What is the ULTIMATE gaming computer?

• Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Manchester, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cant wait for that....... will kick ass on BF2 especially with the nex expansion pack coming out soon :lol:

and anyone got any reviews of these dual core graphics cards and maybe the quad CPU's??

Adam
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

also guys out of the roadmap what do you think will be best for gaming. Im hoping one of the Dual cores will be instead of the FX?? Only because with Dual I can play a game whilst copying files or running virus checks etc.....

Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thye aren't invented yet and are just ideas on paper (the quad-core anyway). The dual 7800GTX will be out in Q2 06 if I am not mistaken.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I posted about MaximumPC's dream machine that had Dual dual core procs. The benchmarks were actually dissappointing. It kicked ass in games but that was because of the dual 7800's in SLI mode. But goping back to the procs, it didn't handle multi-threaded apps very well since they weren't written for 4 processors, so it performed like a dual proc system. They did mention that they did not test the machine as a multitasking power user where the multiple cores would definitely be a benefit. I'm not jumping on the dual core bandwagon yet until software developers start writing code to take advantage of it.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

why hasnt anyone said "mine :)" ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
why hasnt anyone said "mine :)" ?

Cyrix 266 Mhz with 64mb of ddo and a 500 Mbyte ATA 33 Hard Drive? :lol:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

PWNAGE!!!!

:)
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im probably gonna wait till after xmas to see what AMD bring hopefully there new shipset wont be far after so Im gonna work my ass off and save up some cash :P

Adam
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, its gotta have a vapochill, but, the new Dual Core processors put too much strain on them when overclocked (the wattage of heat outputted is greater than a vapochill can dispearse, which is allot. 220Watt for the LS). Therefore i would have to go for a fat ass watercooling system pre chilled by a set of tecs? 227 watt each? (im hoping a power bill wont be an issue :P 4 x 227 watt tecs comes out at realistically 1.4kW.) Add a tripple fan radiator to cool the tecs. I would obviously choose a 4800 X2. Thats the processors sorted

I would have to have a pair of 7800GTXes in SLi. Water cooled of course.

3 74gb raptors in raid 3? with 2 quarlets of raid 0+1 the new Samsung PS120s? thats 1.14TB of storage. More than enough for a bit 8)

Add the 'imfamous' DFI Lan Party SLI-DR (only component that i have on this list). This simply kicks for overclocking. With the multiplyer down on my athlon 64 i can easily hit an FSB of 390Mhz.

2 x 1Gb sticks of the new G.Skill. Latencies of 2 3 3 6. These are ment to overclock very well for 2gb sticks, about 265Mhz. 12 *265 = 3.180Ghz on each core, finding a X2 that could do that would be tricky though so realistically you are looking at 3Ghz.

All of this wrapped in a modded coolermaster stacker.

XP for this system would be sacrilidge so i would go for Server 2003 Enterprise Edition :D

Only problem with this pc is, it would cost so much, and some of the parts arnt available for another month or two. Other than that i would love it...
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
XP for this system would be sacrilidge so i would go for Server 2003 Enterprise Edition :D

Isn't 2003 server really XP server?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it isn't. 2003 is a solid stable OS that has way more functionality than XP but of course it is a server OS. I use it at my home running a Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP. It also functions as a file and print server. Try doing that with XP.

The only comment I have is that server OS's don't make for very good gaming systems and using SLI will probably be a waste of time since it may or may not support it.

Utilizing XP or even Vista will be a better option for gaming and using SLI.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

My PC runs server 2003 fine, and its SLied.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Duel Core CPUs are verry Powerfull but not as FAST as sungle cores and they are far more expensive and havent fully been utalized

if you ask me using dual core CPUs should be reserved for server use until they are more mainstream

my recomendation is this

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX 55 ClawHammer $800.00

Mobo: Asus K8N SLi Primo $176.00

Vid Card A: MSI NX7800GTX-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 $465.00
Vid Card B: MSI NX7800GTX-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 $465.00

Ram:3X CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered [4 is to slow and makes issues happen :throwmonitor: ]

HDD A-B:2x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150-raid 5[mirrored and striped] $185.00 EACH

HDD C-D:2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive-raid 5[mirrored and striped] $115.00 each

DVD Burner: Plextor between $75.00 and $150.00

Cooling:GIGABYTE GH-WIU01 Liquid Cooling System $140.00

and it costs ya around.... 2500 bucks
then just choose a case and you are good to go
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys u might remember me being about when this post 1st came out well i thought sod dreaming about the machine and build it so ive set off here is my specs

asus a8n premium SLI
r-type 580w psu
amd fx 57
512 x2 patriot xblk ram
samsung spinpoint p120s (250gb) will have x4 in at the end
leadtek 7800gtx will have secound one next month for SLI
dvd rewritter toshiba sd-t5372-bk x2
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant quite understand that post but ok :?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

sod means the f-curse [i think] the rest i shall put throught the wacky british language translator and wait for results! this usually takes several hours as it processes the information at relatively the same speed asUNIVAC 1

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 76 posts