Why my Power Supply burns out when i play????

• mtorresr
  • Born
  • Born
  • mtorresr

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all, i have changed my power supply 3 times, always when i am playing with my MSI 128 Mb DDR, BOOM!!!!, my computer stop working, and it doesnt starts again.

It works perfect in Windows XP (DVD's, Music, Etc)

I think is the AGP port on my motherboard, or a small power supply (250Watts)

I am investing in a expensive one (500 Watts), do you think will help me out?

Could anybodu help me here?

Thanks,

Miguel Torres
  • Toby01
  • Toby01

Post 3+ Months Ago

just wanted to know does your power go off when u play a game
if so i would like to knoe because i lose power when i try to play a game sometimes i have to pull my power lead out and put it back in to regain power
  • TheBecoming
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheBecoming

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say your power supply is way too small. 250 watts isn't much these days. Personally I'd look into buying an Antec PS. I bought a 480W ATX 12V TRUEPOWER POWER SUPPLY GOLD PLATED $85 from http://www.dljsystem.com/

If your computer is a low end computer, 1-3hds, 1-2dvd roms with a few PCI cards. I'd look at buying a new case with 300-450watt PS. You could get a good case for $80-120. Some thing to think about.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't necessarly need a 500watt PSU.. just find a good brand one like PC Power and Cooling.. or Antec or Enermax, all 3 make great PSUs..

problem with PSU is not all of them are built to the same standard.. so a Generic 500watt PSU might only be as good as a 400Watt Enermax PSU.. one easy way to tell a good PSU from a cheap one is by how heavy it is.. the cheap ons feel really light..

I use a 300Watt Antec True Power and it's powers my PC no problem.. even with a Radeon 9800 Pro AIW installed. and I'm pretty hard on my PC.. it runs 24/7, 356 days a year. When I'm not on it.. it's running at 100% doing Folding@Home
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

people dont realise how much you can put on a 300Watt powersupply... you can put at TON of stuff on one.
My friend has device that tests the wattage available because he works as an electrician and he has a 300watt psu with 3 harddrives a ton of fans, sound card and a high def video card, P4 2.8ghz, Asus mobo, cd burner, dvd burner, full sticks of ram and he still has wattage to spair.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

240w is not enough for games. I used to always spend £30 - £60 on PSU and some of them have failed

Ebuyer.com have a 400w PSU is one of the best and only £9 (about $15 I guess)... its almost silent and I swear by them as do many major PC manufacturers use them in their PC’s .
  • TheBecoming
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • TheBecoming

Post 3+ Months Ago

beings wrote:
people dont realise how much you can put on a 300Watt powersupply... you can put at TON of stuff on one.
My friend has device that tests the wattage available because he works as an electrician and he has a 300watt psu with 3 harddrives a ton of fans, sound card and a high def video card, P4 2.8ghz, Asus mobo, cd burner, dvd burner, full sticks of ram and he still has wattage to spair.

I bought my 480watt because I am running a P4 2.4 with 1 gig of ram, 5 hds, 1 DVD Burner, 1 DVD rom, Floppy, Sound Blaster Platinum Audigy 2, ATA controller, PS video input card with a breakout box, 5 fans, Ti4200 video card with dual monitors, and buncha usb/firewire stuff from time to time.
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

The watts recorded are peek levels not averages! One good 300w PSU may have more power than a poor 300w PSU and will fail. People choose 400w PSU or more to safe guard this and is recommended by companies such as Abit in the manual.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts