URGENT: External drive problem on DELL laptop.

• pk_banana
  • Born
  • Born
  • pk_banana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello people. I'm a girl and don't know a lot about computers and stuff, but now urgently need help with the external hard drive for my laptop. I re-installed Windows XP on my Dell 5100 laptop and didnt have any problems before re-installing, but after doing so my external drive always asks me to format it to use it when plugged in to USB. I guess that formatting the drive will delete everything saved on it, so I didnt do it, but my laptop isn't allowing me to have access to the files and folders in the external drive, which is driving me mad. I can't lose the work I have saved on the external drive, so I need someone to give me a solution on what I can do to have access to my folders again without formatting and losing anything saved on it. Thank you!
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to OZZU pk_banana.

Well, I have gotten into the situtation like this before, ugh, not good. This ususally means that your hard drive is currupt :ohnoes: There are a few different things you can do, the best option costs money though. They do have places where you can send in the hard drive for them to recover the information. But me, I just had garbage on mine, so I ended up formatting. I do not know how much the recovery costs, but if the information is worth it, go for it. If someone else here has a better idea, go for that also.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a warez solution using Hirens boot CD, but ou have to download that, and again, warez discussion is not allowed on this forum and i'ver never used the features/tool on the CD so i cannot safely say how to use it.

Basically what it does though, is you boot from the cd [muc like you mustve done when you re-installed windows] and you launch [somehow] this program called "lost and Founf 1.6" This program just basically moves all the bad dat from you external drie, onto you your dell. The nly problem is, i dont think its a gui, and i don think that you can choose which files you want to put back on the dell. I asume the reason for purchasing the external hard drive in the first place was because you ran out of space, but if you do have space, i recommed this solution. Just dont rely on me to tell you how....because i dont know.

hirens bootcd also comes with this which seems easier to use but you have to buy it for 50 someodd dollars. the good thing about it is you can format your external drive, [only do a "quickformat" ] and it will recover the data anyways. the only thing is, you must have all the space ready to accomodate your files on your dell laptop.

if this has been a help...there you go, if it has raised more questions, sorry.

but its the best i can do. wait for a mod or someone better to come online.
  • Spoorzoeker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgive me, but I thought Horens bootcd is free ?.
Please coorect me if I'm wrong.

I've downloaded miniPE, which was free too, with
lots of restore and recovery programms.

Nothing helped, but Norton partition magic, installed on Windows
and run from it.

If it's acceptable to upload free programms, I will do it for you.
If not, I'm sorry. :oops:

BTW: I once deleted a partition from which I thought it was useless,
while installing XP. After it, I discovered, it was my external drive!!. :oops: :( .

I hope you didn't something!. :idea:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

hirens boot cd itself is free, but the program on it are all commercial pay and use programs, basically, its a warez collection
  • pk_banana
  • Born
  • Born
  • pk_banana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you guys for giving me advices. It's sorted now...xXx

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts