Using wrong gateway address

• jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put in a second gateway router into the network trying to get it set up before taking out the current router. I'm having a problem with the computers trying to use the old router IP though.

I am using static IP's
I manualy changed the Default Gateway IP to the new router's IP
I've rebooted
These are XP machines.
Router = Sonicwall TZ 190

Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're using static IPs, remove the old router before you connect the new router and give the new router the same IP address as the old one. That way, you don't have to reconfigure the XP machines.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I tried that first after i did the initail config and thought it would work right. I even reset all the connecting devices (switches, modem) to make sure they were not getting hung up on the MAC or something like that. They still don't work. Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You did a lot of work for nothing. Can you open the web interface of the new router? What block of IP addresses is it using and is it the same block of IPs as the old router?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe it's just me, but I've never used a router as a default gateway. In fact I don't use routers at all (I only use switches). I use my Cisco Firewall as the default gateway and just use switches for everything else. In fact I don't have a clue what the IP addresses of any of my switches are. When I've had to change out the firewall, I just configure it with the old IP address, and like Don suggested, I never have to reconfigure the default gateway for any machines. And as for replacing switches, very simply swap out the cat 5 cables, and turn the puppy on. Done deal.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

My home network uses a router as the gateway, never had an issue, then again I have never had to replace it.

Replacing switches can be that easy in theory unless you use VLAN's or other advanced configurations like we do where I work. Replacing a switch here is not an easy task, neither is replacing a router.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
You did a lot of work for nothing. Can you open the web interface of the new router? What block of IP addresses is it using and is it the same block of IPs as the old router?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Yes I can open the web interface.

ANTO,
This is a firewall as well as the gateway.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn, I think Don may be assuming that your router is acting as the DHCP server. In which case I believe he's asking if the scope of IP addresses is the same on both the old and new.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

All routers don't use the same subnet. The router and the machines have to be on the same subnet no matter if you're using static IPs or DHCP is enabled.
Since you said that you can open the web interface, you probably have everything on the same subnet.

If you are still having trouble, open the properties of the LAN connection and then the properties of TCP/IP. If DHCP is enabled, check MY computer gets an IP automatically. If that's not working, enter the IP address of the router, use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask and enter the DNS IP addresses of your ISP.

Also make sure that the router is getting an IP from the ISP.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done all of that already.......thanks for the advice though.

Why would the desktop still search for the old address. I would think that once you changed it in the TCP/IP properties, it would look for the new address. Is it stored somewhere else on the machine. Like I said, all of the IP's are put it static. I have even removed to DNS settings from the desktop trying to make sure that it wasn't getting the old IP from my server.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe I didn't explain it clearly so I'll try it again.

The new IP address of the new router should be the same as the old IP address of the old router. No IPs needed to be changed except for that one if it wasn't the same already.

My DLINK has an IP of 192.168.0.1 All PCs are 192.168.0.xxx If I were to buy a Linksys router, the default IP would be 192.168.1.1 I would have to change that to the old DLINK's IP or I would have to reconfigure all machines on the network. The DNS entries remain the same since you are using static IPs and you have the same ISP.

There are no other settings except the TCP/IP properties of the NIC on the desktop.

One more thing. In the last line of your post, you mentioned a server which you didn't mention before. What server is that? Do you have a server running Active Directory?

Your setup should be
Modem > Router > All PCs, server or not.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don, what your saying is perfectly clear. I tried all that first and it didn't work.

That server is running Active Direcetory, DHCP, DNS,...
Would the AD interfere with a static IP?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

AD has nothing to do with IP addressing.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also, if all of your IP's are static why are you running DHCP? Another thing if all of your IP's are static then DNS shouldn't have changed and wouldn't have any bearing on this.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that AD has nothing to do with IP addressing unless DHCP and DNS are also running on the same machine. A server wasn't mentioned for the first 9 posts. Why is one mentioned now?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typically speaking if he only has one domain controller then DNS would be running on the same server as Active Directory.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

None of that really matters, I still don't know why it is still hitting the old IP. Is it stored in a cache somewhere?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you made the IP address of the new router the same as the old one this wouldn't be an issue unless I am missing something.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I give up. I can't make it any clearer than I already have. Once and for all, there shouldn't be an old IP and new IP for the routers. It should be the IP of the old router was given to the new router.

Why is that so hard to understand?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your not listening to my question, If your fed up with it that is fine. The question is as follows.

If I change my Default Gateway IP on a desktop, why would it still try to go through the old IP when I run a traceroute?

I'm using WINMTR to run the trace route.

BTW, I plan on switching the new routers IP to the old router's IP. I'm doing this because I would like to get it tested before I screw up my current (working ) system. Thanks all for trying to help.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

jflynn wrote:
If I change my Default Gateway IP on a desktop, why would it still try to go through the old IP when I run a traceroute?

It shouldn't. The only thing I can suggest is doing a flush of the DNS by running ipconfig /flushdns and/or rebooting.
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
It shouldn't.

That's what I thought......I'll give those options a try. thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts