What is better for my new PC?

• hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Puting it on stany by, or turning it off all the way? Does it matter?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

standby just puts it into low power mode [ie, still keeping it on] if you want a faster bootup in the morning, then put it in standby, otherwise turn it off.
  • hyawatha15
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • hyawatha15
  • Loc: Antioch, IL

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, its not true that turning off your computer completely is bad for the computer in the long run? Stand by is fine to use as well? kool, thanks
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just keep mine on all the time
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Any electronic device is better left in one state, then alternating between them.

Meaning its better to leave a computer running then to turn it on and off each day. The reason is that when you initially power on there is a "surge" of electricity through the item. This power up causes more stress then if it was constantly on.

Having said that, I am not completely sure how drastic the benefit or detrement is to the object.

I do know that with other items, for instance light bulbs, light bulbs will have a greater increased life always being on. This has been evidenced by light bulbs on fire houses that have been running 24 hours a day for in some cases over a hundred years.

Personally I keep my computer on 24/7 and only power it down when it needs a reboot.

Hope this helps
Dangles
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i leave mine on all the time unless it needs to reboot
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I turn off my desktop (just because its as loud as a jet engine) but I always leave my laptop on.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dangles wrote:
I do know that with other items, for instance light bulbs, light bulbs will have a greater increased life always being on. This has been evidenced by light bulbs on fire houses that have been running 24 hours a day for in some cases over a hundred years.

Actually the lights go off nowadays and we have a special switch activated by a high-band radio frequency sent by the county which opens all the garage doors, turns on all the lights, sends the alert to our pagers, sounds the fire siren and sends the report to the printer in the office. Which is good because it saves power, and the less we pay in power, the more we can spend on new Warrington Pro 5000's. :D

Anyway, back on topic. I normally keep my computers on 24/7/365. I have scheduled reboots once a week usually after it defrags, runs cleanmgr, flushs the dns cache and backs up my data to the tape drive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts