Which video card??

• pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

My pc has motherboard with no agp slot. I want to buy video card for gaming purpose for atleast 128 mb and if possible it may have output for tv so that I play game on tv. Which card is most suitable for me? It should be pci card as only pci slot is available.
Please,help me. :?:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PCI bus is too slow to run top spec graphics, that's why the came up with AGP in the first place. If you only have PCI slots it sounds as though you have a pretty old setup that is going to need more than a new graphics card if you want to play games.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah it is time to upgrade I agree. There is no way you can run any modern graphics cards on a regular PCI slot with today's games. Also for your information AGP slots are now in the process of being phased out and being replaced with PCIe (PCI Express), so if you are in the market to buy a new motherboard, I would recommend PCIe over AGP.

PCIe supports x1, x2, x4, x8, x12, x16, and x32 link widths. A link is composed of a single lane and each lane supports 2.5Gbps in each direction simultaneously. So a x32 link would support 80Gbps in each directly simultaneously.

For those of you who are debating upgrading a computer solely for the reason for going from AGP to PCIe, it probably isn't worth it yet since you will not see much of a performance increase. If you are in the market of looking for a new motherboard anyway though, then I would definetely choose PCIe. PCIe will eventually show its true potential and is much more capable compared to AGP, and expecially PCI. It is replacing both and after a couple years you can probably expect motherboards to not even have regular PCI or AGP slots anymore.

So overall you are way behind with your motherboard. The market is already starting to phase out of AGP, and you haven't even left regular PCI yet for your video card. I am glad to hear you aren't asking for ISA though! If you are trying to stick to a budget you can probably at least get a board supporting AGP for very cheap.
  • pclovers
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Nagpur, India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yahh, I agree Computer has been advances quickly.
Can you give me the name of pcie slot motherboard (possibly it should be intel original) compatible with Pentium 4 .
I decide to make new CPU.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

pclovers wrote:
Yahh, I agree Computer has been advances quickly.
Can you give me the name of pcie slot motherboard (possibly it should be intel original) compatible with Pentium 4 .
I decide to make new CPU.

A little confused reading this.

Are you after the models of Mobo that support PCI-E or something else ?

You makes CPU's ? :shock:
  • theak
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Taipei, Taiwan

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are literally thousands of different pci-e motherboards that are compatible with Pentium 4s. Just choose your favourite online computer store and have a look around. Personally though I'd save myself some money and get an Athlon, they are so much cheaper than Pentiums it's unreal.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

While I agree that you should probably upgrade, if you have to stick with PCI for now, I have heard good things about the Geforce4 MX4000 PCI.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130186

$50 at newegg
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im guessing you have either a dell or a gateway. Most likely a dell.*shivers i would seriously save the money, and get a entirely new computer. It is not worth the money to buy a PCI graphics card, because the PCI bus is way to slow to support high level grahics.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts