Will all PC cards work with all routers and notebooks?

• sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1200, and it does not come with wireless card. It does come with a PC card slot. Now, if my understanding is correct, this slot can be used for wireless cards (after all,where else would they go?).

I am planning to buy a wireless card, in addition to a new router. My question pertains to whether all (or at least most) wireless cards are compatible with all (or most) routers and most notebooks. Is this the case?

I understand there are cases when a card will not work with a router and/or notebook.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as both the card and the router are the same standard, they will work fine. If you get an 802.11b router, get an 802.11b wireless card. The little letter at the end is the key.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keep in mind that B and G are compatible. If you can get a nice deal on 802.11G then take it.

I wouldn't worry much about router to wireless card compatibility, but do worry about pc card to laptop compatibility. I would make sure you can return the pc card if it doesn't work in your laptop. I have actually had a Linksys pc card that didn't work in a newer IBM Thinkpad.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts