Will be buying a laptop soon

• coyouth
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which combination should I get? A laptop with

1. 2048MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM with Intel(R) Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 224MB shared system memory

or

2. 1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM with 128MB ATI Mobility(TM) Radeon(R) X1300 Hypermemory
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for option 2.

A dedicated graphics card is always better than some generic onboard rubbish. Plus, if you need to add more RAM at a later date you are able to, whereas, with option 1, although it has 2GB RAM, you cannont add a GPU to your machine.

Note that Hypermemory basicaly just uses system RAM when your GPU is running low on dedicated RAM.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

cant you add a gfx card to a laptop?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

limbo wrote:
cant you add a gfx card to a laptop?

Not currently no as there is not a standard for laptop connections.

I read somewhere [ cant remember where though ] that ATi, nVidia and a lot of the major laptop manufacturers are looking into creating a standard so that in the future it may be possible to do this sort of thing.
  • business opportunities
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • business opportunities
  • Loc: Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would check too if the memory is running at the same speed as the core of the processor. I know from experience in talking to Dell that some of their machines come with the ram operating at a clock speed slower than the processor. You definitely want them to be running at the same speed or you are spending extra money on the processor and not getting all the benefit. Also, you should get two sticks of ram to take advantage of the dual channel capability of the laptop - even though it requires you to replace both sticks later if you upgrade the ram.
  • coyouth
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

The processor's Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile technology - Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300E (2MB Cache, 1.66 GHz, 667MHz FSB). Is it that necessary to require my rams to run at the same speeds as the processor? Besides that, what do you mean of getting 2 sticks of ram to take advantage of the dual channel capability? I'm thinking of 1GB of ram on 1 side.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts