video memory low

• FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought a radeon 9600XT and everytime I turn on my computer and load my profile an error message pops up saying low graphical memory try to free up some space. I don't know how i can make room, i only have 2 games installed, half life 2 and battle field 2, how can i solve this problem
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Video memory or Virtual memory ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only pop-up I know of is virtual memory, and games won't have anything to do with it.

Right Click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> "Performance" Settings -> Advanced -> "Virtual memory" Change. Increase your paging file size. Rule of thumb is 1.5x the amount of physical memory.
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

here is the exact message

ATI Error Message

Your graphic card has run out of memory. We recommend freeing up memory...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have never seen that before in my life. It doesn't make any sense, you can't free up video memory. Unless you have your BIOS VGA memory size set too high.
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help, I will check into my bios and see if i can do anything.
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i forgot to say, if this message still appears do u think it's alright to still play counter strike source and battle field 2. will this be a harm to my computer. and if this helps my screen resloution is 1024 by 768 pixels
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I don't think it will do any harm to the hardware.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

FOOLIN wrote:
here is the exact message

ATI Error Message

Your graphic card has run out of memory. We recommend freeing up memory...

Have you tried contacting ATi on this? I would. I've never seen that error and I tried googling it but couldn't find anything close.
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will try contacting ATi. Thanks
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you post a screen shot? I beleve you, I just want to see what kind of dialog it is...
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do i post a picture so i can show you?[/url]
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a screen shot with the "Print Screen" or "PrtSc" button on your keyboard. Go into paintbrush, Edit -> Paste, then save it as a .jpg

Upload it somewhere and then provide a link.
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i saved it and all now i don't know how to upload it
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

and how do i find the link
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
The only pop-up I know of is virtual memory, and games won't have anything to do with it.

Right Click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> "Performance" Settings -> Advanced -> "Virtual memory" Change. Increase your paging file size. Rule of thumb is 1.5x the amount of physical memory.

I was always taught 2x's.
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im not sure how to upload images but heres a link to see the error

http://www.geocities.com/foolin21/
  • FOOLIN
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • FOOLIN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put my screen resolution back to 800x600 from 1024x768 and the problem still accrues. Is there a way to check if the driver was installed properly. Thankyou
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bgnn32 wrote:
GT500Shlby wrote:

I was always taught 2x's.

Well Microsoft's minimum reccomended paging file size is 1.5x the amount of physical memory but I've gone up as much as 4x. This all depends on the number of drives I have. I usually also create a seperate paging file partition on my hard drives.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here you go, this sounds like what your experiencing and should help.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?lo ... 238&var2=0

WC
  • Seergjej
  • Born
  • Born
  • Seergjej

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have exactly the same problem with a Powercolor 9600XT 128MB(Samsung rams, 2.8 cas I think)...Tried changing motherboard, ram, flashing the gpu bios but still nothing changing...at every restart I get this message.Wouldn't want to think we fried our video cards... :( Did you check if it's an overheating problem? Ah, by the way, it's almost a year I've been fighting with this and am almost freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greetz,

Sergio
  • TheCaptn
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheCaptn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found this page googling the same error message. Here's what it looks like:

Please note this is NOT a windows virtual memory or desktop heap error, it's an error related to the ATi card's onboard memory. Or at least that's what the computer thinks.
I also have a Powercolor 9600XT 128mb, and it worked perfectly until today when I upgraded from Catalyst 5.2 to the current Catalyst 5.7 drivers.

Now I also get this message every time I boot my computer and my games (BF2, HL2 and GTA3:SA) are unplayable. I get about 1 frame every 5 or 6 seconds.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rollback the driver. There may be a bug in the new driver, contact ATi and let them know.
  • TheCaptn
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheCaptn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I've got an open ticket on the ATi support site. Waiting to see what they say.

Would you happen to know of any site with instructions on reverting not only the drivers but the Control Center as well? I want everything back to the way it was if ATi don't come through with a fix...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Click on Start and select Control Panel.

Click on Performance and Maintenance.

Click on See basic information about your computer to bring up the System Properties dialog.

Click on the Hardware tab.

Click on the Device Manager button to bring up the Device Manager.

Right-click on the problem device and select Properties. If the device is not working, it will likely appear with a red X in the middle of the icon, as shown below.

Click on the Driver tab and then click Roll Back Driver. Accept as appropriate and required. If a system reboot is required, your computer will prompt you.

Don't know if this will reset the ATi control panel, I don't use it. You can download Catalyst 5.2 from here http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=988
  • TheCaptn
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheCaptn

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cheers mate. :D

I thought I'd give something else a try first, and it's looking like it might have worked.

You other blokes pay attention:
Uninstall the ATi Control Center. That's it... Just go to 'add/remove programs' and get rid of it.
The 'control panel' one can stay. I think that's the bare-bones software associated with the 'Display Properties' panel. It lets you change all the same stuff as the Control Center anyway.

I don't know what's going on exactly, but it seems like the overheads for that 5.7 Control Center were huge, leaving nothing available for the important stuff... i.e. games.

I'm about to try playing BF2 again. Will report in again shortly.

[edit]
Yup, I'm back to normal now. Still with the 5.7 drivers, but sans Control Center.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ATi control center in my opinion is a waste anyway. Not exactly an important piece of software.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATi in general has been releasing some obscenely poor code as of lately. They go through these phases, decent code, bad code, decent code, and back to bad code.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always used http://www.omegadrivers.net/ and have never had a problem. You might try those.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That URL isn't working for me so I will ask, what is so special about Omega drivers? What is the benefit of using them vice ATi or nVidia's drivers?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 33 posts