Video Card Conflict? Can I get a referral?

• panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli
  • Loc: Cleveland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all -

here's my computer:

BIOSTAR M7NCG 400 Socket A (Socket 462) NVIDIA nForce2 IGP Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton 333MHz FSB Socket A Processor Model AXDA2500BOX - Retail
1 Gig Ram
Windows XP Home (fully updated)

Video Card:
JATON 3DFORCE FX5200TV Geforce FX5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card

My issue:
my computer freezes after anywhere from 1 minute to several hours. the screen freezes so that I cannot type or move my mouse. I have tried reinstalling the OS twice, and have PC-Cillin and do not believe I have a virus.

I think this sounds like a video driver conflict, so once I updated to Nvidia's newest drivers, which completely hosed my 'puter. I've reinstalled since and have the driver that came with the card. no luck.

The Question:
Can anyone recommend another video card? The kicker is that this is all packed into a small microATX case, so I need a low-profile card. I've ordered 2 from newegg, but neither fit. I can take a PCI or AGP, but not PCI-Express. I don't really want another FX5200 - and maybe not even another Nvidia if the drivers suck so bad.

Please let me know if you know of another quality low profile card.

Thanks!
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

First see if there´s nothing wrong with the mems (use memtest).
You shoud also check the irq entries to see if there is any conflict between devices (but if you formatted and still happens the same probably is hardware)
You can also try some modified drivers like omega drivers or ngo drivers...(also use a nvidia driver clean up utility)
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will give those a go. I've never heard of them, but I'll look into it. Can I just pick a driver - omega or ngo - is there something that I need to choose from? Thanks
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Use this tool after unistall of previous drivers and reboot:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=582

In that site you have all moded drivers and tools for graphic cards.

cumpz
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. So I'm running memTest right now. I was wondering about the memory. I have 3 cards - two 256, one 512. Does it matter which slot has which cards?

ALso - the other thing that is weird with theis computer is that once i wipe it clean, it works for about a month or so before starting to freeze again. does this sound like a memory thing or a display issue?

Is it possible that it is a virus that my virus detection can't find?

Thanks
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

running memTest froze the computer up. I heard a little click sound and then it froze. does this mean my memory is bad?
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hummm...click sound may be a bad sector in the hd (even with bad memories usually the pc doesn´t freeze or boot).You should see if you can locate where that click sound comes from(open the case and see if everything looks ok like both coolers running,etc)
You should also analyze your hd (if you need a prog to do it pm me)
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok - i took out the 2 sticks of RAM and left in the 512. I ran the memTest again and got up to 350% with no errors. I'm going to put them in one by one and run it again.

Also - the click was more like a little beep.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the help everyone!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

RAM is peculiar sometimes. If your RAM is at different speeds like your 512 is PC3200 made by corsair and one 256 is PC2700 made by Kingston and the other 256 is PC2100 made by some generic brand, they may not play nicely together. Considering memtest failed with all sticks in you have a memory conflict. Always try and use the same brand memory with the same speed.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought I was onto something as well. I let the computer on overnight with just one stick of ram in it. it still froze. the third stick of ram is new and this problem preceeds this ram. I have two kingston and one corsair. UUUGH!!! I thought we had an answer!

Could it be my mobo? i think i will uninstall my video card driver and card and use the on-board video. could there be a problem with the video driver for the mobo vs the driver for the card? my chipset is also an nvidia. I haven't tried the 3rd party vendors yet, b/c i'm a bit concerned it will mess up my computer....

I'll keep you posted.
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kingston usually doesn´t go along with other brands..and corsair i think is one of them...have you looked at the temps of mobo and gpu also?
Have you cleaned up the cooler,for instance?
Try that...removing the graphic card and using only the onboard..that way you can at least eliminate one component.You will have to go one by one :)
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I took out my graphics card and used the onboard. It still froze. I cleaned out everything in the case. I am now thinking that it may be my mobo, b/c it is so erratic. Things can be good for hours, or just minutes...

One thing - when I put my card back in, it didn't act like it was a new card. Do I have to uninstall the card before taking it out?

Thanks
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

It would be better...don´t you get bsod´s?
Go to your control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer ...see what system or application errors do you have...
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to Administrative tools->Event Viewer, found the following errors:

(all at the same time)

1. The ScriptBlocking Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
2. The Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
3. The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

um.... I don't have Norton... but this problem started before I tried Norton (which I hated and tried to uninstall)

Sorry - I don't know what bsod´s are....

I'm really not THAT knowledgeable about computers...

Julie
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forgot to mention:

I just worked on my computer for 5 hours with no freezing. why? unknown. sometimes it freezes while i'm moving it around. sometimes it is frozen after resting for a while....
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those are application errors (ya...norton likes to let stuff behind...that´s one of the reasons i dont like it),see the system errors....
BSOD are the blue screens of death :)
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

No BSOD's (just once, actually, after updating to Nvidia current drivers).

Are we any closer?
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

See the system errors in the event viewer.
Have you seen the hd with spinrite?
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

looks like the last thing my computer did last night was this:

The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service was successfully sent a start control. (not listed as an error).

at 10:34. then there's nothing until I restarted this morning.

I want to use the spinrite, but I can't make a bootable cd w/o a floppy drive for some reason with Nero. I have the .iso ready, but I cannot make it! Ideas about that?
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just ran a scandisk on startup and things are fine with my HDD according to windows. I think I'll just get another mobo and see if that is it. to replace mine it will only cost $40 i think!

Thanks everyone!
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Replacing your mobo requires to replace all your drivers(unless you get the same model). And for that you need to reinstall all your os.

Quote:
I have the .iso ready, but I cannot make it

What are you getting when you try to do that?
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can burn a cd with the .iso, but it is not a bootable cd. My software requires files from a WinXP boot disk to make a bootable cd. So I get nothing, as if I do not have a boot cd in.

I assume I'll have to reinstall everything. I am getting VERY good at that. 4 times in 6 months!
  • xamix
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • xamix

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just needed to press the create boot diskette from the spinrite menu.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

panzhuli wrote:
I can burn a cd with the .iso, but it is not a bootable cd. My software requires files from a WinXP boot disk to make a bootable cd. So I get nothing, as if I do not have a boot cd in.

I assume I'll have to reinstall everything. I am getting VERY good at that. 4 times in 6 months!

Its "Microsoft corporation.img" file that can be extracted by programs like ISOBuster. You don't have to put that in the compilation. Choose the create bootdisk option and show the boot image path there which should be the path for the img file residing anywhere. It doesn't need to reside in the cd during copying to compilation.

See this page from Step 4
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/wi ... stream.asp

or see this from the heading "Extract the imaging file"
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK - I never got a chance to do that. I was playing a game and my computer kept making these little kind of beeps, almost like chirps, the game froze, and that's all she wrote. On boot, it goes through its usual check, asks me to select an OS, and then just freezes. It won't boot from the CD. Does this sound mobo or drive to you guys?

Thanks - I'm going crazy over here! I'm worried that I can't even reinstall this time if it won't boot from the CD!

:(
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

To boot from the cd you need to set your bios boot device priority. Tap F8 key during booting(before anything comes up on the screen). Go to the option similar like boot device priority(from Advanced or Boot menu- I cant tell you in detail as I don't about know AMD BIOS setup) and give the cd r/rw at the first place. Now save config and exit from bios. Insert the cd and reboot. I don't think any of your harddisk and mobo is affected.
  • panzhuli
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • panzhuli

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is definitely set to boot from the CD. It just won't...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts