Upgrading PC with mobo, CPU and Ram - feedback please

• mmreagle
  • Born
  • Born
  • mmreagle
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi All, I am one of those guys who does a lot of research but still would like some feedback on my choices. I am open to suggestions and new ideas from others with experience.
I am not a gamer but a programmer who demands good solid performance but not a lot of useless bells and whistles. I want a system that will last a while and give me few problems but solid performance. I am also budget conscious so this is also a consideration.
What I have picked out is the ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus dual core mobo, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+/2.3 processor and 4 GB of Corsair's XM S2 DHX 4096 Dual Channel PC6400 800MHz Memory.
I also want to make sure that this syste will provide me with the ability to read hdd's of 160 GB and more.

How does this combination sound to you? Any other suggestions and why!

Thanks for your input!

MMREAGLE
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

may i ask what would be the main function of you PC then? if it is for Games and 3D rendering applications, then perhaps you have to re consider your specs. Also a factor is your budget.

but on my initial say, how about considering the (AM2) AMD A64 X2 5000 Black edition? it is based on 65nm architecure with price almost the same with X2 4400.
  • mmreagle
  • Born
  • Born
  • mmreagle

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your input Thayk! I am not a gamer but do some development, mostly business applications, nothing too high def. I like your idea with that processor. Never looked at the 65nm technology before but after looking at it closer, this sounds like a good way to go.
What's your thoughts on getting a new power supply at this point? Mine is 3 years old and is currently working well.
  • HoustonIT
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • HoustonIT

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the output of your current power supply?
  • mmreagle
  • Born
  • Born
  • mmreagle

Post 3+ Months Ago

My psu was putting out 450 but it appears there were wiring differences as my new mobo wouldn't power up. I ended up buying a new one and all is fine.
Thanks for your concerns.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you already bought everything? I think you have mad a pretty solid choice there ... that processor is really nice, not as nice as the Intel Q6600 quad core imo, but it's still pretty awesome ... I would go for the quad in your situation ... each core runs at 2.4Ghz so you get a total of 9.6Ghz and it is a 64bit processor aswell ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts