What is the ULTIMATE gaming computer?

• Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Manchester, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi i'm abit of a noob at computers but I was looking around for good forums about hardware etc and future hardware and I loved the reviews etc that people gave so I decided to register. i'm a big fanatic top of the line computers I know it sounds bitter but I always like to have a better computer than anyone else (not to brag/boast about it, Just so I know :oops: :roll: ) anyway I want to see lots of opinions no matter what they are of the ULTIMATE GAMING RIG!

Thanks Adam
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

theyre the ones that you build
no alienware, dell, compaq, duck excrement
but one that you but time and effort into.

off the top of my head,

motherboard
processors (2x)
thats for the os install. you can put up to 4 gigs of ram on it and use it as a os install drive this is the url for the benchmarks for it
the ram, well be getting 16 of these
plus the ram for the ram disk.

raid controller
2 of these in raid 0 for games and apps and such
and then 2 of these in raid 0 for other material such as music videos, documents and such
this would eb the power supply
and 2 of these babies

and all of this would come together in some sort of liquid nitrogen cooling/immersion system

i didnt bother witht the price because i was too lazy.
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol that looks like one hell of a machine. i'm loving the Nitrogen theory :lol:

But would the dual opteron processer be any good for gaming??

Thanks Adam

P.S This Gaming machine can be the ULTIMATE OK!! so your aloud 16GB of DDR2 ram!!!
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

You do not need that. You want more of a home computer.

Either:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
DFI LanParty nF4 Ultra SLI-DR

Either:
AMD Athlon 64 FX59 (or FX57 if you don't want to wait)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (4800+ if you don't want to wait)

And everything else: The same as he said.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the aforementioned[ the one i "made up" ]comes with 32 gbs of ram
besides, neither of the aforementioned motherboards support more than 4 gigs of ram. thats a womans ram amount!
we need overkill, and then some!
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

and screw a home computer, he wants the ultimate computer!!!!
thats 2 dual core processors running at around 2 ghz, meaning alltogether, around 8 ghz of processing power.
you will not have any, i repeat, any lag, in any game, for at least the next year [lol] [it'd be much longer, you get the point]

ps, cute dog
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is nothing wrong with buying a pre-built gaming PC as long as you take your time and look into the options avaliable to you.

I would have to agree with 4ss_munk3y in saying dont go with Dell, Compaq / HP or one of the other hight street mass PC producing companies, look around.

Alienware do some great gaming PC's, these are also upgradable [ unlike DELL etc ] so you don't have to buy a completly new PC each year.

Alienware are well known to make good gaming PC's [ they also make rubbish ones that cost too much so you still have to be carefull ]. Along side Alienware there is Holly [ http://www.hollycomputers.co.uk ], Voodoo [ http://www.voodoopc.com ] and Scan[ http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ ] make some pretty decent gaming PC's aswell.

All systems are fully customisable on the websites and most are well priced and not worth ignoring unless you have your heart set on building your own.

Building your own will be cheaper [ you won't be paying for build time and other hidden charges ] but you will get customer service and if your not sure on building PC's, thats always helpfull.

Either way its up to you, both will give a great gaming PC. Just thought I would give my two cents.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

All a really good gaming PC needs is:

1. Very good Cooling
2. High End Video Card
3. High End Proc (you could possibly skimp on this one a little)
4. Fast Hard Drive (10,000RPM or higher)
5. Lots of fast RAM

Most of the crap that is out there now like dual core and 64 bit stuff isn't really going to help you much in gaming unless your game can take advantage of utilizing more than one core or processor. 64 bit won't come into play till they make 64 bit games.

Unless you are a show off and have money to just throw away you don't need most of it.

Falcon Northwest also makes some impressive (expensive) custom PC's.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

try http://www.savrow.com they have some ultimate gaming pc's.
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Grinch You sound like the type of person who knows what hes talking about. Do you think you could explain in more detail please the exact parts you would buy from what case and PSU down to the fans etc.. every little detail.

Please guys instead of just saying oh X2 will be crap for gaming. That tells me what NOT to buy I want to know WHAT to buy please. lol

I was looking to buy an AMD athlon dual core 64 X2 4800+ CPU but I need to know things like this whether or not they will be good for gaming etc..

Thanks and lets getsome in depth replies going lol. If you have got the time. It will be well appreciated. also consider whether to wait for the new X2 dual core 5000+ and the M2 board?

Adam
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry for double posting but just thourght of something. Has there been any reviews of the new EN 6800 ultra 256md Dual core Graphics card!! :) It looks sweet???

Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego core
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Memory: 2x Corsair XMS 2GB TWINX2048-3200C2PRO (total of 4GB memory)
Video Cards: 2x BFG Geforce 7800GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E x16
Hard Drives: 4x WD Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10k RPM SATA150 HDD
Hard Drives: 2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD
Optical Drives: 2x Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVD+-RW DL
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI SLI 850W PSU
Sound Card: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Case: Lian Li V-2100B Black Aluminum Case
Case Cooler: Asetek VapoCHill Mission Critical Case Cooler
CPU Cooler: Asetek VapoChill LS CPU cooling system

$8,823.75 for the entire system.

DOn't worry about the SLI Premium being upside down, the case chiller will take care of it.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 San Diego core
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Premium
Memory: 2x Corsair XMS 2GB TWINX2048-3200C2PRO (total of 4GB memory)
Video Cards: 2x BFG Geforce 7800GTX OC 256MB GDDR3 PCI-E x16
Hard Drives: 4x WD Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10k RPM SATA150 HDD
Hard Drives: 2x HITACHI Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s HDD
Optical Drives: 2x Plextor PX-716SA SATA DVD+-RW DL
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 850 SSI SLI 850W PSU
Sound Card: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro
Case: Lian Li V-2100B Black Aluminum Case
Case Cooler: Asetek VapoCHill Mission Critical Case Cooler
CPU Cooler: Asetek VapoChill LS CPU cooling system

$8,823.75 for the entire system.

DOn't worry about the SLI Premium being upside down, the case chiller will take care of it.

Eek :shock:

That would pawn pretty much anything.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually that memory won't work. $gigs on an AMD nForce4 board is still quirky and a wast eof money. Mainly because the computer will only use 3.7GB of it because of an addressing issue. My A8N-SLI Premium has some special extended addressing for 4GB+ of memory but I don't know if any of th others do.

Second, 1GB modules have crappy latencies. And on AMD platforms the lowest latency you can get off of a 1GB module is 2.5-3-3-6.

I would change the 4GB of memory to 2GB of
TWINX1024-3200XL. That's 4 512MB sticks running 2-2-2-5.

If your overclocking for even more performance (not like you would have to for a WHILE) get the TWINX1024-4400C25. The latencies are 2.5-4-4-8, but at a slight voltage and latency bump you can hit 296Mhz for obscene performance or just run it at 250Mhz to ensure maximum stability.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Moncton, NB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would stay away from Alienware. They used to manufacture some solid gaming machines when they were a fledgling company but the quality has dropped enormously since then. I know 14 people who I game with on a regular basis that have purchased an Alienware and they have had nothing but problems. Case in point, not even a year ago one of my clan mates purchased a $5000 rig from them and from what I can remember now ( I don't have the specs off hand but it was running at least a 3 gig cpu, 1 gig ram and had a top of the line gforce vid card..this thing was supposedly built for high end FPS games.) I run an AMD XP 2400+, a Saphirre Radeon 9500 pro, 512 mb ram and a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card for my gaming rig and I remember his being at least double the machine mine was, yet he couldn't even run Battlefield Vietnam on low! He still has trouble with it playing boyfriend 2, COD and World of Warcraft whereas mine can run all these games (albiet on low settings) without any noticable problems. More problems started happening that shouldn't have and he ended up contacting Alienware who basically gave him the brush off. He is well off so wrote the experience off, will never deal with Alienware again and built a new PC for gaming that cost have the amount the Alienware rig that has been ripped apart and gathering dust in his closet did. Of course there are people out there who have had nothing but good experiences but with the amount of bad things I have heard within gaming community that I am a part of has made me not want one of those Alienware machines.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want overkill go with a Tyan Quad Processor mother board with Dual Core opterons.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried running a video game on Windows Server 2003 Advanced
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Or 16 procs :)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The point is that Windows XP Pro supports 2 cpu's at most. Windows Server 2003 Enterprise only supports 4 processors. Windows Server 2003 Advanced supports like 8 or 16. But running a game on Server 2003 isn't going to be easy and might not even play very well, no matter how much power you have.

Right now for gaming, I would stick with single core and go with SLI'd 7800GTX's.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last time I checked there isn't an Advanced version of 2003 server. After Enterprise there is Datacenter and you just can't go out and buy Datacenter.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2 ... tions.mspx
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

has anyone heard of the dual core graphics card I was talking about? I think its the 6800 Ultra?? I need to find some decent reviews on it

Thanks, Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
The last time I checked there isn't an Advanced version of 2003 server. After Enterprise there is Datacenter and you just can't go out and buy Datacenter.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2 ... tions.mspx

Whoops your right, my bad.

Anti Default wrote:
has anyone heard of the dual core graphics card I was talking about? I think its the 6800 Ultra?? I need to find some decent reviews on it

Nope haven't heard of a dual core GPU. Heard of SLI'd GPU's that will work like a dual core.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-262-1.htm

This is a review on the Gigabyte dual core 6600. You will have to muddle through to see some benchmarks. However, this isn't anything new. VooDoo used dual GPU's on their cards, only if VooDoo was still around.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

i looked at the quad processors, but the only had ap or built in grapics, i dont think they had the pci-e that we need [like air]
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pentium 166Mhz
64MB RDRAM
Onboard everything else
with a 15" LCD monitor <-- everyone seems to forget about monitors

i regon all your rigs are awesome but forget to mention monitors which plays an important role in GAMING :)

how about those new 4ms LCD monitors guys? they kick a$$ huh

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/0 ... tft/1.html
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found some reviews about it and whooahh its huge!!

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... cid=3&pg=1

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp ... CIID=23377

Feast your eyes on that... it would blow games away!!!

Adam

P.S this quad motherboard how much ££ and were from :)
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to my "CustomPC" magazine this computer has the best parts upto date with a 5 star rating for gaming. So maybe we should just go off the parts from there even though I still think he needs 4 processers :P

:shock::arrow: ...... http://www.armari.com/system.asp?SysID=366

Adam :D :lol:
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL since Im not going to be on my pc for another 2 days I am just putting down lots of my questions just so you guys can have a good discussion. Could somebody also point out a good monitor?? Im not sure whether to get a TFT monitor or stick with a new CRT?? I have heard lots of different opinions about each type of monitor so I am very unsure of what to get.

Could somebody with alot of experience in gaming please point me in the right direction for a good gaming monitor

Thanks, Adam

P.S Have Fun debating people I wnat to see atleast 30 new replies lol in 2 days but NO SPAM hate spam unless it s a spam section :P
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

those 4 ms monitors are just grey to grey, for color responses, they are most likely 12-20 ms
  • WaxMelts
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • WaxMelts

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure if this is fact or fiction, but in regards to monitors, i think CRT monitors are still the way to go for Gaming.

But i could most certainly be wrong on that one.
  • manuleka
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: NZ, Wellington

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'd suggest LCD, better for your eyes and saves space! and 4ms ones should be pretty damn good for gaming :)
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

some will argue both sides of the lcd, crt mess

right about now in space and time and technological advancement, it doesnt really matter, lcds are cheap, space saving and certainly can match up to crts in all aspects, if you spend a *plum* load on them
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was always a big proponent of CRT monitors mainly because of speed, color accuracy, resolution and refresh rate. Problem is, support and advancement of CRT's is yesterdays news. Manufacturers no longer develop better CRT's and they make them only for "budget" systems.

As much as LCD's have advanced throughout the years from when I last gave enough of a horses rear to do a lot of research on the subject I can't really complain about LCD's anylonger except for some little pet peeves which annoy the crap out of me:
1.) Dot Pitch: I've seen ones range from .29 to .24 - CRT's have reached .20
2.) Resolution: I've seen 1600x1200 but nothing really higher
3.) Refresh rate: Higer resolutions now for LCD's but at 60hz, CRT's can do 85hz
4.) Need 8 or more dead pixels to return - that's bullcrap, I buy something brand new for it to be perfect, I will not stand for anything less. 1 dead pixel is 1 dead pixel too many. I didn't just shell out $500 for something that only works 99%. In my book thats a monumental waste of money.

Also, DVI is not digital. It's still analog. But, it should be. Your video card is the DA converter. If we go to pure digital video on computers, there would be no need to have the video card in the computer. It would be inside the monitor.

I would love to have an LCD when they make one that has .20mm pitch, 1600x1200 @ 85Hz+ (100+ would be nice), 24" in size and when they get there heads out of their rectums about the dead pixel policy I may pay $750 for one. Untill then, my CRT's work just fine and I won't replace them until they die and only with something that meets or exceeds there current abilities - I won't downgrade.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/ ... 97/details
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is what it looks like if anyone wondered:
http://www.aurora.se/iiyama/iiyama-prol ... 611dbk.htm

Costs more than my truck :shock:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

7k?
and its discontinued
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

My truck was bought for 5500 USD so yes it costs more than my truck.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats not bad, but the latter is bad.

a monitor costing more than a vehicle? disgusting!
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thourght only 16ms and lower is good for gaming. and that one has 50ms........ ? im confused lol

Im still not sure on a monitor because I have heard about the TFT only being 99% right. sometimes there can be a couple of pixels missing and your eyes will focus on that one spot lol

Grrrrrr why can there be an answer to all this. Im thinking of building a gaming Rig maybe just after christmas thats just to help with finding parts that might be out of date by then lol

Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only does 1600x1200 @ 60hz. And anything higher the refresh goes down to 20Hz! That's bad. Obscenely expensive, and wtf is with this?
Quote:
* 3840 x 2400 (960 x 2400 x 4 / 40,9 Hz)(ch1, ch2, ch3, ch4)
* 3840 x 2400 (1920 x 2400 x 2 / 20 Hz)(ch1, ch2)

But then it says:
Quote:
3840 * 2400 @ 75Hz

The response time is crap. and they have this:
Quote:
0,1245 mm * 0,1245 mm
for the dot pitch. Which means its actually .249mm which is nothing to rave about.

It's misinformation hyped up to show off a substandard monitor. No wonder its discontinued, the probably sold 3 of them and had all 3 returned.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

its a 9 million pixel monitor desgined for high resolution tasks that dont require great response times
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

The *affordable* LCD monitors just don't cut it for competitive gaming. The ghosting is way too much for me, it distracts and detracts from gameplay. I will stick with a nice big ole' CRT until the prices of decent LCD monitors decide to come down to earth.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.necdisplay.com/products/Prod ... fication=1
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not worth the price tag in my opinion but that is me. I can't stand to spend so much money on something I just stare at for a few hours a day. I guess that is why I don't own a big screen TV yet.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it's not worth the price tag, it's ridiculously overpriced. Just like Audi.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001149
that is a nice 21" at a decent price.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this and I love it. Never had a single issue with it and it is going on 3 years old. I am not a gamer though so things like dot pitch and max reolution don't concern me but I liked the monitor and it was recommended by a couple of my friends so I bought it.
  • SubZero
  • SubZero

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you want the ultimate gaming product i suggest u make one, with these parts

Sony Floppy Drive 3,5 1,44mb black floppy drive internal

EPoX EP 9NPAJ nFroce4 Socket939 ATX, 4xSATA/ATA, GbLAN, DDR, PCI-Ex16

Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160gb Sata2 8mb 7200RPM NCQ

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 Memory 184-P (for PC400MHZ)

AM Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz Socket 939, 1MB, Boxed w/fan

Club3D Radeon X850XT PE 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express, Dual DVI, VGA, Tv-Out, Retail

Cooler Master Cavalier3 Black (without PSU)

Antec NEO480 GB 480 Watt PSU

Pioneer DVDRW Dual Layer DVR 109/B black OEM

Think i've covered it all there :)

BTW, with this setup, you have the FASTEST CPU AND VIDEOCARD for gaming, PERIOD
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The FX-57 is clocked at 2.8Ghz compared to the FX-55's 2.6Ghz.

Also, the Western Digital Raptor would be better as a primary drive as it has faster access times.

The GeForce 7 Series would also be better than the X850.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I find it strange that for a "gaming" PC, people are recommending HUGE hard drives. If all your using it for is gaming then why not go with a smaller faster hard drive such as the raptor or a scsi.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some game sizes are getting out of control.

Personally I would not go with a raptor until WD makes the second generation one available. Second, when they replace a defective drive now, they give you a refurbished part. That's BS. I absolutely REFUSE to allow any refurbish or sub-par parts into my system.
I pay a lot of money and I will only give my business to companies that respect me and my systems. I had to replace a hitachi drive and they *asked* me first if it was okay that they give me a refurbished drive and I said, "Absolutely not, I prefer a brand new oem drive." They had no problem and sent me the drive, brand spanking new.
If I bought a refurbished drive and it broke under wrranty, sure give me a refurbished drive. But when I pay for brand new and your company is at fault when it fails, I expect a brand new drive. Wasn't my fault that it failed, I shouldn't get any less than what I paid for.
  • brasky
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

A smaller drive for gaming is indeed the best idea. I am building a rig and tweaking it for gaming right now and I tell you it is a great way to learn. 2 gig ram, 40 gig HD, PCI express (dual preferred) and a fast CPU are "must haves" and if you can, through a decent sound card into the mix!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree that game sizes are getting quite big but it still doesn't call for a 200GB hard drive. When I did play PC games I would have one maybe two installed at a time. Once I was done with the game I uninstalled it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use my machine for more than just games, besides when I do finally get some 10k rpm drives they will be smaller.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't say I go for big HDD's. Prefer small capacity drives myself but thats also because I dont do alot of gaming so therefore don't require large amounts of space.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only have a 250Gb Hdd. I have 54% free space on it. If I get less than 30% free space then I'll try to actively delete stuff I don't need. If that doesn't work I'll just get a second 250Gb.
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys what Do you think will be the sbest gaming hardware coming out in the near future around february next year maybe?? I have heard of a new socket for AMD the M2 and also The dual core graphics card will go into production I think :?:

Anyways let us know your facts about that

Thanks Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Asus has a dual core 7800GTX vid card comming out.

Amd has the socket M2 and maybe 4-core cpu's there was even talk about a dual-core FX series for the M2.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gigabyte already has a dual core card, someone posted about it here somewhere.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it was a Dual 6600 and didn't perform that great. A single 6800 beat it out.

Asus was going to go for a dual 6800 but then scratched it for a dual 7800GTX.
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cant wait for that....... will kick ass on BF2 especially with the nex expansion pack coming out soon :lol:

and anyone got any reviews of these dual core graphics cards and maybe the quad CPU's??

Adam
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cant wait for that....... will kick ass on BF2 especially with the nex expansion pack coming out soon :lol:

and anyone got any reviews of these dual core graphics cards and maybe the quad CPU's??

Adam
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

also guys out of the roadmap what do you think will be best for gaming. Im hoping one of the Dual cores will be instead of the FX?? Only because with Dual I can play a game whilst copying files or running virus checks etc.....

Adam
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thye aren't invented yet and are just ideas on paper (the quad-core anyway). The dual 7800GTX will be out in Q2 06 if I am not mistaken.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I posted about MaximumPC's dream machine that had Dual dual core procs. The benchmarks were actually dissappointing. It kicked ass in games but that was because of the dual 7800's in SLI mode. But goping back to the procs, it didn't handle multi-threaded apps very well since they weren't written for 4 processors, so it performed like a dual proc system. They did mention that they did not test the machine as a multitasking power user where the multiple cores would definitely be a benefit. I'm not jumping on the dual core bandwagon yet until software developers start writing code to take advantage of it.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

why hasnt anyone said "mine :)" ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
why hasnt anyone said "mine :)" ?

Cyrix 266 Mhz with 64mb of ddo and a 500 Mbyte ATA 33 Hard Drive? :lol:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

PWNAGE!!!!

:)
  • Anti Default
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im probably gonna wait till after xmas to see what AMD bring hopefully there new shipset wont be far after so Im gonna work my ass off and save up some cash :P

Adam
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, its gotta have a vapochill, but, the new Dual Core processors put too much strain on them when overclocked (the wattage of heat outputted is greater than a vapochill can dispearse, which is allot. 220Watt for the LS). Therefore i would have to go for a fat ass watercooling system pre chilled by a set of tecs? 227 watt each? (im hoping a power bill wont be an issue :P 4 x 227 watt tecs comes out at realistically 1.4kW.) Add a tripple fan radiator to cool the tecs. I would obviously choose a 4800 X2. Thats the processors sorted

I would have to have a pair of 7800GTXes in SLi. Water cooled of course.

3 74gb raptors in raid 3? with 2 quarlets of raid 0+1 the new Samsung PS120s? thats 1.14TB of storage. More than enough for a bit 8)

Add the 'imfamous' DFI Lan Party SLI-DR (only component that i have on this list). This simply kicks for overclocking. With the multiplyer down on my athlon 64 i can easily hit an FSB of 390Mhz.

2 x 1Gb sticks of the new G.Skill. Latencies of 2 3 3 6. These are ment to overclock very well for 2gb sticks, about 265Mhz. 12 *265 = 3.180Ghz on each core, finding a X2 that could do that would be tricky though so realistically you are looking at 3Ghz.

All of this wrapped in a modded coolermaster stacker.

XP for this system would be sacrilidge so i would go for Server 2003 Enterprise Edition :D

Only problem with this pc is, it would cost so much, and some of the parts arnt available for another month or two. Other than that i would love it...
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
XP for this system would be sacrilidge so i would go for Server 2003 Enterprise Edition :D

Isn't 2003 server really XP server?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No it isn't. 2003 is a solid stable OS that has way more functionality than XP but of course it is a server OS. I use it at my home running a Domain Controller, DNS and DHCP. It also functions as a file and print server. Try doing that with XP.

The only comment I have is that server OS's don't make for very good gaming systems and using SLI will probably be a waste of time since it may or may not support it.

Utilizing XP or even Vista will be a better option for gaming and using SLI.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

My PC runs server 2003 fine, and its SLied.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Duel Core CPUs are verry Powerfull but not as FAST as sungle cores and they are far more expensive and havent fully been utalized

if you ask me using dual core CPUs should be reserved for server use until they are more mainstream

my recomendation is this

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX 55 ClawHammer $800.00

Mobo: Asus K8N SLi Primo $176.00

Vid Card A: MSI NX7800GTX-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 $465.00
Vid Card B: MSI NX7800GTX-VT2D256E Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 $465.00

Ram:3X CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered [4 is to slow and makes issues happen :throwmonitor: ]

HDD A-B:2x Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150-raid 5[mirrored and striped] $185.00 EACH

HDD C-D:2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3200822AS 200GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive-raid 5[mirrored and striped] $115.00 each

DVD Burner: Plextor between $75.00 and $150.00

Cooling:GIGABYTE GH-WIU01 Liquid Cooling System $140.00

and it costs ya around.... 2500 bucks
then just choose a case and you are good to go
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys u might remember me being about when this post 1st came out well i thought sod dreaming about the machine and build it so ive set off here is my specs

asus a8n premium SLI
r-type 580w psu
amd fx 57
512 x2 patriot xblk ram
samsung spinpoint p120s (250gb) will have x4 in at the end
leadtek 7800gtx will have secound one next month for SLI
dvd rewritter toshiba sd-t5372-bk x2
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant quite understand that post but ok :?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

sod means the f-curse [i think] the rest i shall put throught the wacky british language translator and wait for results! this usually takes several hours as it processes the information at relatively the same speed asUNIVAC 1

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 76 posts