Voodoo PCs

• 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Hurricane...

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought a voodoo laptop last night. Was wondering if anyone here has one or has had experience with them?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could afford them, from what I have heard they make very nice machines and well worth the money.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea that's all I've heard good feedback and they sure sell quite the power gaming machines. I guess I just wanted to find a first hand experience with them. So far so good :)
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

can gaming laptops such as ur voodoo thing support water cooling??? an external type maybe?
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

No idea? why would I want to?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't know, maybe you were planning on prying it apart and putting in a dual core opteron chip [voiding your warranty] and then realizing it was running to hot. that would warrant a external cooling option. but otherwise, all i could fins was this
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i wanted to customize a laptop from mobo up is it possible?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

anyone on this forum will tell you that opening up a laptop and installing/modifying parts on a laptop is exponentially more difficult than a regular desktop computer. first of all, prying them open is a pain, and then usually, things are hardwired into the laptop and arent easily replaceable. new laptops [i think] are making it more easy to modify things such as ram and some are even offering the ability to swap in different [newer] video cards. otherwise, i dont think things such as cpu's and optical drives and fans/harddrives etc.. can be easily replaced or placed on a board.
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Optical drives, harddrives and very often processors are pretty easy to change once you get inside the damn thinks, but laptops really aren't for playing around with.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem with laptops (and the reason I won't buy one) is that there are virtually no standards for them. With desktops, there are standards for motherboard form factor, power, drives, etc. With Laptops, there are no such standards. That means it's pretty much proprietary when (if) it comes to upgrading.
For instance, if my processor is no longer cutting the mustard, I can buy a new processor and slap it in. Same thing with my vid card, memory, sound, hard drives, etc. I can upgrade 1 piece at a time. Not so with a laptop (If it's upgradable at all). I think memory and hard drives have have a tenuous standard right now, but if my processor is too slow in my laptop, I can't upgrade it without sending it back to the manufacturer. In other words, when I build a new desktop, I know I'll get several years out of it, with a few minor upgrades along the way. If I buy a laptop, it has a set lifespan, usually about a year (going by corporate standards) before it needs to be replaced. With a desktop, at least I can reuse most of the parts.

Bottom line is this: If you ABSOLUTELY NEED the mobility, you pretty much have to get a laptop (and you're locked in). If you don't need the mobility, build a desktop.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hence why I customize mine to the fullest potential so I won't bother opening them. I have a desktop system, if I wanted to tweak that one, then I will but the laptop I'd just leave alone
  • Coderx
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Coderx

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking along the same lines as you there then, i wouldent mess with a laptop and i am experienced with desktops i dont think i would bother tinkering with a laptop and generally laptops have a longer life time without an upgrade anyway as long as its a good spec to start with.
  • 613flavah
  • battlestar
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I just wish it wouldn't take 30 days to get my laptop *sigh*
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

$15557.38 for a Voodoo Desktop.

Uhm, yeah so okay. Just SLIGHTLY overpriced.

Maybe if it was $1,557.38 I would go for it. But that extra 5 really doesn't do it for me.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah i had an ENVY a:717 maxed out,but i hated that it sucked the batterys dry in no time and that it was 7 grand for a laptop that if i wanted to use for more than an hour i hade to have it pluged in....

their desktops are WAY WAY over priced..i am building a workstation now that is about $40k and one of there MAXED out desktops is around $32k and the workstation is 2 or 3 times the power for around the same price........so if they took off a few grand from the laptops and 5 or 10 grand for the desktops,then i would use them and recommend them..
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to build a $2,000 system, and just do the case all hot. I'm waiting for Thermaltake to relase the new external water cooler that has the rs232 that I can use to shutdown the computer is the water cooler fails.

All of the other water coolers do not provide any protection if the cooler fails, however they said they will handle claims if their product fails and causes damage. But yet, have you ever tried getting money from a company when one of their products fails, they automatically say "It's not MY fault, its your for keeping the computer on past 5 hours straight" or whatever. So I go with safer than sorry.

Now I just need to find a nice case. I will only use thermaltake or antec cases because they are the best. But I guess I could have my buddy do a mystic or chromalusion paint job on it. with the 7 layers of pearled clearcoat that makes the paint look 10 feet deep. Have the entire interior nickel or chrome plated. Wire the stuff with all UV reactive cables and the UV reactive water and put a blacklight in it. That would look cool.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts