Verizon FIOS & Gateway questions

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In a few days Verizon will be comming out to my house to setup the 15Mbit downstream/2Mbit Upstream fiber optic internet. Being the slightly less than sane person I am, I want to get some new toys to go with.

I was thinking about using an old computer, throwing Server 2003 on it, creating a domain, and having that serve as the Firewall, Router, DHCP Server, Webproxy, Etc... Having one gigabit port run to a gigabit switch, one to the ISHE and one to a SAN setup, and a 10/100 port run to the Netgear Rangemax 108Mbps router I have and use that as a WAP.

The box is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with a Barton 333FSB 3000+ and 1.5Gb of PC2700 2-2-2-5-1T Kingston HyperX. The system has one onboard Gigabit and one onboard 100Mbit. I'll then get a few PCI Gigabit Nic's. I already loaded 03 Server last night on it. I need to install the drivers, get the gigabit nics and set-up everything.

Or should I just get a nice Linksys RV0041 10/100 WAN, 4x 10/100/1000 LAN firewall router and call it a day? Any other gigabit routers?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are a lucky bastard. I have been waiting for FIOS to make it's way into my area.

Eventhough I am a Windows guy, I don't really recommend using Windows as a router. It can be complicated to set up and a pain in the ass to configure.

I run a domain in my house on Comcast. I have one server as the Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP server. I also have one other set up as a webserver but it isn't used much. Then I have 2 XP client machines that connect wirelessly through a wireless router.

I would suggest to just get a gigabit router and be done with it. I think you will be a lot happier.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i freaking hate hate you...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have Verizon telco service. One day they call me up and go, "Yo, how would you like 15Mbps Down and 2Mbps up for $8.00 less than you are paying for comcast's 6Mbps down and 768Kbps Up?"

So I go, "F*&% yeah, son... Sign me up!"

Then I call Comcast and ask them if they can beat it, they say no, so I tell them where to stick it.

I can't wait for FiosTV, digital television for 1/2 of what I'm paying for Comcast digital silver with a DVR and HBO.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm only about an hour south of you so it should be in our area soon, I hope. I have Verizon telephone as well.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Verizon said it was State-by-State. They won't give a time table either. Best thing is to call and get on the notification list for when it does become available.

Just set up a domain... Me likey... It's so choice, if you have the means, I would highly recommend picking one up. :twisted:

name the movie, get a cookie.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Using the computer as a router now... works pretty good. A little bit faster than a normal router.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts