• Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

PacBell
$30
I give 'em a 9
Beats the hell out of Verizion. At least my service stays up in the rain. On the East coast everytime it rained my service would go out. When I moved out west I did'nt even consider them.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast
$45 USD
My only other option is Verizon, they are cheaper but slower. Now if FIOS shows up I will switch to Verizon in a heartbeat.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast
$0 (paid by other household members, $40 I think)
9 (I work nights mostly and they do all thier upgrades late night so sometimes I lose connection, but I guess that is when it effects the least amount of people.)
No other high speed options in my neighbor hood.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast
about $60/mo
About a 2
Only othere option for me is dialup, so there's really no comparison.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Time Warner/Road Runner
$45
Faster than SBC DSL and I have no use for a landline phone
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast Professional Cable
I pay $75/mo. But I have the 6MBit service. I used to have two 6MBit modems, and pay $120/Mo. But I got rid of the dual-wan router, and to tell the truth I really don't see much of a difference, except when my FreeBSD systems are CVSing.

I give it a 6. I used to have Dual ISDN, that was too much $$ and was slower than cable. DSL sucks, will never use it. Dialup is too slow. My work reimburses me for my home internet because I use it to work from home when there is bad weather, or I just don't feel like coming into the office. So really I don't pay for the service and I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

However I do have to say, without a doubt. Comcast is fast as hell. I was downloading the latest build of Gentoo linux iso's at about 700-800Kbit/s. I remember waiting DAYS to download an ISO. Now I go get coffee and its freaking DONE! I LOVE IT. I love bandwidth, its so choice, if you have the means I highly reccomend picking some up.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cox Cable.
$40???? per month (roommate pays it)
Wicked fast, I usually get more than 1mb/sec on any respectable download server. Close to 6mb/sec from gamespy. Even though my ip address CAN change, it hasn't in the 8 months since I got it. And they have like zero downtime.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Comcast Cable
$40
Verizon is too slow and we have basic cable with comcast so the internet gets a discount
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
... and I have no use for a landline phone

What's a landline phone? I haven't had one of those for close to six years.

For the record I'm on Comcast like many others --same price etc. Rating? can't say. I have no comparison. But I'm happy with the service and tech support, although I usually solve my connection problems before they do. Overall, if I had to choose maybe a 7.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Qwest DSL
$30
Rating - 9

looking in to a Qwest T1
Price - $150
Rating - 10
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

time warner
50$
fast as hell...ish so 7
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE wrote:
Qwest DSL
$30
Rating - 9

looking in to a Qwest T1
Price - $150
Rating - 10

Getting a T1, man you got money to waste.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE always talks as if he has money to flush down the toilet. I'm not saying he doesn't, but it sure does look suspicious.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ishii wrote:
XDUDE always talks as if he has money to flush down the toilet. I'm not saying he doesn't, but it sure does look suspicious.

Yea I have noticed that too.
  • 5k1LLz
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • 5k1LLz

Post 3+ Months Ago

MCDI
$120 a year
Cheap plain old dailup.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bgnn32 wrote:
Ishii wrote:

I work very hard for my money......topic asked about my ISP and i gave an answer....Get it?
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE wrote:
Bgnn32 wrote:
Ishii wrote:

I work very hard for my money......topic asked about my ISP and i gave an answer....Get it?

Yea sure whatever. In my experience the ones that brag the most about what they spend really don't have it, and you have been doing some major bragging which leads me to think you really don't have what you want us to think you do. but whatever I don't care if you do or don't but getting T1 for a home connection is totally a complete waste of money, you will not see enough of a performance increase to justify the cost. Unless you want people to think you have more money than brains.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Home based business... Not money to waste, money well spent on the business that just happens to help the home too.

I spend lots of money on perks that I can expense also. Yay capitalism!

That and its Tax Deductable! :twisted:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

A T1 for $150 is HOT. Back in the days before cable internet that kicked a T1's butt, I was an intern at this little internet .com company (which I hated with a passion) and the company paid $650 - $700 a month. Of course your only options back then were ISDN or Dial-up. Both expensive, both slow, neither worth it.

Today Cable and DSL prices and options for business completely slaughter the small telecom-based business internet providers who can only offer T1, T3, OC's, etc... (today you see them offering DSL, but with big kickbacks going to the telco).

As you can see, what you think of a T1 is no longer a T1. Its cheaper, faster, and 99.9% reliable. For $150, I salute you. When you don't have access to cable, and you need some reliable speed, thats the only way to go. Also, they have clauses that if your internet goes down, THEY PAY YOU for your loss of access. Cable and DSL do not do that.

So, in short, if you have the means - It's not a bad idea at all.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, but a T1 line is only 1.544 Mbps. I get 4 times the bandwith for a quarter of the price...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very True, that's what almost drove most of the small telecoms business IS out of business. However, given the speed of Cable and the lack of high-end features available in cable/DSL routers and other SOHO products I wouldn't run more than 30 people off of a Business Cable pipe.

Cable's speed might be high, but the performance drops proportionally with the number of other people on the node with respect to the amount of traffic they generate. T1 lines are usually very steady; you get a constant 1.5MBit as well as other features and availabilities not offered with cable. Some telecoms now offer free exchange mail services with the purchase of a T1 for a year (up to 50 accounts). Higher-end dedicated VPN and Web services also make a world of difference. Cheaper server colo's and everything else is mixed in to sweeten the package.

Bandwidth is cheap, and is normally no longer the deciding factor when choosing a T1 or higher. In the coming years you will see T1 and T3 die off in lieu of optical throttled internet lines run to businesses who will pay the premium. By practice today most businesses won't spend more than 20% of their yearly IT budget on internet connectivity. Depending on the business, 20% could purchase a lot.

As for me, I wouldn't get a T1 for my house. My company would never reimburse me enough to make that a feasible option. Second, I cut my bill because I got heat for the amount I was expensing. I still got the Pro cable because to do my job from home I need the ability to have a fast VPN tunnel to the company to have access to resources I use. With the pro cable in my area I get "preferred" routing and QOS, so my speed is generally similar throughout the day. I also keep the VPN alive 24/7 (with permission) so I can get my work E-mail 24/7. However that might change because they want to deploy blackberries (which I don't want).

I should also add that upstream with cable/DSL is severely limited with respect to the downstream. Businesses and homes requiring lots of upstream either need redundant Cable/DSL connections with load-balancing or need to move to something higher-end.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I was in college the school I went to had 2 T1 lines and they were paying $1000 each for them.

And yea T1 has advantages in large networks, but I doubt this kid has many computers at his home. and it is really rare to find a home based business with enough computers running to justify the cost of a T1, Cable is faster until you get too many computers on it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

A digital graphics studio with server farms, I can see the need for a T1.

People do different things in their houses. I have a lift in my garage. That's something very odd, and that people would think is over the top.

It gets its use, and I beat the crap out of it. I need the lift because I'm forever blowing motors and trannys. I have my cars, my friends cars (that sometimes stay there for days), my dad comes over because he's too cheap to pay some guy $100 to change the brakes on his car. I'm too stupid and stubborn to pay some guy $100 to change the brakes on my car.. My sister makes me fix every little thing wrong with her car.

Some people are crazy. He might need the upload speeds and doesn't want to pay for SDSL.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
A digital graphics studio with server farms, I can see the need for a T1.

People do different things in their houses. I have a lift in my garage. That's something very odd, and that people would think is over the top.

It gets its use, and I beat the crap out of it. I need the lift because I'm forever blowing motors and trannys. I have my cars, my friends cars (that sometimes stay there for days), my dad comes over because he's too cheap to pay some guy $100 to change the brakes on his car. I'm too stupid and stubborn to pay some guy $100 to change the brakes on my car.. My sister makes me fix every little thing wrong with her car.

Some people are crazy. He might need the upload speeds and doesn't want to pay for SDSL.

Nothing strange about having a lift in your garage many of my friends do.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Optimum Online
40-55?? my parents pay - in that range

-- up to 10mb/s DL
-- up to 1mb/s UL

a lot faster than DSL-- DSL feels like dial up.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 26 posts