What does this mean?

• smurf
  • smurf

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to find drivers for my DVD Drive after a re-install of Windows XP because it doesn't read the DVD i put in it. So I try to look up the manufacturer in device manager and it says "(Standard CD-ROM drives)"

The name it gives the drive, if it means anything, is "SCSIVAX DVD/CD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device".

I'm quite lost as to what to do next, thanks.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most CD/DVD drives (including burners) do not require any special drivers. Unless you are using a SCSI CD/DVD drive, if you don't specifically know for sure that you have a SCSI DVD drive then I doubt you do. It could be that a glitch in windows could have misread the drive.

I have seen windows even detect phantom hardware that didn't exist on the system. Try deleting the device or moving it to another IDE channel.

If it IS a scsi drive, make sure all the scsi controller drivers are installed and configured properly. If windows sees the drives and it just can't read DVD's then make sure the drive is not broken. Unless your just getting "No DVD decoder is installed on this machine" when you try to load a DVD movie. Then you need a dvd decoder to play the DVD movies.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts