What would be the best way to set this up?

• GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3
  • Loc: I live in Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. MPE-FT32 File Server Case: Supports 2 full size 12 slot Motherboards. Baby AT, full size AT, 12 slots, ATX, Intel Xpress, HP Netserver LM Model. Holds 32 5.25" drives, I plan on taking those out and putting in 3.5" drive bays, and it has 8 slots for power supplies(4 For each motherboard). Dual Hot Swappable 300/400W AT/ATX Redundant Power Supplies. Both power supplies share the load at 150/200W each but if one goes down, the other picks up the load at its full power of 300/400W. And if you wanted to know it is 26.4"Width x 20.3"Depth x 34.1" Height and weighs 164 pounds with the power supply.

I want to use 2 Tyan Thunder K8QS - S4880 Quad-Opteron Motherboards with 8 Dual-Core Opteron 275 Italy 1GHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache Socket 940 Processors.

My question to you wisened individuals is how would I set this up so that the processors work in unison?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Holy crap!!! Quite honestly, I have never dealt with quad procs let alone using 2 mobo's in one case. What in the hell are you using this for?
  • SubZero
  • SubZero

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol that would be quite funny although i'd suggest you are prepared to spend abit of cash and able to make them fit nicely :)

Or you'll end up like me, over clocking computers to the max lol. :P but i tryed doing it on purpose :) hehe

http://www.lomcn.co.uk/forum/attachment ... entid=5909
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a serious multitasker. I usually design websites, graphics, animations, and a little rendering so yea the more power i have the better.

and yes I know it'll be like $10K just for the processors(yes I intend to use 8). But who cares right, not AMD lol.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

woW! :shock: :shock:

u should host a gaming server or something...
  • Cheeseboy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Cheeseboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow nice do you have a picture of the case?
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the link to the stats for the case.
http://baber.com/baber/products/mpe_ft32.htm

This is the motherboard i'm going to be using.
http://www.amdboard.com/tyan_s4880_opteron_board.html

And This is the Processor i'm going to be using.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103551

I would host a game server if I actually played computer games. I've only played the first Doom on the PC and that's it, but i'm looking to play Elder Scrolls 4 when it comes out.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: This thing is gonna be a monster!!!
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking about this and talking with a friend about it. Your main problem is going to be the OS. Your average operating system won't recognize 8 procs unless you go with a Server edition. Windows 2003 Eneterprise and Datacenter edition support 8-way SMP, not sure if any Linux distros will use it.

Another thing is software compatibility. The average program won't be able to utilize 8 procs either. You will have some issues.

The friend I was talking to is a programmer and thinks this idea is nuts. He knows more about how programs work and he says this is all a waste of money. However, I do like the idea but not very practical.

The only thing I could think of is using processor affinity. You basically tell your programs which processor to use. I can't remember where you set this at but that is probably the only way you are going to get your money's worth out of the hardware. I wish you luck.
  • GeekSince3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • GeekSince3

Post 3+ Months Ago

What if I use 4 of the processors as main processors and use the other ones in a sort of cluster.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linux will. But at that point I would go FreeBSD. You can do what's called a beowulf cluster.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts