Using Linksys Router with a Netgear router?

• sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a new VoIP service, and because of that, I use a Linksys Broadband RT31P2 router, included with the service. The computer which is connected to this router works perfectly fine, and so does the phone. Everything works fine, but I now want that router (Linksys) to provide wireless access to a laptop.

The problem is that the laptop is not picking up a signal from the router, and the router configuration page has no option to "send" a signal for wireless connection. I am starting to think that the Linksys Broadband RT31P2 router is not meant for wireless access, or it would have this option, and make a mention of wireless access.

Here's the product page for the router: http://www.linksys.com/products/product ... 52&scid=29

I also have a Netgear WGR614v4 router, and wondering if there's something I should do with this router. I thought of connecting the Netgear router to Linksys using an Ethernet cable. Therefore, the Linksys router would be the main router, and I'd use the Netgear router as some sort of a secondary router that would give a wireless signal to the laptop. I also tried it the other way around, having the Linksys router connect to the Netgear router.

Its a bit confusing. I don't know where to go from here. If I make Netgear the main router, the computer will work, and eventhough the laptop receives the signal, it will not connect to the Internet. If I use Linksys as the main router, the computer will work, but the laptop picks up no signal from the Netgear router.

Any ideas?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The linksys doesn't have wireless, unfortunatly you can't get a router to router from another router to wireless the only thing you can do is just use the netgear router as your main router. Either that or just use the hard wired ethernet cable to the laptop i think your linksys has 3 ethernet ports.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should work fine by connecting one of the switch ports on the Linksys to the WAN port of the Netgear. The only other thing you need to do is make sure that both the routers are not using the same IP address space. (Example- Set the Linksys to hand out addresses from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.100 and the Netgear to hand out 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.0.100) The Netgear router should pick up an IP address by the Linksys's DHCP along with the Linksys as the outgoing gateway. The Netgear will hand out another address to the laptop and all the data should just go up and down the chain.

The1 wrote:
Unfortunatly you can't get a router to router from another router...

That's how the internet works. A router, connected to a router, connected to a router... :wink:

//Moved to hardware
  • The1
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
It should work fine by connecting one of the switch ports on the Linksys to the WAN port of the Netgear. The only other thing you need to do is make sure that both the routers are not using the same IP address space. (Example- Set the Linksys to hand out addresses from 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.100 and the Netgear to hand out 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.0.100) The Netgear router should pick up an IP address by the Linksys's DHCP along with the Linksys as the outgoing gateway. The Netgear will hand out another address to the laptop and all the data should just go up and down the chain.

The1 wrote:
Unfortunatly you can't get a router to router from another router...

That's how the internet works. A router, connected to a router, connected to a router... :wink:

//Moved to hardware

The Wan port on the router would be the phone line...

So this means it would not be possible using this method

The only way i can think of is if you connect with a crossover two lan ports together and point your wireless router's gateway to your other router.

Correct me if im wrong
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Netgear WGR614v4 router does have a WAN port. The Linksys, however, is a DSL Modem/router. You are going from a LAN port on the Linksys to the WAN on the Netgear.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, the linksys docs state that other routers/hubs can be daisy chained, they just don't give details on how one would accomplish this.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

This should be pretty much plug-and-play. I've had a very similar setup to this for years in various locations and never had a problem. Most newer connectivity devices even have auto-detecting ports - so you can probably even plug port 1 into port 1 and get connected.

I would suggest just plugging in how Lucassix said.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts