• Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Read carefully.
I have 2 sticks of 256 ram

One stick is 256 3200 ddr400mhz
The other is 256 2700 ddr333mhz

Something like that i think i still remember.

Now what if better running the single stick of the 3200 400 or running both sticks but they would be both running at 333?

right now i have them both in at 512ram but both running at 333mhz because i read on here that they run on the slowest ram speed.

So what is better? Thanks
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Partly depends on what your PC is capable of running. If your mobo only supports up to PC2700 then its not going to take advantage of the PC3200 anyway.

With that in mind and the fact that more and more programs are becoming memory eating crazy, I would go with having the two sticks in.

Yes you are correct in saying that the PC3200 will slow to 333Mhz but you also have to take into account you are gaining an extra 256Mb or system RAM.
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

aite thanks...my mobo does support the 3200 ddr400 stick becauise that stick came with it... i added the 2700 ddr333 stick.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your question has many variables attached to it that i will attempt to address quickly for you.

Right now the sweet spot for RAM is at the 1GB mark and this is best if you have a board that will run in dual channel. This is completely dependant on the MoBo/Processor configuration.

If you are on the Intel platform, then you will need a setup that is P-4 HT with at least an 865P chipset or higher.

With AMD the config if a little more tricky...the Athlon XP will support dual channel, but only if the chipset on your MoBo is nForce2 or higher, and the Athlon 64 requires you to be in one of the -FX series chips since the memory controller is on the proc die.

So with this in mind you will want to find the sweet spot that your particular system will operate at, and Enigmatic is right on target with more RAM is better...even at different frequencies, but if you really want to take full advantage of your system potential you will want to use matched memory, especially if your system will support dual channel.

Good luck!! :)
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

how do i find out that my mobo is daul channel?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

5k1LLz wrote:
how do i find out that my mobo is daul channel?

It will say in the spec sheet on your manufacturer's website. If you tell us the motherboard brand and model we can figure it out for you.
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

its a store bought computer so it doesnt say...

its an ACER FV tower... with a intel pentium 4 socket LGA775, fsb 533/800mhz cpu

i dont know why i put that maybe it might help..

there are 4 slots and 2 are the same colour and the other 2 or different..

like blue and orange or something iunno.. my mobo is purple..ill see if i can find a model number on it.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

LGA775 is dual channel I believe.
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

TomK wrote:

but i would need daul channel ram to make this work?

how do i turn on daul channal? is there a programs? i stuck those 2 sticks on the same colour.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

5k1LLz wrote:
TomK wrote:

but i would need daul channel ram to make this work?

how do i turn on daul channal? is there a programs? i stuck those 2 sticks on the same colour.

You need to use identical RAM modules in order to run your RAM in dual channel. Most companies offer "dual channel kits" which have two equal RAM modules.
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh oops... mine are different speeds.. so if i can get another 256 ddr400 i can daul channel?

i just download CPU-Z and it says that my mobo is

ACER MODEL= E91M

In memory tab it says channel # DAUL.

is it a daulchannel ram mobo?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might have problems if they're not the exact same brand and model.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

To run in dual channel you need to have 2 MATCHED pieces of RAM.

By matched I mean speed and density. I have seen systems that run in dual that are using RAM from 2 different manufactures (Muskin, and Corsair) but the sticks were the same speed and density.

If you look at the boards there are 2 types...single sided and double sided...this is the "density" that I am referring to. You might be able to get away with using RAM from 2 different companys by matching speed and density, but the best thing to do is make sure that you are using identical matched sticks on your board.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Easy way to make sure they are matched ... buy the RAM from the supplier that has the phrase "Matched Pair" in the description :P
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks....so what if i had 2 512mb pc3200 ddr400 but different manafature... still works great in daul channel?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

5k1LLz wrote:
thanks....so what if i had 2 512mb pc3200 ddr400 but different manafature... still works great in daul channel?

The timings need to match as well. It'll be a huge headache unless you buy exactly indentical RAM modules.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

They may work, I have never tried it. Thing is, if you do that then they won't be a "Matched Pair". The whole point behind the phrase "Matched Pair" is that the pair are identical in every way.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncle_Slappy wrote:
To run in dual channel you need to have 2 MATCHED pieces of RAM.

By matched I mean speed and density. I have seen systems that run in dual that are using RAM from 2 different manufactures (Muskin, and Corsair) but the sticks were the same speed and density.

If you look at the boards there are 2 types...single sided and double sided...this is the "density" that I am referring to. You might be able to get away with using RAM from 2 different companys by matching speed and density, but the best thing to do is make sure that you are using identical matched sticks on your board.

Yes I know that I am repeating myself...you have a 50/50 shot so long as the density is the same for both sticks. 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts