Water cooling

• ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been conidering water cooling sirousely for a wile now and i as i was looking around i encountered several things i did not know about such as the "peltier units" not sure what they do but i though some of you might?

I also wanted to know if you guys had a specific setup u like or brand you trusted more? i am currently looking at http://www.dangerden.com systems. thayts were i fournd the peltier units.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you actually need water cooling?
How fast is your processor?
Is it tweaked enough for a need of a water cooling system?
I bet your CPU runs in the average of 55 to 70 degree Celsius.

I have a second station solely for rendering 3D images, (3Dmovies) its running 24/7 and it only reaches 68 degree Celsius in average,
if I don’t need extra cooling, why would you need one?
Unless you are running a old Celeron, which these cpu’s does heat up allot if “tweaked allot”
or if you have a AMD cpu, them they heat up a bit more than Pentium to start with,
which means if you tweak it “allot” then maybe ya you need an extra FAN, but water cooling? Na!
It’s a waste of money! And hazardous at times to!

My opinion thought!!!
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

your processor shouldnt be running at 68 celsiuse. i run my P43.0C 30-35 idle and 40-45 loaded masively and 35+/- idle and 54+/- when OC to 3.54 on stock heat sick with an upgraded fan. i would like to get my pc somewere around 4.0-4.2 gig and with the system im looking at i think its very possible.
  • Cool#9
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Québec

Post 3+ Months Ago

ThATKiD' wrote:
...stock heat sick with an upgraded fan...

A better fan won’t do that much if you use a stock heat sink! :)

ThATKiD' wrote:
your processor shouldn’t be running at 68 celsiuse

It’s meant to! Its not my normal working PC,
It’s a dedicated rendering station, 24/7 at 100% cpu usage,
Try that! You will not be able to make the temperature lower then that in stock hardware!
Off course I can upgrade, but cpu’s can take peak temperatures up to 120 degree with no problem!
Off course it doesn’t reach that but the point is that 68 degree is nothing! So I have no worries. 8)

But I see now that you have big plans for your CPU,
and now I understand why you are looking for water cooling system,
you are crazy to bring your 3.0gig CPU at around 4.0-4.2 gig, good luck!:wink:
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

acutally with the old fan i made 60 - 70 C and i have actually loaded my comp all the way and recorded temp using the mb software and i never go over 60

ofcourse not 24/7
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool#9 wrote:
you are crazy to bring your 3.0gig CPU at around 4.0-4.2 gig, good luck!:wink:

It's very likely he will succeed if he keeps on how he is with planning.
A 1.6gig P4(512cache) in an abit-IT7 board will do 2.4gig stable.

ThatKid, stay away from peltiers for a few reasons.
[1] They consume an alot of power compared to water cooling.
[2] Sure one side of a peltier gets very cold, but the other side gets very hot at the same time. meaning you still have to use extra fans/ductwork to get that heat out of the case.
[3] It's easier to incorporate other things (video,chipsets,ect) into water cooling, imagine trying to get rid of the top-side heat a videocard or ram peltier would create without room for ducts :wink:

If you go with water cooling consider the following,
[1] The processor is hottest at the center, look for a waterblock that pumps water in as close to the center as possible.
[2] Get a big resovour, the more water that is going through the system the better. (takes longer for the same water to get back to a heat source, giving it more time to cool)
[3] Create seemingly un-needed loops in the tube where possible. (goes hand in hand with the big resovour)
[4] Read up on neoprene gaskits and thier instalation.
[5] Get a big radiator. (again, hand in hand with the resovour)
[6] Plan for every element that you will be cooling. It's better to split the output from the pump going to each individual waterblock then splice them back together right before the radiator so your not passing "half used" water to other elements.
[7] Make sure the pump you choose has a sufficient GPH flow rate to provide fast flow to ALL elements.
[8] Good fans are cheap, take a good look at the ones that may come with the radiator.
[9] Do Not use the chincy plastic hose clamps that they will try to sell you, go to the hardware store and get teflon tape, and some small metal hose clamps (the ones you use a screwdriver to tighten). wrap the barbs with teflon, slide the clamp way back onto the tube, wiggle the tube onto the barb, wrap the part of the tube that covers the barb with teflon (keeps clamp from damaging the tube), slide the clamp over the teflon-wrapped-tube-covered barb, and tighten the clamp.
[10] DO NOT put anything other than water into the system, if you follow the guidelines for having big resovour/looped-tubes/ect you will be fine. Some people will tell you to use car radiator fluid (the green stuff) Don't listen to them, radiator fluid may corode the innards of your pump and you would never know untill the system freezes. unless you add a flow meter to the pump output.
[optional] Look into an LED light that you can patch into the power going to the pump, if it dies, you want to know.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks alot joe bert. Actually the pelltier cooling you be sandwiched between the water block and the cpu. suposedly gets temperatures around 0c. i was look at the products at http://www.dangerden.com and they have a coolent not car radiator not sure what it is though. If you wouldnt mind taking a look and telling me if the would freez the pump. =)

im new to water cooling i always looked up more on phase change. too much $ though.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your talking about the "ZEREX Super Coolant" take a look at this real quick and forget about it alltogether :wink:
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=96

If your talking about the "REDLINE Water Wetter" take a look at this
http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

Quote:
This figure demonstrates the removal of heat from an aluminum bar at 304°F by quenching the bar in different coolants at 214°F under 15 psi pressure. Compare the time required to reduce the temperature of the aluminum to 250°F, or the boiling point of water at 15 psi. WaterWetter® required 3.2 seconds, water alone 3.7 sec, 50/50 glycol in water required 10.2 sec

This stuff is made for cars too, a difference of half of a second at theese temps is not enough to justify the cost of the product. For one, the differences will decline at the lower temps YOUR cooler will face.

As for the "UV Water Dye",
Quote:
Please be careful when using these dyes, as they do stain very easily

If it stains, it's corrosive.
I think you may know this allready, but make sure you use purified water in the system.

On to peltiers.
Realistically, all the setup you mention with CPU // Peltier // Waterblock is doing is passing the heat through the peltier at a cost of X-Amount of watts to the waterblock to consume another X-Amount of watts to dissipate.

Check this out, http://www.gideontech.com/guides/peltier/
Quote:
It is simply a “heat pump” that pumps heat from one side to the other when an electrical current is applied to the peltier.

Peltiers are the car salesmen of cooling systems :wink:
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive seen a lot of these products around, its all very interesting, but I cant help being skeptical. I just cant think of too many places that water, electrical components, and electricity go well together.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks alot joebert if you dont mind expect some pm from me in the new future your the new go to guy for water cooling info thanks alot .
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

there was actually a similar post here (or was it somewhere else?) where someone asked how a peltier worked and one issue to watch for was condensation that formed on the peltier?

I have no clue why or even if it does happen, but make sure you check this issue out...

hope it helps =)

water+computer is a very interesting mix... for some reason I can imagine in my anime intoxicated mind a computer with a gallon of water on top, with straws going in and out and a pump doing it's business. I shall post some drawings regarding it for the desperation of the whole forum =)
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a friend who got a water cooloing systme just because he had money to blow and a see through case with a blue light inside. Im telling you, it may not be needed, but it lokks DANG cool!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts