Weird ethernet card issue

• Rashakil Fol
  • Rashakil Fol

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi. I have an IBM thinkpad. Earlier today, when I came back from work, it seemed like the ethernet card just stopped working. The operating system could not detect it, even on reboot. Both Linux and Windows would not see it. I tried restarting about three times, tried turning the computer off a few times, unplugged it and replugged it, nothing worked.

So I decided to turn off the computer, let it sit for a while (about 30 minutes) and start it up again. Then the card started working, and everything seemed normal.

It still seems normal, but I'd like to know what made the card stop working. It was pretty warm out today, about 85 degrees and humid. The computer had been on all day with its lid shut, which does not put it in sleep mode.

Anybody experience this sort of thing?
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have experienced this but with a sound card. Check the PCI slot. Put the card into a different PCI slot. This should work. If it does not put it into one you know works. (ie. unplug your soundcard and put it in there) If this then does not work. Post back.

Welcome to OZZU !
  • Rashakil Fol
  • Rashakil Fol

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry. I shouldn't have used the word 'card', that's just what I'm used to saying. The ethernet port is built in to the laptop. It is not removable.

Thanks
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Has anything happened to it (ie. dropped, banged, any sudden movement.) look at it and check all of the metal wiring that is inside the chip. also, try calling the company
  • Rashakil Fol
  • Rashakil Fol

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help, anyway. I will probably never figure out why it stopped working for that period of time. I can't check the metal wiring without taking the laptop apart, and there's no good reason to do that. I'll wait for it to break again before calling.

No drops or bangs, fortunately :-)
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have experienced similar problems with a pcmcia slot in my thinkpad. It will sometimes stop working after the laptop has been on for more than a couple hours. I mainly use a wireless usb adapter, so it has never really been that much of a concern, but the symptoms on both of our thinkpads seem to point to heat related issues.

Maybe when the laptop gets too hot, due to expansion, something shorts out specific components. Try to replicate the problem like you said.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts