What type of hardware should I purchase?

• gaster
  • Born
  • Born
  • gaster
  • Loc: usa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey kids. I'm undertaking a project in the next month that will entail many months of VERY intensive animation and rendering, in flash, swift3d, and a third party video editor (most likely after effects). With my current setup, rendering long passages of 3d animation can bog down my computer for an hour, which when you're under the gun can be lethal to time and productivity. All this to say, I'm going to invest in a top-of the line pc. I understand that I'm going to have to drop a few (or several) grand to accomplish this. Can anyone give me some reccomendations? I'd prefer to stay with a brand that's easy to upgrade and understand (such as Dell). Can I anyone point me in the right direction? :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well firstly if you are going to run programs that are so graphically intense, the first thing to do would be to get an excellent graphics card, the best at the moment imo is the "geForce 8800-ULTRA" ... Then a serious processor would be a bad idea either ... Something like the Intel Core2Quad Q6600 which runs each core at 2.4GHz ... then for aftereffects I would suggest LOTS of RAM ... maybe 4Gig of DDR800 would do the trick ... Also serious rendering means serious disk space ... Maybe get a SATA-ii terabyte HDD, which should be enough, and if it isn't, just add another ... for editing graphics, I'd prefer a bigger screen, maybe a 21" or something like that ... or two even ...

I would rather build the PC myself than buy a pre set-up one from somewhere ... but that is just my opinion ...
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

For all of that rendering you are going to need some serious hardware.

All of the items mentioned above in righteous' post are excellent choices.

Just make sure you have a powerful videocard (512MB or more), a lot of memory (I recommend 4GB), a fair amount of hard drive space, and a good dual core processor will enable that rendering to be completed faster. The dual core mentioned above is a good choice.

I too recommend ordering the parts yourself and either putting it together yourself or having a friend do it. With a high end system like that, it will be pretty expensive.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merlyn wrote:
The dual core mentioned above is a good choice.

That's actually the Quad Core with each core running at 2.4GHz, so that gives you a total of 9.6GHz in total ...
Merlyn wrote:
Just make sure you have a powerful videocard (512MB or more)

Yes, that one I mentioned above is a 768MB card ... Now I realize that there are 1GB card avaliable, but this one is much more intellegent, and has greater core speeds, shader speeds, memory speeds, and supports DirectX10 and pixel-shader4, so it is a very great card ... Otherwize another good one is the 2900Pro which looks like a brilliant card aswell, and supports great resolutions ...
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, hehe. Well I don't think he would need a quad core. But the more would definitely be better. I just read it wrong sorry.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the quad core myself, and I know that Photoshop CS3 supports it, so there's almost no loading time involved ... I have got one, so I know, but yes, then quad core is very expensive, and it all depends on the budget that is avaliable ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts