2 Video Cards One comp, how?

• risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering how you can run two video cards simultaneously on one computer. I have one AGP, and one PCI card, and i was just wondering if i could run both. I no u can do multiple monitors if uve got more than one output, but how about with two cards, please let me know.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can't run two videocards with that setup. The only way to run 2 videocards at the same time right now is SLi which uses two PCI-Express slots.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually you can run two monitors with an AGP card and a PCI card, in fact I'm am doing that on the computer I am using right now.

To set up dual monitors the first thing you have to do is go into your BIOS and make the PCI card you boot card. This is the only way to get Windows to recognice the PCI card as it will not activate it itself.

Once you do that, boot up Windows and go to your display settings, then go to the 'Settings' tab. You should see two monitors there. Select the greyed out one (this should corrospond to the AGP card), and check the two boxes at the bottom (the ones that say 'Extend my desktop', and'Use this monitor as my primary monitor') and click apply. This should activate the monitor that is plugged into your AGP card.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i am using three cards right now two pci and an agp. tri monitors work great! it took me alot of messing around to find three that would work together. setting up two was easy but three took me a long time.
  • DR.V
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why would you do that ?? Is that DVI video card ?
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

DR.V wrote:
Why would you do that ?? Is that DVI video card ?

it's really good for web design and scripting because of the added desktop space. like right now i'm typing this message on one screen i'm checking my email on another and watching tv on another.
  • Ryan316
  • Born
  • Born
  • Ryan316

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm kind of new to this whole thing. Can it be done with a PCI and a PCI express card? I have a nvidia 440 nvs and a nvidia 280 with 6 monitors & am having a hard time getting them to work properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts