Where does those wires from tower go?

• NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I building my own pc. I bought a CPU, MB and Tower case.

I put the cpu and motherbaord together with no problem. Hooked up some of the wires for power etc.

There is just a few wires coming from the front of the pc. I'm guessing some are from the 2USB port and sound.

labels on wires are +vcc(x2), +D(x2), -D(x2), and ground (x2) and the rest are: Return R, Return L, Spkout R, Spkout L, ground, mic Bias, and mic in.

The Motherboard is an ASUS P5GV-MX
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sound (speakers) is correct. If you have USB ports in the front, that is correct too. Mic is micraphone. The others should be the on/off and reset buttons.

Did a wiring diagram come with the mother board?
  • NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I figured out what were the USB cables. But the the other sets i dont know. Yes in front there is a mic and headphone plugin, but i'm sure those wires must be for that. But where to plug it on MB? I connected the reset and switch on/off (power) with no problem.

I only got an on board sound card at the moment. The only 2 area i can think for those audio wires is either the 10-1 pin AAFP (which has: port1 L, ground, port1 R, Presence#, Port2 R, Sense1_return, sense_send, port2 L, and sense2_return) those pins can also support Legacy AC97 (mic2_L, AGND, Mic2_R, Line out R, Line out L, and the rest is listed as NC). The other area is for a 4-1 pin SPDIF_out. (not enough pin).

I'm thinking it's the first area, but those labels are confusing.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You didn't answer the my question about a wiring diagram or schematic. If it wasn't included, try to get one from the manufacturer.
  • NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

not sure what u mean by diagram. there is a pic of the MB in the manual, a small one

top left ion green is the 10-1 pin AAFP connector.

here's a bigger pic of the almost same board: http://www.bgslevi.cz/image/AsusP5GVTMX.jpg
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

A pic of the board won't help. In the world of electronics, there is something called a schematic, also known as a wiring diagram. It looks something like a blueprint, except it shows the wiring instead of a floor plan. Contact the manufacturer of the board to see if one is available.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

The connectors you're talking about go on the bottom left corner (in the picture). The little black connector with multiple pins. You can start with the power ones and just try to guess where to put 'em, but having either a better-labeled board or like Don was saying, having the manual with the schematic.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The MOBO should have shipped with a manual that has the correct configuration for the connections. However if it did not log onto the Asus website and download the PDF manual for your MOBO. This will include a little drawing showing which pins controll which functions. Otherwise your gonna have fun guessing.

Good luck :)
  • NRJ
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found out where they go. Top left corner where the green is. But I have to ship the MB back, cause it is faulty. A professional looked at it and did some testing and told me it was faulty.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, after all that, the thing is no good. Unbelievable.
  • p0ntus
  • Born
  • Born
  • p0ntus

Post 3+ Months Ago

My question is almost exactly the same as this. I have an ASUS board and knowin general where my case audio connectors are supposed to go, but the names of the connectors do not match those from the board schematic in the manual.

NRJ mentioned the 10-1 pin AAFP which has, as labeled in the manual: bottom row from left: Mic2_L, Mic2_R, HP_R, Jack_Sense, HP_L, then top row from left: AGND(ground), PRESENCE#, Mic2_JD, blank, HP_HD. Those pins can also support Legacy AC97 (bottom: Mic2_L, Mic2_R, Line out_R, NC Line out_L, top: AGND, NC, NC, blank, NC).

My pins from my case audio are labeled Ground, Mic Power, Mic In, Ear L, Ear L, Ear R, and Ear R. Can anyone tell me the proper configuration for these connectors? I understand ground and I'm guessing the second of each Ear L and Ear R are grounds for the headphones, which would get input from the first of each Ear L and Ear R, but I'm not sure on which pins I should install each connector. Also, the Mic lines confuse me. The board schematic seems to say that there are two mic channels (L and R), but that doesn't make sense to me, being that there is only one mic input. Also, does Mic_JD mean mic power or what?

I don't understand why ASUS would label their schematic with these names since I haven't found anything else that explains these AAFP labels with standard or conventional names so that I'd know where to set my pins for the headphones/mic.
  • p0ntus
  • Born
  • Born
  • p0ntus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suddenly had the inspiration to look at a case/mobo schematic set from another manufacturer and I'm pretty sure I've figured out the setup. I'm still building the rig, so I won't find out until I can apply power and test the phones/mic. Anyway, the 7 pin case audio setup is like this (I think):

top: 6 7 8 9 10
bottom: 1 2 3 4 5

1. Mic2_L = Mic In
2. Mic2_R = Mic Power
3. HP_R = Ear R (Line out R)
4. Jack Sense (not used)
5. HP_L = Ear L (Line out L)
6. Ground
7. PRESENCE# (not used)
8. Mic2_JD = Ear R (return)
9. blank (not used)
10. HP_HD = Ear L (return)

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to tell which Ear R and Ear L were the line out and which were the return. I guessed by the color of the wires which were green and brown for Ear R and orange and black for Ear L. I figured the darker of each pair was the return. We'll see. Hopefully it doesn't fry my headphones or somehow damage the board, though I don't see how that would be possible.

Anyway, I'll post the accuracy of this when I'm able to test. Until then, let me know if you have any additional insight.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could always go to the Motherboard manufacturer's website and download the needed information. Usually as a specifications.pdf or manual.pdf or something.

I've always been able to find the motherboard's correct pin placement in the online manual. (Except for an MSI Motherboard once, but I was able to use an older model to figure it out).
  • p0ntus
  • Born
  • Born
  • p0ntus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I also, unfortunately, have a faulty motherboard (bad IDE controller). So, no testing was possible at this time. :(

I didn't think the online specs/manual would be different than the printed version, so I didn't check it. Thanks for the idea.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts