USB 1.1 or 2.0

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im thinking about buying an ipod. The only problem is that they only work with USB 2.0. How do I know which usb I have. I would put a usb 2.0 pci card in but im using a laptop so I cant. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cheeseboy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Cheeseboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

How old is your laptop?
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

about 2 years.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look at your laptop specifications. Enter the brand and model into Google and you should have no problem coming up with a website that lists the specifications. Also, if you don't have USB 2.0, you can use FireWire.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

tomrulez wrote:
The only problem is that they only work with USB 2.0.

Incorrect. Part of the USB2.0 specification is that the device remain backward compatible with USB1.1. If it is NOT backwards compatible with USB1.1, regardless of how fast it may be, it is NOT USB2.0.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's pretty much pointless to have an iPod if you only have USB 1.1. It would take forever to transfer all of your songs.
  • Cheeseboy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Cheeseboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say usb 2.0 because I have a 5 year old computer and it has usb 2.0.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:
It's pretty much pointless to have an iPod if you only have USB 1.1. It would take forever to transfer all of your songs.

USB1.1 is more than plenty for transferring a few songs here and there. As long as you're not trying to transfer gigs of data at a time (or, well, ok, even a few hundred megs of data at a time), 1.1 is fast enough.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
TomK wrote:

USB1.1 is more than plenty for transferring a few songs here and there. As long as you're not trying to transfer gigs of data at a time (or, well, ok, even a few hundred megs of data at a time), 1.1 is fast enough.

Which is exactly what you'll be doing with an iPod. :D
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not like you're going to be doing it EVERY day.

You're gonna transfer over a bunch one time, then add a few here and there.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive just been doing a bit of research and it turns out I do have usb 2.0. Thanks for the help.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

DO NOT BUY AN IPOD!!

if anything buy a dell juke box or whatever dell has because I tunes is the devil program ! soo many things can go wrong with them since mine just crapped out
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
DO NOT BUY AN IPOD!!

if anything buy a dell juke box or whatever dell has because I tunes is the devil program ! soo many things can go wrong with them since mine just crapped out

That sucks. I've had mine for quite a while now and can't complain about it at all. It is, without a doubt, the best music player I have ever used in my life. Also, I love iTunes. Simple, yet powerful and has never given me any problems. I use it exclusively to play music on my computer. What exactly happened with your iPod?
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

well at first

They tell you that with normal use of an ipod they battery will crap out in about a year... buying a new batter is another 100 dollars... so theres 1

I tunes doesn't like my computer.. for some reason lol it installs but has an error.. but the program still runs

I have an error with the ipod when adding songs it says an unexpected error has occurred ( well duh if it was expected it wouldn't tell ya )

I don't like the way you have to download THEIR program to use something that you bought and if you lose your songs and update ALL your songs are gone!

With the dell dj you can use any program or just use windows explorer Drag and drop.. so simple....

AND! with the ipod you have to bring the SPECIAL cable with the dell dj ( i'm pretty sure ) its just usb to usb so simple!

I TUNES cuts off the end of your songs... witch i don't like

But i'm stuck with an ipod....

I had a 3 year warranty with my ipod mini and they say i cannot exchange it. ! (ARGH!) I have to send it to be repaired.. and they said it would take 3 WEEKS!!!! omg thats bull
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
They tell you that with normal use of an ipod they battery will crap out in about a year... buying a new batter is another 100 dollars... so theres 1

Well, "they" tell you that about laptops, and pretty much any other battery operated device.

Skirge wrote:
I tunes doesn't like my computer

What's probably more accurate is that there's something installed on your computer that's conflicting with iTunes. On a nice clean system, iTunes runs great.

Skirge wrote:
But i'm stuck with an ipod

No you're not. You're not "stuck" with anything. If it's covered under warranty, send it back, get it repaired, then sell it on eBay. If it's not covered under the warranty, then don't waste your money, throw it in the trash and buy a non-ipod player.

I don't like ipods either, because they're just so damn slow for image transfer via CompactFlash adapter (which would be my primary reason for getting one - should I ever decide to do so), but if you buy something (anything) and don't like it, either return it, sell it, or throw it in the trash and get something else.

I've got a Philips Expanium MP3 player that takes the lil 3" CDs. I bought about 300 3" CD-Rs and CD-RWs when I had my Sony Mavica digital camera, so I had plenty of those CDs floating around (still do). I wanted an mp3 player that used CDs, but the players that use the regular 5" CDs are just way too big to fit in your pocket. The Expanium's great. I've had it about 2 years now and love it :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts