My USB HDD wont work with USB 2.0

• Purple Chinchilla
  • Born
  • Born
  • Purple Chinchilla

Post 3+ Months Ago

My USB HDD wont work with USB 2.0 however it is USB 2.0 compatible.
I just bought a new usb 2.0 card that plugs into the PCI slot and my jumpdrive works fine but my HDD doesnt even load. When i plug it into the old 1.1 slot it works though.

The HDD itself is a 40GB Hitachi HTS424040M9AT00 and is put together by the company BlueEye

Can anybody help?
  • Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could be a problem with the slot rather than the HDD itself...maybe the driver isnt installed?
  • Purple Chinchilla
  • Born
  • Born
  • Purple Chinchilla

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i re-installed the driver for my hdd and it going but it is still running as slow as it was on the old usb. do u know if there is a reason 4 that?
  • Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

usb 1.1 tends to be slow in transfer..maybe u should just replace the 1.1 with a 2.0? theyre pretty cheap.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

Purple Chinchilla wrote:
My USB HDD wont work with USB 2.0 however it is USB 2.0 compatible.
I just bought a new usb 2.0 card that plugs into the PCI slot and my jumpdrive works fine but my HDD doesnt even load. When i plug it into the old 1.1 slot it works though.

The HDD itself is a 40GB Hitachi HTS424040M9AT00 and is put together by the company BlueEye

Can anybody help?

did you even read his post Albert_Chu?

the speed most likely has something to do with your harddrive. although networking anything (including external harddrives) is going to be slower than if id was internal.
  • wylie
  • Born
  • Born
  • wylie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Purple Chinchilla wrote:
ok i re-installed the driver for my hdd and it going but it is still running as slow as it was on the old usb. do u know if there is a reason 4 that?

You said earlier that your drive is "USB 2.0 Compatible". That simply means that it will work with USB 2.0. It doesnt mean that it has a USB 2.0 interface. The truth is that any USB 1.1 device is USB 2.0 Compatible (because USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1)

I just discovered that about my drive enclosure. While the specs say "USB 2.0 Standard", and it is a revised version from the original USB 1.1 model, the interface speed is still listed as 12mbps, which is what I would expect from a USB 1.1 interface - USB 2.0 should be running at 480kbps.

See the specs here

It could just be a typo, but Im always wary of the phrase "USB 2.0 Compatible".

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts