, PSU, etc?

It might be cheaper and easier to buy a new computer than upgrade the current.

Yeah, sometimes you can get a few good deals, but usually I just upgrade the MoBo, CPU, RAM and GPU and keep my case and screen and IO devices as they are ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts