Western Digital Surprise with new Laptop SATA

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was getting the BSOD Hive error on startup. I tried Windows Recovery Console and UBCD to repair but neither could find a volume. So, I decided to scrap it and just get a new HD. I went to BestBuy and picked up a 500GB WD SATA. I opened it up and a small piece of paper fell out that said, "We're giving you an extra 140GB for free." I thought this was very cool because just a few days prior I installed a new internal 3.5 that was suppose to be 500GB and it read at a little over 400GB which really p'd me off. I called another tech buddy of mine to vent and I said hard drive manufacturer's should give you a baker's dozen in GB to make sure that the customer at least gets what they pay for. I guess WD had my phone tapped. I know even back in the day I used to hear from other techs to always go with a WD over a Maxtor, etc but I don't think they ever had any "real" reasons/logic behind it until now. So, until I hear the same that other manufacturers are doing this I think I'm going to stick with WD when I can. Hopefully, they will keep up the promo and actually make all HD makers stop ripping people off.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hard drive maker's aren't ripping anyone off. It is just most people don't understand that a gig is equal to 1024 MB not 1000 MB. Your 500GB drive should have read somewhere in the neighborhood of about 488GB.

I like WD's because they are reliable, I rarely stray from WD. Even my 2.2PB of SAN storage at work is all WD.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe my math is off. Why are we dividing by 1024?

1GB = 1024MB

So,

500GB * 1024MB = 512000MB.

and

500 / 1024 = .488 which would be 488000MB, right?

488000MB ~= 477GB

Shouldn't the hard drive have at least 512000MB to be 500GB?

There's got to be a reason why they work backwards using the hard drive amount.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is the thing, hard drive manufacturers use the 1GB = 1000MB trick, that is why you end up with less hard drive space than advertised. It's a stupid thing and I have had countless conversations with people who don't understand that a GB is 1024MB.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1347640

That is probably the best answer I have seen in a while.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

It all sounds like deceptive advertising to me.

In any event, I'm a fan of Western Digital's drives as well. Another one I've had success with is Maxtor. :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts