USB Memory Stick

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pretty bog standard question this, but i figured i might get a second opinion here (the other opinion being the voice in my head).

If you were to use an External memory drive (USB Memory Stick) between a computer using Windows and a Computer using Mac, is this likely to cause problems on the actual stick drive itself? What i mean by this, is any files on the disk more likely to be corrupted as a result?

I've had several memory sticks in the last few months that have become corrupted or simply stopped showing the full allocation of memory as a result (i can only assume) of simultaneous use on different Operating Systems.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume not SB. USB devices, in your case, a USB thumb drive, conform with the industry standard set by USB Implementor Forum. This is a body that incorporates leading computer and electronics companies to adapt a generic interconnectivity and legacy-free interface not featured in parrallel and serial connections. Among these companies are Apple and IBM. So i presume USB thumbdrive serves the porpuses of crossing over two diffrent OS and machine. USB thumbdrive can even be tap to other electronic devices other than computers. If there are indeed a corruptions of the files, it can be attributed to other faults, not for hopping between two other machines.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its never happened to me. I transfer files from my laptop (mac) to my computer (XP) and everything works just fine. The only exception is when I fill the memory stick too full. Make sure you have at least 15% free space on your memory stick. Any more and your more likely to have corrupted/fragmented files.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah. It does seem odd though. First stick that got a bit corrupted was a 2GB capacity stick and then there was my 1GB stick. There was not much i could put together in my mind that could help understand why they were deciding to stop working after a few weeks so i thought it might be possible that alternating between the two OS's might be it.

Funny thing is my 128MB stick seems to be alright. Odd, but not that important anymore i guess.

Thanks for the comments.
  • SuprSonic5
  • Student
  • Student
  • SuprSonic5
  • Loc: Michigan, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that is odd. I'm just wondering what brands were they?
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can be expected if it is made in Taiwan, tho. Those thumbdrives from that country is really of infererior quality (exception maybe those branded thumbdrives which passed quality control). Forgive me for my hasty generalization, but my office procurred literraly hundreds of these to be used for our staff. we bought wholesale from a supplier who, we later learned, got the supply from taiwan. of course its cheaper but more than half of those drives were reported to have physical damage in just less than a year. . .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts