What is wrong with my laptop?

• shaX 07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • shaX 07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone recently dropped my laptop and I had major issues as a result. I took it to the MIS guys at my work and they said that the hard drive had crashed so I replaced it and it has been working OK ever since. I've recently had more issues with it. Sometimes it will freeze for a few minutes and eventually it catches up with itself and basically performs every click that I did while it was frozen. The MIS guys said I should replace the RAM (because when we opened it up the RAM was sticking upward and not laying flat).

I replaced the 2 512MB sticks of RAM with 2 - 1 GB sticks of RAM, and it definately seems faster but ever since i put in the new RAM it has been freezing like crazy (i'll open IE and it will freeze for 5 minutes, i'll close IE and open something else and it freezes again).

What could this issue be? Could there be additional hardware damage that would cause this freezing phenomenon?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Chances are there was mother board damage. Don't throw good money after bad. Use the money towards another one.
  • shaX 07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • shaX 07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Chances are there was mother board damage. Don't throw good money after bad. Use the money towards another one.

I sure hope that I don't have to replace this thing. I spent $1,000 on this beast 2 years ago... It's an HP Pavilion DV-9000, AMD Turion Dual 1.6 GHZ Processors, 2GB Ram (brand new), 250 GB Hard drive (brand new), dvd burner, 17" widescreen... Please tell me there's another way!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's go back to the memory thing. Are you 100% sure that you bought the correct memory?

http://www.memory-up.com/Memory/HPPavil ... s3692.html

Those are the memory specs. ^^

Look at the event viewer for errors. Start, run, eventvwr.msc

How hard did the laptop hit the ground? Did it hit flat or on one of the edges or corner? Was it in the case?
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

If is is the motherboard, you could probably pick one up on ebay.
  • shaX 07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • shaX 07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Let's go back to the memory thing. Are you 100% sure that you bought the correct memory?

http://www.memory-up.com/Memory/HPPavil ... s3692.html

Those are the memory specs. ^^

Look at the event viewer for errors. Start, run, eventvwr.msc

How hard did the laptop hit the ground? Did it hit flat or on one of the edges or corner? Was it in the case?

It actually was not dropped, it was more of a downward fist pound on the center while the laptop was open...

and I am 100% positive it is the right RAM, I found the part # online and searched for it that way and the computer recognizes the RAM and I can surely tell the difference in multi-tasking capabilities between having 1GB and now having 2 GB of RAM...

and for some reason, last night I was using it and it was working fine for a couple hours. It seems to do this on and off (it will work fine for a few days, then it will start doing the freezing thing for a period of time).
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then set the virtual memory to system configured or whatever it is. Many people upgrade the memory and don't change the virtual memory settings to match.
  • shaX 07
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • shaX 07

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Then set the virtual memory to system configured or whatever it is. Many people upgrade the memory and don't change the virtual memory settings to match.

How do I do this?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Control panel, system properties, advanced, performance settings, virtual memory, change, let windows decide.....
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Honestly in terms of IE freezing I would check one thing. If you have the Google toolbar installed, uninstall it. I have had it crash IE on multiple computers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts