Western Digital Hard drive not cooperating

• shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: N.Y.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all,

I've had my Western Digital Passport external hard drive for somewhere around 5 years give or take. It is a 250gb usb powered drive, with no power outlet. It is formatted for a pc and I decided to try transferring files to a mac. Now, this is the part that stumps me. When plugging into a pc i can see and access smaller files, it takes the drive forever to load everything (like 10 Minutes) but I can't access bigger files. For instance, I was able to copy and paste anything that was not music, video or pictures. Now all my music is on my drive. I can see the music folder, but when i try to open it, it just takes forever to load and the passport drive ultimately goes to not responding then fails. Any ideas how to recover the music?

Thanks in advance
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot to mention the drive does not work on a mac either. Most frustrating part is seeing the file there, but then getting "not responding" from windows when I try to copy and paste the folder onto the computer. I can't open the music folder either.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does there seem to be any sort of cutoff for what file sizes you are not able to access? You mention small file sizes you can access, but larger ones you can't, would be curious on the exact numbers here.

Have you run the hard disk through any disk checking utilities yet?
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was trying to figure out a cutoff myself. The largest file I was able to retrieve was 254MB. The music file was around 25GB. The odd thing is I was able to pull music out that wasn't in the "music" file onto my computer.

I had tried using the western digital passport drive utility, but that didn't do much. In my frustration Windows 8 popped up with a solution to fix the drive. I had a feeling I'd lose what I was hoping to keep, but went with it anyway. I did save most stuff but sure enough the "music" and "mypictures" folders are gone. I'm thinking something corrupted those files.

Any good recovery programs you'd suggest? I'm currently using ParetoLogic Data Recovery. Not sure what results it will come up with but data recovery is a new frontier for me.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

25 GB for a music file sounds excessively large. If its is simply a mp3 file typically those seem to be less than 10 MB in my experience. The fact it was that size probably does indicate your filesystem was messed up.
  • shatter2day
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I was able to look at itunes and it has me at 20.53GB of music. That accounts for 3,441 songs and 9.5 days without a song repeating nonstop. So there was a lot there too. I'm convinced something got into the media folders, but no proof. I've tried recovering the files as well and no real luck there either.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts