• BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

since the differences between celeron and intel was the cash memory
only >>
is there any other reasons???
what is the main purpose of building celeron mother board??

bc its cheaper??
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kn1ght
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: California - Westminster

Post 3+ Months Ago

isnt celeron a processor?
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kn1ght wrote:
isnt celeron a processor?

yes it is,

maybe i wasn't clear enough???
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Celeron is Intel.. Intel Celeron..

I guessing you mean from the other Intels. Yeah, I do believe I remember this from one of my classes.. I am not 100% on this but I think the "biggest" difference between Celeron and the "other" Intels is the Cash Memory.

Again, I am not 100% on this but I am sure someone else knows for sure..
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i thought so but i wasn't sure!!

i think there are some more reasons??
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kn1ght - you have been warned multiple times to remove or
change your signature. We'll be glad to do it for you if you
don't comply.
  • Alderak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Australia, Vic, Melbourne

Post 3+ Months Ago

maby i can help. There IS another cheaf difference between the two. The celeron signifies a PENTIUM model that didn't pass intels growing standards. They are usually down graded. for example a 2.4gh pentium prototype might be degraded and sold as a 2gh celeron. Thats the word on the street but i think the intel celeron is just a more relible chip than and y other proccessor that why i use them. Theve never let me down :P
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've heard some Pentiums are downgraded to to lower Pentiums, but never heard of them being downgraded to Celerons.
Celerons are generally lower cache, versions of Pentiums with a lesser clock safety margin.

Alderak wrote:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

I heard a funny variation of this the other day,

Quote:
Give a man a fish and he knows where to get fish, teach a man to fish and you just lost part of your customer base
:lol:
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

celeron is the half-assed cheap version of a pentium... i refuse to use them, if you are going to spend the extra money on a intel processor go for the pentium...
  • stewis
  • stewis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Celerons have a lower level of cache so the CPU has less room to store data. you can see what kind of speed advantages cache has by looking at the P4 eXtream eddition and the normal P4's in labtest things (cant think of the word at the moment :D)

The only intel machines i run are my webservers and they HAVE to be P4s and not Celerons as i want the piece of mind and stability of the P4 under higher loads :)

hope my rant helps :D
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only reason I can think of any on purposely buying a Celeron is because they are cheap. Other than that there isn't a good reason to buy one. Although my wife's laptop is a celeron but all she does with it is type term papers and use Yahoo! messenger.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intel Celeron 2.6GHz - 128kb Level 2 cache
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz - 512kb Level 2 Cache

;)

The Pentium 4 has a bigger level 2 cache, so it can store more information closer to the chip. So it can process more, quicker
  • ligerzero03
  • ligerzero03

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I would ever recommend a Celeron for, is just the fact that they are cheap, and an easy solution for someone who wants a basic system with basic capibilities. I started out with a Celeron 2.0 GHz @ 400FSB before I upgraded to my Barton Core, I burned DVD's with it, it served my purpose.

Basically if you want to think of it this way, the Celerons are just the cheap versions of the P4's that weren't up to snuff, so they just slap a 128k Cache on it, and then send it packing. But IMO if you overclock the hell out of a Celeron, it can be pretty appeasing for the general user.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you overclock the hell out of anything your not a general user.

One thing about Celeron is that, having a smaller cache to store info when loaded to the max are more unstable and more like to cause a system crash then a pentium.
  • ligerzero03
  • ligerzero03

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
If you overclock the hell out of anything your not a general user.

One thing about Celeron is that, having a smaller cache to store info when loaded to the max are more unstable and more like to cause a system crash then a pentium.

Actually, that is untrue, it isn't any more or any less stable than a Pentium, more so that the amount of data that sits on cache is less. It just takes longer in the active CPU cycles to get rid of the data.

It would be like saying "I have an 8 Cyl engine, and yours is a 4 Cyl, just because mine is bigger and has a higher output, my engine is less likely to die than yours."

And also, if Celeron's are so unstable, then why do quite a few companies use them for workstations? Obviously they need something that has some type of stability.

Not trying to start an argument here, but why feed people inaccurate information?
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok grab a slower computer load it with info and tell me what happens.

as far as engines if there pulling same weight the 8 cyl will suffer less and have a longer life.

And just because they are used for workstations deosnt mean that they are stable. All new workstations come with the latest version of windows even if it is the most unstable thing in the world. Selling and keeping price down is more important to many companies then quality.

please correct me if i am wrong but use proof dont gimme an analogy to an internal combustion engine
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

From a retail point of view (from my past in retail computer sales), my recollection is that Celeron was based on the Pentium II architecture. For sure it's a stripped down version of the Pentium processors. In regards to AMD, I think I recall one of the primary benefits was a better math co-processor (that's from memory). I always did like AMD chips, but back to the topic. One of my 3 fastest computers uses a 1.0GHz Celeron and it performs way better than I need.

Looking from a marketing standpoint, not everyone needs a Pentium. My computer at work has a P4 and I need it there...but at home I don't. And that's the key -- the majority of the "market" doesn't have a clue what the technology is capable of... especially older folks. They just want a reliable computer that they can use to type letters, browse the internet and send emails (and maybe play a few basic games).

For that the Celeron has it's purpose and as has been stated earlier in this post -- it's cheap and affordable.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

correct ATNO what im trying to say is when heavily loading the computer with programs such as auto cad it is more likely to crash on a celeron.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep -- and for that you might want to go with the AMD and perhaps overclock...but that is NOT what most normal users are going to use a Celeron for...hence my point.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i still remember playing total annihilation on my old patriot P100...
ah the days, it had an AMD k-5 100mhz processor in it lmao!
and 8mb of ram, those were the days.
and i would say that is was one of the most reliable computers i ever had.
I am using a p4 3.0ghz with a 512kb L2 cache, never crashed on me yet...
had it since xmas tho lol
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a p4 3.0C running at 3.54 and it only blue screen ive even gotten was from overclocking it to 3.68
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ThATKiD' wrote:
i have a p4 3.0C running at 3.54 and it only blue screen ive even gotten was from overclocking it to 3.68

If a 1.6g can hit 2.4 stable you should be able to pass 3.54 easy :D

Whatcha coolin it with ?
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

still air cooled. I havent wanted to change the cooling yet because i dont know if i should save money for phase change cooling and reach -35c or get water cooling and just clock out around 4 ghz.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

When making that decision, remember that water cooling is easier to include other parts like video chipsets than it is with phase change. :D
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah that is very true and is 20X cheaper then phase change. I dont know maybe ill just wait till i need it.

*** that little face was a mistake but funny that it came out . . . 20 X is what should say

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts