Virtual Memory Low

• liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

first i apologise if this is in the wrong category but i think it should be correct

i have been playing a game recently that takes a lot of RAM

the game is World of Warcraft, i have 512mb of RAM but when i play it and then exit after it has been on for a while my computer goes extremely slow, its getting worse all the time, it is even starting to crash now, freeze, not respond etc

i also get a message sayin virtual memory is low windows is trying to increase it or something of that sort

is there any way i can incease or stop the computer from going this slow until i buy a bit more ram?
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

What os? First off you must have enough free space available on your hard drive to be able to increase the size of your page file.

Assuming you have Windows XP, go to system properties, advanced tab, click on performance settings, advanced tab, then click change. There is an initial and a maximum size so make sure the maximum is more than the initial, and they can be the same. Recommendations for the size of this file vary, but I would suggest 1.5 to 2 times your total amount of system memory. This would mean setting your initial size to 1024MB and the maximum a little higher - maybe 1280MB.

Windows also has a recommended size in the same window.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanx for the reply and sorry about not mentiong OS its WinXp

and yer i went there before i posted this and changed it but i wasn't sure how much to change it too, i have plenty of space

i changed it to 2GB so far, which should be enough i think

it is only really a problem when i play that game

there is nothing else i can do apart from this?

2GB should be enough though i think and hope hehe
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think 2gb is way more than enough. I also think that virtual memory isn't your problem. What are the requirements / recommendations for system memory for that game? If the only time you have problems is when you play that game then you may want to contact the game manufacturer's support.

It sounds to me like there is a process that hangs after you exit this game. Open up task manager (ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+shift+esc) and check out your cpu and memory usage when your pc is running smoothly. Then check it again while its bogged down, and try to notice any processes that are eating up your resources. Hope this helps.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like an issue with WoW to me

Try here:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 255570&p=3
or here
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Wo ... gle+Search

//Just realized my first link above was from page 3 - you might want to start with page one and read from there.
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman

Post 3+ Months Ago

thnx for the replies, i will maybe read them articles if the problem keeps happening because it just downloaded some updates this morning and it mentioned something about fixing chrashes

here are the requirements incase this problem still occurs:

Minimum requirements:
Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
Intel Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon 800 MHz
256 MB RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as an NVIDIA® GeForce™ class card or above
DirectX® 9.0c (included) and latest video drivers
4.0 GB available HD space
4x CD-ROM drive
56k or better Internet connection

Recommended
Intel Pentium® IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+
512 MB RAM
64 MB 3D graphics card with Vertex and Pixel Shader capability, such as an NVIDIA® Geforce™ FX 5700 class card or above
Broadband Internet connection
Two-button scroll-wheel mouse

hopefully the new updates will sort it out, thanx for all the help!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts