Which cpu should i get??

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm thinking about building a new computer but not sure which cpu to get. I'll be using it for mainly school work, graphic design, webpage design, various program usage, and very few gaming (warcraft and counterstrike).

Here are my three options i'm looking at.
- P4 650 3.4Ghz LGA775
- P4 3.4Ghz Prescott
- P4 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition

Which one would you guys recommend and why? Thanks for the input.
Not quite sure on the difference.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Intel P4 EE and Prescott are based on the same core's so act in a similar fashion. That said, the P4 EE can also be a Northwood core.

In light of what you have said, personally I would go for the P4 650 as it uses Intels new LGA775 chipset which is great for apps. Seeing as thats what your mainly going to be doing, it is probably more suited to your needs. See here for more info on LGA775.

P4 650 Spec
P4 EE Spec - Prescott & Northwood
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

did i read it right, but the LGA775 has 64-bit like the AMD 64 processors? or is it 64 bit something else?
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

after reading up about the LGA775 P4 650..i think i'm probably gonna get it.

Now what motherboard would you recommend? I've been looking at the asus P5P800 and it has all the specification that i like such as the gigibit lan, the up to 4G ram, and etc.

http://www.unitedmicro.com/mbw.cgi?146233828

what do you think of this board or is there a better board out there?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Only intel itanium processors are 64bit. But the LGA775 may have a 64-bit wide bus (not sure on that, didn't read the article).

I'm an AMD and Asus kinda guy, but if you go Intel chip, your better off going Intel board. I love Asus, but they are better suited to making AMD boards than intel boards. Processor speed has almost reached its max with our current conductors. Also, proc speed isn't the bottleneck anymore. This day in age you'd be better off going for the higher end board and a mid-range chip than going high-end chip and mid-range board.

The top of the line for P4's is the Intel BOXD925XECV2LK, couple that even with a 3.0Ghz proc and see performance over even an EE with a lesser board. The ultra-huge cache is just and end-run around lack of registers. Proc speed is just an end run around lack of bus width between the north/southbridge and the proc/memory.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
The top of the line for P4's is the Intel BOXD925XECV2LK, couple that even with a 3.0Ghz proc and see performance over even an EE with a lesser board. The ultra-huge cache is just and end-run around lack of registers. Proc speed is just an end run around lack of bus width between the north/southbridge and the proc/memory.

Can you put that into simplier terms...that didn't really make sense. :(
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Think of this way, you can be the tazmanian devil with a sand box shovel and still not move as much dirt (data) as a backhoe.

Now with unlimited funds and patience that spans 3-4 months, you can probably do a Intel 840 EE dual-core processor with the Intell 955 chipset.

But for the budget conscious yet sanity-challenged person without patience, go with the Intel 925XEC LGA775 motherboard.

The board is expensive (About $200), but you wont be dissapointed. And Intel has Customer Service second to none.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds good an all...but now i don't have a pci-e graphics card. Before i didn't think i wanted one because i heard bad things about it.

What do you guys think about the agp vs. pci-e?

and what pci-e would you recommend?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I love AGP... But PCI-E is the way to go. Especially if your going for a bleeding edge system.

As for what kind of card, I am very biased. Since the time I built my first system which was an AMD K5 I have learned to despise ATI because the drivers are buggy, the support blows, and the graphics don't hold a candle to Nvidia. Now I know people will disagree with me and call me an Nvidiot. But I have never had a problem, and I'm sure there is a very select few that have been lucky enough to not have any problem with an ATI card.

But I would go for an Nvidia, a 6800GT Ultra would work for ya, or you can go for the SLI with two video cards.

It all depends how crazy you are and how much your budget furthers your insanity. I am completely insane, and I have a budget that would get me into a lot of trouble if I didn't have this big ball chained to my leg.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

well like i said before...i just need a graphics card that can handle dual monitors while not slowing down with multiple application. And just good enough graphics to play warcraft III ROC. Other than that, i'm mainly use it for multiple program tasking.

so which pci-e card?

budget is around $150 and less
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

For just under $150, you can probably snag a nVidia 6600 256MB card with a D-Sub, DVI, and S-Video.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok this is what i have so far.

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 650 3.4Ghz LGA775 - $413.00

Motherboard - Intel D925XCV - $200
or Intel D925XEC - $210

RAM - GeIL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 533 (PC2 4300) - $109.93

Graphics Card - GeForce 6600GT (PcI-Express) (128mb or 256mb) - $120
or ATI RX700

Hard Drive - 80G - $60

Dvd Burner - $60

Dvd-rom - $20

Case - Clear Acrylic Transparent Case - $67

Not sure on motherboard and the graphics card yet. And don't laugh at my case...i've always wanted it :D . I don't need a big hard drive because i'll be having a server shortly also with 800G of space.

Tell me what you think or of any suggestions you would change.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Only intel itanium processors are 64bit. But the LGA775 may have a 64-bit wide bus (not sure on that, didn't read the article).

The Intel P4 6xx series is Intels new 64Bit Desktop CPU range. Granted its just EMT64 but basically their answer to the AMD 64 series. Thing is, both have now stepped it up a notch with the release of the Dual Core Desktop CPU's [ Intel 850 and the AMD 64 X2 ].

At £800 for the Intel and £686 for the AMD, neither are currently cheap [ although technically you are getting two CPU's so thats almost right ] but both do kick ass !

If you can wait a few months, both to save like mad and to give the prices time to drop, I would recommend looking into one of these beauties.

As for your components:

CPU - Fine
Mobo - Those boards look fine, I personally like the DFI Lanparty board & it has been given some great reviews. Has an excellent spec for the price aswell.
RAM - Fine
GPU - Go with the 6600GT [ I`m an ATI person myself, but to be honest, the GeForce 6xxx series is a great series ]
HDD - Fine
DVD Burner - Fine
ROM Drive - Fine
Case - Fine [ nothing wrong with that, I like the clear arylic cases too :D ]
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that is the Irwindale core but its still not a true 64bit processor.

As for the dual-core, ROCK ON. That's what I'm waiting for. I stil got Athlon XP's, with regular PC3200 DDR and AGP ports man. My systems are aging.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

the processor you're talking about to wait on is Intel's 850? Or are you saying that the cpu i chose will drop it's price in a few months?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Intel 850 is Intels NEW Dual Core Desktop CPU and is currently avaliabel to buy. As it is brand new and Dual Core, the price is a bit high. If your willing to wait a few weeks or months and require that much power, the prices of the Intel 850 should have dropped by then.

No matter what CPU, its price will have dropped in a few months.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

with the hardware i chose, do you think it will still be a decent computer the next 3 or 4 years to come? or by then do you think the hardware i got will be insanely out of date?
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

after reading up on it...intel's dual core is the pentium D and the newer pentium EE processors. But even though it's dual core...i don't think i need that much speed and they too will be EM64T. I'm not gonna be mulit-tasking that crazy with like 25 windows and 10 programs running at one time. But a single core i think will suite my needs for now. After reading some more reviews on the 650, it seems like it's good, but hot and loud.

has anyone used the intel's 650 or what do you just think of it? Is it worth the 400 bucks?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ALL are going to run hot. You need adequate cooling.

Take a look at the best coolers from thermalright and then get a panaflo 120mm fan. Or go with water or pletier plate cooling. Or be crazy and build the system inside a cryovac fridge.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hahahaha....but that's not possible.

I really appreciate the help and i'm sorry if i keep sounding redundent, but..

what does everyone think of the P4 650?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have read reviews on it and it's a decent chip, theres plenty of support for it and makes use of nForce4 [ which can't be bad :D ].

For an Intel chip it does run hot but thats not a problem, AMD still win when it comes to melting your CPU's to your mobo !!

If your worried about the heat and the noise, look into a water cooling.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

now that i've read a lot on the 650...i don't know if i like it anymore. It's benchmarks seems low.

Compared to the AMD Athlon 64 4000+, which is better? Would you rather go with AMD?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I`m an AMD person myself so I would say yes to both your questions.

You need to look at which is going to be better for your requirements. Intel is usually better at apps and AMD rocks in gaming. Recently though with the AMD 64's, they have caught Intel in the apps section.
  • Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks to all the great advice. I think I'll go with the amd processor.

Now i have to pick a mobo that will execute all it's potential. I picked the ASUS A8N-SLI, what would you guys recommend with the Athlon 64 4000+ processor?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of the following most excellent mobos:

A8N-SLI
A8N-SLI Deluxe
DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure the DFI is a great motherboard, but its an absoloute bugger to get working well. If your not very experienced in building pc's then i would stay clear of it.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

*plum* wrote:
Sure the DFI is a great motherboard, but its an absoloute bugger to get working well. If your not very experienced in building pc's then i would stay clear of it.

I would rather have an decent board that is a bit tricky to install rather than a crappy board that installs easily. The DFI is also a great OverClocker and a bit of hard work never hurt anyone.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I were to build a new box, being of sound body and questionable mind:

AMD
Processor: AMD Athlon FX-55 Retail
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Memory: Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel Kit (2GB)
Video: (2x) ASUS EN6800Ultra 512MB SLI***
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 400GB SATA150
Optical: Plextor SATA DVD Burner PX-716SA
Case: Antec Performance TX1088AMG w/ 480W PSU
Price: $2,800

INTEL
Processor: Intel P4 670 EMT64 Retail
Motherboard: Intel 925XEC
Memory: Kingston HyperX PC2 4300 Dual Channel Kit (2GB)
Video: ASUS EN6800Ultra 512MB SLI
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 NCQ 400GB SATA150
Optical: Plextor SATA DVD Burner PX-716SA
Case: Antec Performance TX1088AMG w/ 480W PSU
Price: $2,900

*** Make sure there is enough room between the X16 ports for the massive cards because both are double-din. The Asus board fits the Asus cards perfectly.[/u]

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 28 posts