Wake on LAN?

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I have no clue why or even how this is happening, but...

My motherboard has an onboard ethernet adapter. But, I used to have a NIC on my PCI slot on my mobo instead because I couldn't find the driver for the motherboard ethernet and it wasn't really a big deal and I already had the NIC, so I just used the NIC. Anyway, I removed my NIC because it wasn't helping cool my system due to the fact the video card was right behind it and I don't want to have high temperatures, so I removed the NIC and put my internet onto the onboard LAN and found the CD with the driver (for mobo internet) and installed it. I have no history of overheating because it is a nice case and good airflow, I just wanted lower temps.

The internet works great still from the motherboard, however I noticed that when I shut my computer off AND IF the ethernet cable is still plugged into the board, the computer will immediately reboot and I have to shut off my PSU. Then the next day I'll come back to turn it on again and at the POST screen it will say "CPU overclocking failed" or something to that extent, and it will ask if I want to boot normally or change BIOS settings. Weird part is... My BIOS is not set to overclock CPU and all the wake-on events are disabled in my BIOS except I don't think there is one for ethernet. Any ideas how to stop this? Oh and after this happens sometimes XP Pro tells me it found a new PCI device, but it won't tell me what it is and I didn't add any new device, I only removed one...
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you removed the NIC, did you disable or delete it in the device manager?

Edit: On second thought, it shouldn't even be there but look anyway.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it's totally gone from everything, device manager, drivers gone from program files and add/remove all that stuff (I don't even remember installing the driver for it). I'm not too worried about the OS problem though, mostly the hardware issues. I tried to get onto the site for my mobos BIOS the other day but it's down or always busy, some Taiwan site. I think my versions up to date though, I updated it at least within a year ago.

I guess I just need to figure out why the hell my motherboard is starting when the ethernet is plugged in and how to put a stop to it. I think the CPU thing just might be a side effect of me manually shutting my PSU down in the middle of reboot, even though it happened 3 times in a row.

This is the motherboard if you wanna look: http://uk.asus.com/440/html/events/mb/s ... erview.htm

Thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have had asus mobos and I've never seen that happen. If you shutdown by ctrl alt del instead of the start button, does it do the same thing? I know it shouldn't matter but try it just out of curiosity.

I have another far fetched thought. If you have the yahoo tray icon near the clock, exit out of that first. I've seen it cause other shutdown problems.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've shut it down all ways, from start menu, from before logging into windows and task manager, same thing.

And no, LOL @ the yahoo thing. I would never install software made by them in a million years. Same goes for any other search bar/tool/msg software. haha.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL We think alike on that one.

Try something else. Disconnect the cat5 from the router end instead of the NIC end and see if it does the same thing. Also, if you have another cat5, swap it.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL, the cat5 cable is 70ft. and it goes through walls. I think I'm good on that one. It shouldn't really make a difference anyway. If the computer gets internet, it wakes up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts