What could cause cpu to run 80° @ idle?

• champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got an xp 2400+ from ebay.

Put it in the mobo with my own heatsink/fan (with thermal paste mind you) and turned it on. It would crash during boot of linux and say CPU 0 blah blah blah... so anyways, got into the bios and it was running at 80 degrees! :O

The powersupply is new, says its getting correct voltage. FSB is set correctly, mhz showing correctly. It just runs HOT (and unstable).

so i let it cool down, put it in another motherboard, reset the heatsink fan whatever. popped it in and went right to bios.. climbed 1-2 sometimes 3 degrees at a time until it got around 70+ it started slowing down.

Now i should mention that 1) 2 pins were *slightly* bent that i had to straighten, and 2) it was packaged in plastic bubble wrap (possibility of ESD?)

I dont have much experience with static other then I know its bad. I have a wrist strap i use, but If any static happened in the package im unsure.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Freakster
  • Born
  • Born
  • Freakster

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is the recommended Heatsink used with adequate cooling?

also a cou from ebay, could of been over clocked, well to check that see if there are any pencil marking on the cpu's bridges.. The L5 or the L2 bridges, if there is, the cpu could have been over clocked physically

hope this helps
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

the temperature readings could be wrong, often the mobos internal temperature sensors are not acurate. Also did you use thermal paste between the cpu and the heatsink?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

champi0n wrote:
I got an xp 2400+ from ebay.

- First Mistake.

Quote:
Now i should mention that 1) 2 pins were *slightly* bent that i had to straighten, and 2) it was packaged in plastic bubble wrap (possibility of ESD?)

- Furthers my first point.

Quote:
I dont have much experience with static other then I know its bad. I have a wrist strap i use, but If any static happened in the package im unsure.

Static wouldn't cause this, and its not really indicative of the processor being bad.

You need adequate cooling for the processor. It's not just the heat sink, fan and thermal interface medium. You also need to take into account airflow and space inside the case and outside the case, ambient temperature, quality of motherboard and power supply.

I'm a fanatic about not cutting corners on the power supply. I would definitely check the size and efficiency of the HSF (Heat Sink & Fan) and the airflow inside and out of the case. As for the TIM (Thermal Interface Material), I usually use arctic silver and follow their best practices for TIM application. You can find it on their website. Seems a little overkill, but it's worth an extra degree centigrade or two.
  • avalanchez71
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • avalanchez71

Post 3+ Months Ago

The AthlonXP family is well-known for running hot. They are certified up to 90*C, but I wouldn't recommend running them higher than about 60 at idle.

The 2400 is the pre-Barton core, so it'll be slightly hotter than the Bartons. Make sure you have a good heatsink and fan. Your case's airflow should also be good, making sure the heat being generated is expelled from the case in a goo fashion.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea consider how many intake vs vent fans you have and make sure that the hot air is blowing in an apropriate direction (EX the power supply blowing hot air into instead of out of the case, Yes I have seen this done! or that your power supply isnt blowing the hot air out against a wall where there is nowhere for it to go)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Environment is important in computer health. I know people can't afford mission-critical cooled server rooms with raised ant-static floors and indirect florescent lighting.

But you can't shove a computer underneath your desk on carpet in a mess of taught wires, dust and cat hair while using it as a footrest connected to a measly surge protector thats grossly overloaded anyway.

Treat your computer like you would a 2007 Mercedes Benz SL500 AMG. Like real-estate, the three most important things: Location, Location, Location. You do not put it in the family room where a toddler is going to shove PB & J sandwiches into the floppy drive and crayons in the USB ports. You also do not smoke 19,000 packs of cigarettes a day in front of a computer. People forget that a computer is a bunch of electrical components. Cigarette smoke leaves traces behind that ARE EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. Mix that with dust and God knows what and you got a great ignition point right there.

Now... Here are a few tips.
1.) Don't set it on a floor, raise it up, even a few inches with something. Like a small table or even a "computer stand!"

2.) Neat cabling looks nicer and saves you from the accidental power-off while you are writing your thesis due tomorrow thusly destroying your overly procrastinated 4 hours worth of work.

3.) For the love of Beer, CONNECT IT TO A UPS! Not a power strip, get a real Uninterruptible Power Supply with Automated Voltage Regulation. You want something at least 60% larger than what your computer's Power Supply draws at peak. This allows for a decent LCD monitor and a cellphone charger to be plugged in as well (Handy for a power outage).

4.) Don't connect your printer to a UPS. Do you REALLY need to print during a blackout? If you want a backed up printer, get a second smaller UPS.

5.) Your router, cable modem, and any switches - should be on their own UPS. They use very little power. Mine are on like a 400 watt UPS and run for well over an hour and a half during a power outage.

6.) Keep it cool. Computers are not Tropical beings. If your cold, get off the couch and get some blood pressure pumping. Woman unfortunately can't be helped. They can be in a parka in the Florida Keys at 11:00am in the middle of August in direct sunlight and still be cold.

7.) If I see one more computer stuck in a "computer cabinet" desk, I will SCREAM! Gee I wonder why my machine reboots every 30 seconds... oh wait its because its closed in a cabinet where its 9,000,000,000,000^6362 degrees!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts