What makes better FPS in a graphics card?

• PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

*Looking for someone that knows A LOT about graphics cards to reply.*

I recently bought a graphics card which I assumed was pretty decent. Last night two people I hang out with (that do a lot of PC gaming) criticized that I could have bought another card from the same company, but a different type of card for the same price or cheaper and that it would have been better. Even though the card they claim was better has a core clock and memory clock that is slower than the card I purchased. The only thing I just noticed now is the card they said was better has a memory bus that is 256 instead of the one I bought which is 128 and the fill rate and memory bandwidth is 1.5x faster. And according to some site Tom's hardware they kept referring to, the FPS was much faster than my card?

So what determines FPS in a graphics card?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://eve.grismar.net/wikka.php?wakka= ... ond#toc_h1
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Consider a shed which is 8 feet by 8 feet (2.5 metres by 2.5 metres) wide has no doors, this is your video memory.

Consider a normal bike, this is the images you see.

Now if you cut a normal sized door hole in that shed you should easily & quickly be able to take the normal bike in & out of that shed, this door is your bus width.

You may even be able to fit a car in that shed, this car is a more complex image.
You would have to dismantle the car, bring it in piece by piece, & place each piece in special positions so it would all fit, the speed at which you could do this is your clock speed. It would also be the speed at which you could take the bike in & out of the shed.

Now if you increased the size of the shed to 16 feet by 16 feet wide (5 metres by 5 metres) which would be increasing your video memory, you could probably fit two cars in the shed, but you would still have to dismantle them before you could bring them in & they'd still have to be stored in special positions. You'ld also still be limited by the speed at which you could do this.

Now you could increase the speed at which you dismantle the cars & store them, even get your buddies to help.

Or, you could put a bigger door in now that the shed's bigger, which would be increasing your bus width & allow you to move a single car in & out as fast as you could originally move the bike in & out on the shed.

By the way, the color of the bike shed is not important.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah so it's the bus, like I thought...

Yeah I pretty much knew how all those worked already, thing is I wasn't sure what was on gfx cards until recently. I just read a ton about them, now I know for future reference. The card I got had faster speeds, but the speeds weren't twice as fast to make up for the bus difference, so I'm screwed there. But that's okay cause my card is DX10, the other one was just DX9. :wink:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
By the way, the color of the bike shed is not important.

This is true, however, the temperature of the bike shed IS important. If you're like me, you kept your bike shed itself in a small house with very few windows. After a while, the people carrying the bike and car in and out of the shed collapsed from the heat, and I had to go out and buy a whole new shed. :cry:

I miss those little guys.
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

lmfao, let's just talk about make pretend things in all threads.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

PunkPuke wrote:
lmfao, let's just talk about make pretend things in all threads.

To be honest, joebert's analogy described everything perfectly. And hell, if it helps people understand, why not, lol
  • PolishHurricane
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that's what I'm saying, use them from now on.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

It really was a pretty good analogy and description. Not to mention entertaining.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts