What is the ULTIMATE gaming computer?

• Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Manchester, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi i'm abit of a noob at computers but I was looking around for good forums about hardware etc and future hardware and I loved the reviews etc that people gave so I decided to register. i'm a big fanatic top of the line computers I know it sounds bitter but I always like to have a better computer than anyone else (not to brag/boast about it, Just so I know :oops: :roll: ) anyway I want to see lots of opinions no matter what they are of the ULTIMATE GAMING RIG!

Thanks Adam
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

theyre the ones that you build
no alienware, dell, compaq, duck excrement
but one that you but time and effort into.

off the top of my head,

motherboard
processors (2x)
thats for the os install. you can put up to 4 gigs of ram on it and use it as a os install drive this is the url for the benchmarks for it
the ram, well be getting 16 of these
plus the ram for the ram disk.

raid controller
2 of these in raid 0 for games and apps and such
and then 2 of these in raid 0 for other material such as music videos, documents and such
this would eb the power supply
and 2 of these babies

and all of this would come together in some sort of liquid nitrogen cooling/immersion system

i didnt bother witht the price because i was too lazy.
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol that looks like one hell of a machine. i'm loving the Nitrogen theory :lol:

But would the dual opteron processer be any good for gaming??

Thanks Adam

P.S This Gaming machine can be the ULTIMATE OK!! so your aloud 16GB of DDR2 ram!!!
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do not need that. You want more of a home computer.

Either:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra SLI-DR

Either:
AMD Athlon 64 FX59 (or FX57 if you don't want to wait)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (4800+ if you don't want to wait)

And everything else: The same as he said.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the aforementioned[ the one i "made up" ]comes with 32 gbs of ram
besides, neither of the aforementioned motherboards support more than 4 gigs of ram. thats a womans ram amount!
we need overkill, and then some!
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

and screw a home computer, he wants the ultimate computer!!!!
thats 2 dual core processors running at around 2 ghz, meaning alltogether, around 8 ghz of processing power.
you will not have any, i repeat, any lag, in any game, for at least the next year [lol] [it'd be much longer, you get the point]

ps, cute dog
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing wrong with buying a pre-built gaming PC as long as you take your time and look into the options avaliable to you.

I would have to agree with 4ss_munk3y in saying dont go with Dell, Compaq / HP or one of the other hight street mass PC producing companies, look around.

Alienware do some great gaming PC's, these are also upgradable [ unlike DELL etc ] so you don't have to buy a completly new PC each year.

Alienware are well known to make good gaming PC's [ they also make rubbish ones that cost too much so you still have to be carefull ]. Along side Alienware there is Holly [ http://www.hollycomputers.co.uk ], Voodoo [ http://www.voodoopc.com ] and Scan[ http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ ] make some pretty decent gaming PC's aswell.

All systems are fully customisable on the websites and most are well priced and not worth ignoring unless you have your heart set on building your own.

Building your own will be cheaper [ you won't be paying for build time and other hidden charges ] but you will get customer service and if your not sure on building PC's, thats always helpfull.

Either way its up to you, both will give a great gaming PC. Just thought I would give my two cents.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

All a really good gaming PC needs is:

1. Very good Cooling
2. High End Video Card
3. High End Proc (you could possibly skimp on this one a little)
4. Fast Hard Drive (10,000RPM or higher)
5. Lots of fast RAM

Most of the crap that is out there now like dual core and 64 bit stuff isn't really going to help you much in gaming unless your game can take advantage of utilizing more than one core or processor. 64 bit won't come into play till they make 64 bit games.

Unless you are a show off and have money to just throw away you don't need most of it.

Falcon Northwest also makes some impressive (expensive) custom PC's.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

try http://www.savrow.com they have some ultimate gaming pc's.
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Grinch You sound like the type of person who knows what hes talking about. Do you think you could explain in more detail please the exact parts you would buy from what case and PSU down to the fans etc.. every little detail.

Please guys instead of just saying oh X2 will be crap for gaming. That tells me what NOT to buy I want to know WHAT to buy please. lol

I was looking to buy an AMD athlon dual core 64 X2 4800+ CPU but I need to know things like this whether or not they will be good for gaming etc..

Thanks and lets getsome in depth replies going lol. If you have got the time. It will be well appreciated. also consider whether to wait for the new X2 dual core 5000+ and the M2 board?

Adam
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for double posting but just thourght of something. Has there been any reviews of the new EN 6800 ultra 256md Dual core Graphics card!! :) It looks sweet???

Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego core
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Memory: 2x Corsair XMS 2GB TWINX2048-3200C2PRO (total of 4GB memory)
Video Cards: 2x BFG Geforce 7800GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E x16
Hard Drives: 4x WD Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10k RPM SATA150 HDD
Hard Drives: 2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD
Optical Drives: 2x Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVD+-RW DL
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI SLI 850W PSU
Sound Card: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Case: Lian Li V-2100B Black Aluminum Case
Case Cooler: Asetek VapoCHill Mission Critical Case Cooler
CPU Cooler: Asetek VapoChill LS CPU cooling system

$8,823.75 for the entire system.

DOn't worry about the SLI Premium being upside down, the case chiller will take care of it.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego core
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Memory: 2x Corsair XMS 2GB TWINX2048-3200C2PRO (total of 4GB memory)
Video Cards: 2x BFG Geforce 7800GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E x16
Hard Drives: 4x WD Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10k RPM SATA150 HDD
Hard Drives: 2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD
Optical Drives: 2x Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVD+-RW DL
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI SLI 850W PSU
Sound Card: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Case: Lian Li V-2100B Black Aluminum Case
Case Cooler: Asetek VapoCHill Mission Critical Case Cooler
CPU Cooler: Asetek VapoChill LS CPU cooling system

$8,823.75 for the entire system.

DOn't worry about the SLI Premium being upside down, the case chiller will take care of it.

Eek :shock:

That would pawn pretty much anything.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually that memory won't work. $gigs on an AMD nForce4 board is still quirky and a wast eof money. Mainly because the computer will only use 3.7GB of it because of an addressing issue. My A8N-SLI Premium has some special extended addressing for 4GB+ of memory but I don't know if any of th others do.

Second, 1GB modules have crappy latencies. And on AMD platforms the lowest latency you can get off of a 1GB module is 2.5-3-3-6.

I would change the 4GB of memory to 2GB of
TWINX1024-3200XL. That's 4 512MB sticks running 2-2-2-5.

If your overclocking for even more performance (not like you would have to for a WHILE) get the TWINX1024-4400C25. The latencies are 2.5-4-4-8, but at a slight voltage and latency bump you can hit 296Mhz for obscene performance or just run it at 250Mhz to ensure maximum stability.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Moncton, NB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would stay away from Alienware. They used to manufacture some solid gaming machines when they were a fledgling company but the quality has dropped enormously since then. I know 14 people who I game with on a regular basis that have purchased an Alienware and they have had nothing but problems. Case in point, not even a year ago one of my clan mates purchased a $5000 rig from them and from what I can remember now ( I don't have the specs off hand but it was running at least a 3 gig cpu, 1 gig ram and had a top of the line gforce vid card..this thing was supposedly built for high end FPS games.) I run an AMD XP 2400+, a Saphirre Radeon 9500 pro, 512 mb ram and a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card for my gaming rig and I remember his being at least double the machine mine was, yet he couldn't even run Battlefield Vietnam on low! He still has trouble with it playing boyfriend 2, COD and World of Warcraft whereas mine can run all these games (albiet on low settings) without any noticable problems. More problems started happening that shouldn't have and he ended up contacting Alienware who basically gave him the brush off. He is well off so wrote the experience off, will never deal with Alienware again and built a new PC for gaming that cost have the amount the Alienware rig that has been ripped apart and gathering dust in his closet did. Of course there are people out there who have had nothing but good experiences but with the amount of bad things I have heard within gaming community that I am a part of has made me not want one of those Alienware machines.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want overkill go with a Tyan Quad Processor mother board with Dual Core opterons.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried running a video game on Windows Server 2003 Advanced
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or 16 procs :)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The point is that Windows XP Pro supports 2 cpu's at most. Windows Server 2003 Enterprise only supports 4 processors. Windows Server 2003 Advanced supports like 8 or 16. But running a game on Server 2003 isn't going to be easy and might not even play very well, no matter how much power you have.

Right now for gaming, I would stick with single core and go with SLI'd 7800GTX's.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last time I checked there isn't an Advanced version of 2003 server. After Enterprise there is Datacenter and you just can't go out and buy Datacenter.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2 ... tions.mspx
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

has anyone heard of the dual core graphics card I was talking about? I think its the 6800 Ultra?? I need to find some decent reviews on it

Thanks, Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
The last time I checked there isn't an Advanced version of 2003 server. After Enterprise there is Datacenter and you just can't go out and buy Datacenter.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2 ... tions.mspx

Whoops your right, my bad.

Anti Default wrote:
has anyone heard of the dual core graphics card I was talking about? I think its the 6800 Ultra?? I need to find some decent reviews on it

Nope haven't heard of a dual core GPU. Heard of SLI'd GPU's that will work like a dual core.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-262-1.htm

This is a review on the Gigabyte dual core 6600. You will have to muddle through to see some benchmarks. However, this isn't anything new. VooDoo used dual GPU's on their cards, only if VooDoo was still around.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i looked at the quad processors, but the only had ap or built in grapics, i dont think they had the pci-e that we need [like air]
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pentium 166Mhz
64MB RDRAM
Onboard everything else
with a 15" LCD monitor <-- everyone seems to forget about monitors

i regon all your rigs are awesome but forget to mention monitors which plays an important role in GAMING :)

how about those new 4ms LCD monitors guys? they kick a$$ huh

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/0 ... tft/1.html
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found some reviews about it and whooahh its huge!!

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... cid=3&pg=1

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp ... CIID=23377

Feast your eyes on that... it would blow games away!!!

Adam

P.S this quad motherboard how much ££ and were from :)
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to my "CustomPC" magazine this computer has the best parts upto date with a 5 star rating for gaming. So maybe we should just go off the parts from there even though I still think he needs 4 processers :P

:shock::arrow: ...... http://www.armari.com/system.asp?SysID=366

Adam :D :lol:
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL since Im not going to be on my pc for another 2 days I am just putting down lots of my questions just so you guys can have a good discussion. Could somebody also point out a good monitor?? Im not sure whether to get a TFT monitor or stick with a new CRT?? I have heard lots of different opinions about each type of monitor so I am very unsure of what to get.

Could somebody with alot of experience in gaming please point me in the right direction for a good gaming monitor

Thanks, Adam

P.S Have Fun debating people I wnat to see atleast 30 new replies lol in 2 days but NO SPAM hate spam unless it s a spam section :P
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

those 4 ms monitors are just grey to grey, for color responses, they are most likely 12-20 ms
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure if this is fact or fiction, but in regards to monitors, i think CRT monitors are still the way to go for Gaming.

But i could most certainly be wrong on that one.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 76 posts