USB Stick Question

• Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure where to put this, figured hardware would be a good start.

I am in the process of creating marketing material for our company. One thing we do is when we bid on a job/project, we normally send a package with company printed folders that contain the proposals for the job as well as information about our company. In addition the proposal is burned to a CD with all documentation.

We have been toying with the idea of purchasing USB drives with our company logo on it. Then having the proposal, as well as our info on the drive in some kind of fashion, probably in the style of a web page.

1) Is there anyway to have the pages autostart when the drive is inserted?
2) Can we encrypt or protect that portion of the drive so the files cannot be tampered with?

Am I being too ambitious, or does this sound like a good idea?

Thanks in advance
Dangles
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• comnetraj
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

HI there,

I feel that this is a very good idea!

However, i am not sure if there is anyway to autostart when the drive is inserted. Or if we can encrypt the files to prevent modification.

Will try finding out and keep you posted. You let me know if you have any breakthrough as well ok?

Thanks!
Raj
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some of the newer sticks from Memorex and a few other companies come with the U3 software installed, which acts as a virtual CD drive on the computer, allowing autorun and other features to execute automatically.

I've seen programs floating around that can allow a user to put their own CD image on this virtual partition, although I can't speak from experience as to whether or not it works.

You might want to look around and see if there's any tools available for creating such a partition from scratch instead of spending too much on the sticks with U3.

Also, doesn't placing a USB stick in your computer and having some unknown software seem like a bit of a security risk that some of your customers might not be willing to take?
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comnetraj,

Thanks! I will keep you posted if I find anything.

Spork,

That U3 sounds interesting, I am going to look into that further. As far as security concerns. I would think that it wouldn't be any different from getting a CD with a powerpoint presentation on it. I may even go the route of a pp pres instead of a web interface.

Thanks
Dangles

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts