USB Floppy Drive Letter?

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had to remove my internal floppy drive, to make room for some harddrive coolers, so I disabled the floppy controller, because I've been told that an external floppy (on order) would be standalone and not need it. Since Windows reserves the drive letters A and B for floppy drives, will it give the external floppy one of these, or just some random ID?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any USB drive will be assigned the next available drive letter, as far as I know.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is kind of what I thought, but wasn't certain. I've been wondering if there is any way to cause XP to release the reservation of A & B to be assigned to other drives or partitions?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can change drive letters in control panel, computer management, disk management. I don't know if it will let you use A or B but that's one way to try.
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, you can change most drive letters, but not A & B...at least with none of those methods. If it can be done at all, I believe that it would have to be through the registry.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I'm not sure if it can be done, but if it could, it would probably be done through the registry like you said.

Although is it really necessary to have the drive letters of A or B for an external floppy?
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not really interested in using those letters for the floppy, I would use them elsewhere. I'm a bit odd, because instead of having the drives sequentially lettered, I like to use letters that I can easily associate with a particular partition. It's just a quirk of mine.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah ok. I understand.

I would be interested if you use those letters elsewhere to. Hope someone knows some concrete info.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts