USB Drive and XP Don't get along together...

• CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently purchased a USB drive. When I plug it into my computer (Using WIndows XP), XP automatically detects it and gives me all the standard message baloons (New hardware detected, etc.)

However, I can't access it through Windows Exploder. There's no new drive mapped to my usb drive. I plugged my drive into another computer (also sunning XP), and that computer detected my usb drive and mapped the drive automatically.

So, I know that my USB drive is working and that Windows is detecting it alright. Can anyone help me?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

What brand/model drive is it?

See if you can access it from the command prompt. It should be assigned the next letter after your last drive.

For example, if you have a hard drive C:, and a cdrom: e:. then the usb drive should be f:

Go to Start | Run, enter cmd. From the command prompt, enter the drive letter: E:\ , F:\, or G:\ for example, depending on your system.

If it changes to that drive and you are able to use the dir command or copy files to this drive, then it's being detected. From there we can maybe figure out a solution.

also, you might try a google search for your particular drive and any issues it may have with xp.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using Cig@r's 128 mb 2.0 usb drive. I went to their website's forum and found that several people have problems with Windows XP detecting their usb drive. However, my problem is a bit different... Windows detected my drive, but I just can't access it through a drive letter.

JrzyCrim: Thank you very much for your response. I am presently writing this from my computer at home (I am writing this from a 2k machine and my usb drive is working fine) I'll try that tomorrow at work (My work computer is the one that I have problems with...)

Thanks, Cazpian the 11th
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a similar problem with a usb camera. Normally, when I connected it to my computer, it would automatically open a window and would show up as h: in My Computer. After my system crashed and I had to re-install XP, it wouldn't show up anymore. Windows still detected it, as in your case, but I couldn't access it from my computer. I could still access it through the command prompt as h:\. As a work around, I made a new shortcut on my desktop for H:\ .

This might work for you if you have tweakui installed. Launch that and go to My Computer > AutoPlay > Drives and enable AutoPlay for the drives. Also, under AutoPlay > Types, make sure 'Enable autoplay for Removable drives' is checked.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I did everything you said, and it still dosen't work. :throwmonitor: ... but thanks for your help.

I'm just going to switch to Linux... I think that will make it a bit better. :lol:
  • The^Watcher
  • Student
  • Student
  • The^Watcher
  • Loc: Sabah, Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi there...
regarding ur prob...
what Win XP do u use? Home or XP Pro...
as far that i know, USB cannot be work properly in XP Pro but it is working in XP Home Edition... if u are using XP Pro...why don't u get XP SP1 or SP2...it might solve ur problem.. ;)
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aha!! I finally found the problem!!

When I stick in my USB drive, XP maps it to E:\ but E:\ is already mapped to a my network drive, so I guess XP just mapped my drive over the E drive ( :lasergun: XP :roll: )

Thank you all for you help. I just changed my network drive mapping to F, and now it's working fine.

~Capspian the 11th
  • Ageint
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ageint

Post 3+ Months Ago

On Windows XP where is My Network Drive? Can someone please Tell me.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ageint wrote:
On Windows XP where is My Network Drive? Can someone please Tell me.

All your drives can be found in "My Computer". If you are on a network, LAN, WAN etc then it will be in there. It will never be your C:\ drive though.
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

CazpianXI wrote:
Aha!! I finally found the problem!!

When I stick in my USB drive, XP maps it to E:\ but E:\ is already mapped to a my network drive, so I guess XP just mapped my drive over the E drive ( :lasergun: XP :roll: )

Thank you all for you help. I just changed my network drive mapping to F, and now it's working fine.

~Capspian the 11th

If you wish to keep your network drive as E Drive do so and follow this to get around the drive mapping problem.

Map your network drive back as E:
Insert your usb stick
Right click on my computer and click manage
Click on disk managment
Down the left side you will have disk 0, cdrom etc your usb stick should be labeled as removable right click on it and go change drive letter.

Done!! :D
  • Vardeman
  • Born
  • Born
  • Vardeman
  • Loc: Kentucky

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you do if you do not have access to disk manager? WinXP Pro & Lexar JumpDrive Secure 2.0 128Mb. It wants to be drive I: but a network drive that cannot be changed has that slot. There are 4 memory card slots that are mapped which I probably will never use, but I do not have access rights to Disk Manager.

V
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to log on as administrator or have administrator rights on the computer.
  • Vardeman
  • Born
  • Born
  • Vardeman
  • Loc: Kentucky

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which I don't have... :x And our IT person is really busy in the middle of a software conversion. Oh well... so much for running Firefox from my JumpDrive.

V
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh yes software conversions.... I'm in the middle of one now. Waiting for the software's maker to send us the technicians to come and fix it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts