What Is a "server Computer"?

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is a server computer? what makes them diferent from a normal computer?

Dont laugh :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

A server is used to store data rather than be physically used. Basically just a mass storage device.

Good server example is the internet server(s). These are small unit boxes that only contain compoments required to store data. They tend not to have any input devices or VDU's

Some companies that use servers for storing data do have input/output devices connected to the server so they can monitor them.

Your school/place of work shold have a server. Ask your IT dude if you can take a look, if he/she is nice, they may say yes. :D
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

oooohhhhh, so its not like the servers on my games?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

EliteHunter wrote:
oooohhhhh, so its not like the servers on my games?

You get servers that are just used for storing games yes.
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

A dedicated game server could prove to be an example. Such as a WoW, EVE, EnB, etc server. Basically, those computers are sitting by themselves in a datacenter processing and providing information to the clients attaching to the server and providing the information so long as they clients have the authorization to access the server.

So in the most basic sense, the server is a program that provides services to other programs an/or clients.

A client is the program that is requesting a service in the client~~server relationship.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, sound interesting....well how fast does the internet connection have to be for one of thes servers?

How much would it cost to build one?

What do you mean by "storing"?
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

A server can basically be any program that acts in the way to providing a service to another program or user.

If you are using windows 2000, XP then with chance, you've seen that the system has IIS and FTP capabilities. Knowing there is an Apache admin cringing whenever I say IIS, but for FTP, you can have an NT OS (NT, 2000, XP, Longhorn) be a server quite easy and normally with the hard drive you have presently.

Game servers can be almost anything. Hosting a 32 player game on a dedicated Tribes 1 server doesn't require quite the same as a Tribes Vengenance dedicated server or with the release of boyfriend:2, which would require more than either one. Servers have to worry about storage, memory, processors and the bandwidth. Game servers are normall connected to high-end trunks to the internet or other types of networks.

So as for the build, are you building a game server. A web server, file application server, going to be using wireless and create a streaming Home audio/video server, fax servers, FTP server, list server, mail server, telnet server, proxy server, RAS server, real time communication servers (IM's, IRC, chat servers), collaboration servers ( such in the case of groupware)
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i wanted to try and build a games sever for halo, CSS, And CS 1.6.

Or can i only choose one? anyway....
I really dont know anything about these server or how to run them so...

Where would i start?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take into consideration things such as:
  1. Server Housing
  2. Server Location
  3. Dedicated IP Address
  4. UPS
  5. Storage Capacity
  6. Server Hardware

You really need to think about what is it you want to acheive from the server then look into building it.

Also, think whether it is going to be cheaper to buy a server, rent a server or build your own. Sometimes it is cheaper and less hassle to buy/rent one because of things such as maintanence.
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here are the specs for Halo Dedicated Server:

http://www.gamershell.com/news/9686.html
minimum requirements:

* Multimedia personal computer with a 733 MHz or higher processor.
* Windows 98 SE, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Service Pack 1, or Windows XP.

* 128 Megabytes (MB) of RAM.
* 200 MB of available hard disk space.
* Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
* Broadband internet connection.

These differ from the retail version of Halo for the PC by not requiring:
* 8× CD-ROM drive.
* 32 MB 3D hardware-transform-and-lighting-capable video display.
* Sound card and speakers or headphones.
* DirectX 9.0b.

To run an optimal Halo Dedicated Server, a personal computer with the following requirements is recommended:
* Personal computer with a 1.4 GHz or higher processor.
* Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server (with all service packs installed)
* 256 Megabytes (MB) of RAM or more.
* 200 GB of available hard disk space.
* Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.

As for CSS, you are speaking about creating the web server for hostin g your own CSS files? Or are we talking about Counter Strike Source server?

I'll pretend its Counter Strike for the easier explanation.

If going through windows, below is a link for the How-to for Source server. Not your run of the mills install. I found as simple as I could get it instructions for CS:S dedicated server for Windows.

http://www.srcds.com/db/engine.php?suba ... 1097362093

the CS's server team comments can be found below:
http://server.counter-strike.net/server ... ow=windows

and Counterstrike 1.6... being behind the company firewall limits the sites I can see, butlet me see... I'll edit it back on when I see it.

As for having three servers running ont he same machine... if you are running Intel and using the Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 840 (dual core), while having a GB or more of memory (DDR2), and using 2 500GB SATA 3G Hitachi 7K500 Deskstar in a RAID 0 or in a Matrix RAID config, I'd say, sure, go at it, as long as you got a good solid trunk.

But... I don't know your specs. If it s a normal system, I'd at least make sure you got a good pipe to your ISP and if you are lacking on lots of proc and memory, then decrease max player count. You can run multiple game servers on the same box. It may just impact the performance and increase the latency found on the other games servers and how the clients respond to the lag.

Back in the heyday, we had Hakkenden Dojo for Tribes 1 be on the same box at times that was running the Hak's boyfriend:1942 server. There was some lag at times, but it was still playable. The only thing I see possibly is that having three game servers on one box. If you intend to use the box for other things like surfing or dvd playback, the clients will be hurting from too many processes running on the server and the server's CPU being used up on other things.

Anyone, I'll stop talking and look for 1.6
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic speaks the truth. See what ya are wanting to do with the server. If for a Guild, does the box need to run three servers at once, or possibly just two.

okay.. 1.6...
http://www.techie.net.nz/howto/counterstrike.html

another website is:
http://lineman.net/node/312

HLDS Download page for Win32
http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=hldswin
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

O.k. im going try and build a server. for hosting Halo PC server.

( :lol: So stop teaching me stuff ti'll i build one! :lol: )

Well to build a server computer....? is a server computer much differnt Phisicly from a normal computer?

What parts would i need to buy?
  • ComputerManDan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ComputerManDan
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

forget the PC specs for now.... if plan on hosting these game over the internet you best have one heck of a connection (upload that is)! If you are just planning on this server for your own home lan parties then carry on.

You will want a Static IP (one that will not change) and a connection with a high upload speed. Most DSL and Cable connections have high download speeds (over 1500kbps) to surf the net, but the upload speed (usually under 384kbps) affects how fast people can download from you... say if your PC was hosting a website or in your case the Halo game. Most game/web servers are on dedicated lines like a T1 which has 1500kbps on both the up and down stream, but they will cost you usually over $300/month! :shock:
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, the lesson is harvest kidneys and get an OC-3 connection!

:P

A box is a box. Whether its Windows XP or LANtastic 3.0 *watches people shudder*

The Upload is going to be your limit. My DSL here in Austin, TX is using sbcglobal, I get quite a bit over 1.544Mbps a lot, however as ComputerManDan says, the upload is hitting only around that 384kbps and not much can be done to increase that besides getting more cash, or convincing the CEO that the server would be outside the DMZ and only sucking bandwidth at nights.

Lots of practice speechs I have on getting server time ^_^
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

ComputerManDan wrote:
forget the PC specs for now.... if plan on hosting these game over the internet you best have one heck of a connection (upload that is)! If you are just planning on this server for your own home lan parties then carry on.

You will want a Static IP (one that will not change) and a connection with a high upload speed. Most DSL and Cable connections have high download speeds (over 1500kbps) to surf the net, but the upload speed (usually under 384kbps) affects how fast people can download from you... say if your PC was hosting a website or in your case the Halo game. Most game/web servers are on dedicated lines like a T1 which has 1500kbps on both the up and down stream, but they will cost you usually over $300/month! :shock:

Well i have SBC DSL Pro (3.0mbps) Im not sure how good that is but i wanted to host Halo Deticated server over the internet AND LAn But also i want the sever to run 24/7. (i have 5ive computers). WTh is a Stadic IP? how can i get it?

PS: i wanted to run the halo deticated server with my custom modded maps. And Can the server run two differnt game servers at once? (halo Custom edittion, Halo PC)

Also when i download it downloads at 612 to 600K/s
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Static versus dynamic. Status Quo versus change.

A static IP address is set to never change. Good for routers, as it allows master servers to know who and where you are constantly. Also a handy thing to have when on a network for printers and the like.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

.......right im just gunna get help from someone that can teach me in noobish fourms of speaking (grandpa) he knows everything. :Lol:
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your PC that connects to the internet has a "dynamic" IP address [ I presume you know what an IP is ]. When you connect to the internet your PC is assigned an IP by your ISP. When you disconnect your IP is removed. When you log back on you are given an IP address again only this time it might not be the same IP. It changes, hence being "dynamic".

A "static" IP does NOT change whether you are connected to the internet or not. Static IP's are used for servers as a server needs a static IP because that is the address of the server. If the server was to have a power failure and be D/Ced the IP may change and the server address would therefore have changed. This means people might not be able to find it again without being told the NEW IP.

There is slightly more to it than that but I thought I may confuse you more if I went into too much detail.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

You thought Right!

Smart man. 8)
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

EliteHunter wrote:
.......right im just gunna get help from someone that can teach me in noobish fourms of speaking (grandpa) he knows everything. :Lol:

Learn in Wiki, Trust in Wiki and if Wiki fails... whatis does fairly well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Ho ... n_Protocol

http://searchenterprisevoice.techtarget ... 94,00.html

Sorry for answering in riddles, still awake from thursday. =) Work projects can be tiresome, but fun.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

....i forgot to tell you pplz that i know nothing of what you telling me. (like wtf is "winki" DHCP, NNTP, SSH, IRC, SNMP, SIP, RTP, Telnet, Etc...

so ima learn soon from a computer tooter

PS i know what an IP (internet Protocal) is.
:lol: im smart!!!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Who needs a tutor ... ?

Google has the answer to everything !!
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i tierd so i cant think and forgot about Google's wonderful world of "answers" :lol:
  • broadbander
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeppers.

Seek glory in Google and answers you will find. It may be on page 46 in a cached page... but the truth is out there!

All I need now is a animated smileywith a preacher laying down the gospel of google...

:P
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

go to google and in the search bar type in "define: [whatever the word is]"

without the quotes or brackets

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts