weird hard drive problem

• Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having a very odd hard drive problem, there was a problem detecting an external USB hard drive so I resorted to my default solution for hard drive detections which is the Windows error checking sector scan and fix. Now when I ran that it seemed to fix the problem, however files disappeared on that hard drive...I mean they actually vanished. You cannot see the files but they are still taking up space on the hard drive. So there is only 350 MB of files viewable, however the hard drive is registering 76 GB of files (which there should be). This is bugging me out, I have never seen anything like this before and have no idea how to fix it. I was going to try something drastic and reformat the entire hard drive and then use a recovery program, but I want that to be my absolute last resort. Has anybody seen this or heard of such a situation and the solution?

Note: No the files are not in the recycle bin.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DrummingAddict
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Mount Juliet, TN - Just east of Nashville

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to use a registry rebuild utility. It sounds to me like during the check and "fix" scan, the registry got hosed! that would explain why the data is there, but the access to it is not...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts