What is the code

• irsath
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • irsath

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want delet my " Temporary files .....

so..how can i type in the "Run" sear bar............

Thanks
irsath
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont know the answer to your question but this should have been posted in the Microsoft Windows section.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend this to everyone. It's written as non-tech-minded as possible, but you have to read it all and follow all the steps. I've seen sometihng as simple as this free up as much as 3GB on someone's computer before. I guess that's what aborting video game installs can do to a drive! ;)

THIS IS FOR WINDOWS 9x/ME:
REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER (this gets rid of as many as possible (but still not all) of the temp files that are IN USE, allowing you to clear the folder. If you try to empty your temp folder while you're downloading something, or while you have a lot of programs running, there will be a lot of files it won't let you delete.

Click START then RUN.
Type:
C:\windows\temp
At the top of the window click "EDIT" then "SELECT ALL."
Press the DELETE KEY on your keyboard. Answer "yes" to any pop ups asking if you're sure you want to delete all the files.

Try to delete ALL files - nothing in that folder is critical to the operation of your system (Microsoft used to keep things like disk images of office in that folder (allowing for easier patching and updating, without asking you for the CD), but have since wised up and moved them elsewhere, so everything should).

THIS IS FOR WINDOWS XP
First you need to know what user you are logged on as.

Administrator
Bob
Lisa
etc...

You can generally tell this by pressing CONTROL+ALT+DELETE and in the TASK MANAGER clicking "processes." The processes will show a "user name" column. The name that appears the most is probably who you are signed on as, especially if no other users are logged on at te same time.

Let's say your main user account is "Bob."

To delete your temp files:
REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER (this gets rid of as many as possible (but still not all) of the temp files that are IN USE, allowing you to clear the folder. If you try to empty your temp folder while you're downloading something, or while you have a lot of programs running, there will be a lot of files it won't let you delete.

After you have rebooted:
click START then go to RUN.
Type the following:
C:\documents and settings\Bob\Local Settings\Temp
At the top of the window click "EDIT" then "SELECT ALL."
It may tell you that there are hidden files - select YES to "select" even the hidden files.
Press the DELETE KEY on your keyboard. Answer "yes" to any pop ups asking if you're sure you want to delete all the files.

If it stops and says a file cannot be deleted, it is whatever file is "first in line" at the top of the folder. Delete files by highlighting as many as possible EXCEPT the first file or folder - and press the DELETE key again. Answer yes.

If it stops again, just work your way from the BOTTOM - UP. There may be a few files you can't delete, but you can usually still delete file IN the folders, just not specific files.

While I never run into files that can't be deleted right after a reboot - I also don't run many programs down in my "system tray" so I don't have many temp files other than left overs from instals, etc...

Okay, sorry for the length.

Good luck, everone. If you need steps clarified, just let me know!

NuAngel
  • hiryux
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

another way would be to delete the cache for your browser. Tons of stuff gets stored there for quicker loading on screens when you're in the internet. Just go to "tools" (in IE), and then "internet options" for it... you should be able to delete all your offline content material there. It probably won't free 3 gb, but if you're looking for temp files, that may be one of the folders (if not the same) you may want to hit.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good point. Web temp files are generally not in the same temp folder.

For Internet Explorer 6:
Win9x/ME:
C:\windows\temporary internet files
Win2K/XP:
C:\documents and settings\BOB\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.

These can be deleted by opening IE, clicking TOOLS then INTERNET OPTIONS and then clicking DELETE FILES on the main window that opens up there. I would also recommend clicking on SETTINGS right beside the "delete files" button and adjusting the slider to no more than 200MB. I've heard of people using under 75MB, but I myself like to have at least a little padding... but when I came across a computer at work that someone had set to literally ~3.7GB, I was astonished that anyone ever WANTED that much of their internet history cached and trackable! ;)

NuAngel

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts